Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #1761
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

#### close passers. I hate those guys. Its been awhile. Did a big rural ride and no issues, but it was pretty dead out there. Asshats in town need to chill, there's next to no traffic so whats the problem?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #1762
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
went with a trek checkpoint alr5 - a gravel grinder. this exact one:

https://images.app.goo.gl/a7eeRqta7m78LHuE8
Beautiful. I've got my heart set on a Pinarello but not sure the roi is there

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #1763
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
#### close passers. I hate those guys. Its been awhile. Did a big rural ride and no issues, but it was pretty dead out there. Asshats in town need to chill, there's next to no traffic so whats the problem?
Take the whole lane everywhere. There isn’t enough traffic to slow down cars right now so there seems to be more speeding. So my strategy is to generally be in the way if I don’t have a full curb lane.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2020, 04:57 PM   #1764
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
What do you guys carry for tools? Basic multi with a patch kit? Carry it in a Camelbak? Seat post bag? Any suggestions?

And do I really HAVE to wear gear that makes it look like I just came off the Tour?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I hate riding with a pack, so I have a small saddlebag with a tube, patch kit, multi-tool, tire leavers and co2 inflator. I also have a pump, make sure it can go to high pressures, the mtb ones can't usually. I also have a triangle frame bag for snacks and a light jacket.

Always ride as far to the right as possible, you never know when someone isn't paying attention, or is an angry a-hole with a sad, depressing life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I carry a basic multitool, compressed air/inflator, tube, tire levers and a patch. Sometimes I'll bring a small pump too if I know I don't have someone to call-of-shame at home to pick me up.

I don't like riding with a pack either so I use a saddle bag.

I dress like I'm off to the Tour but I do like jerseys for the pockets in the back for my phone, keys and some food. The padded shorts (lycra or baggy) will make for a much more enjoyable ride.

This route is 38km and 250m elevation but is a combination of highway with good shoulders and quiet side roads. Takes you up to Dewinton and back from the centre of Okotoks. Unfortunately, if you're going anywhere but south of Okotoks you're going to have a hill to climb to get anywhere.

https://www.strava.com/routes/26258927
I ride so dangerously these days. I transferred the rack I had on my hybrid bike to my mountain for winter riding, but that bike was stolen, so now I don't have anything. When I commute, I keep my multi-tool, spare tire and pump in my pannier, but I don't have anything to carry that with right now as my commuter is currently out of commission and I only have the hybrid. I just head out and hope for the best, like the unintentional 38km ride I did this afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
I am just wondering if anyone else is seeing an uptick in verbal "attacks" while you are riding out there. I have been using a bit more roads this spring, given the social distancing measures, trying to let family bikers, and walkers own the pathways. Many of the roads have a painted bicycle lane or at least two lanes for each way of traffic. I find more people than ever honking or yelling f-you as they pass me, often in another lane. Maybe its just spring or people have more going on than normal. My wife actually had a lady clip her on Elbow Drive in a school zone where she was keeping up with traffic, and told her it was intentional, and she "knew she wasn't going to hurt her"

Just wondering what you are all experiencing out there. We cycle a lot, a lot on city roads and follow the protocols of "being in traffic". People just seem more on edge.
I had a nasty engagement with a runner pathlete yesterday on the south side of the Bow River by Crowchild. I saw her come off the ped bridge and there was a family ahead of her. I slowed down, rang my bell a fair distance away and passed her, then slipped in behind the family (I'm going maybe 10-15km/h) to wait for them to pass a choke point. The runner proceeded to scream at me to ring my bell. I said I did, but she was just cursing at me. She was wearing headphones. So frustrating.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #1765
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Oh, and commuting, I'm riding in jeans or one of my Western Rise pants, and a workout shirt. But today, for example, just shorts and a workout shirt.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #1766
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
Do tubeless tires seal well and deflate often compared to tubes?

I ride 3-6 k a season depending on weather and have only popped one tube in 5 years. I bring a spare tube just in case but the only time I needed to replace it was because the tire was shredded so a new tube wouldn't have even made a difference.

In terms of tools I have a saddle bag filled with levers, 1 co2 cartridge, a patch kit and 1 tube.

I never really felt like a good pair of bib shorts and jersey mattered. On a short commuting ride (15 km or less I will just wear regular clothes for the most part with a pair of padded baselayers under my shorts. And just a regular dryfit shirt.

I've noticed on the 25-75 km rides the bib shorts and jersey do make a difference. I found regular shorts tended to get caught on the seat and I tore a hole through a pair or two of shorts a season. The Jersey also helps with any sort of drag with headwinds.

Sorry if this post was a bit tldr.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I just started experimenting with tubeless rims/tires. Put some 35mm tires on my new commuter and have been riding a mix of road and gravel, letting the tires lose pressure over time to find their limits. Just did a ride yesterday and found them to have finally crossed the line to "too squishy." Broke out the tire pressure gauge when I got back.

28 PSI, both front and back.

Based on my limited experimentation, I think I'm going to run them at 40 PSI most of the time, as that seems to offer a really nice balance of cushion and roll. Sub-30 is a bit ridiculous.

I'm also setting up a set of 650b rims now so I can roll some more rubber and drop pressures (in theory) even lower. Waiting for a part to come into the LBS, so will have to wait a bit to try that out.

Also, for the commuting/gravel crowd, I recommend messing around with 3M film a bit. Nice to know the bike isn't going to get scratched up every time I lean it against something or lock it up.

Finally, question for commuters: what do you use for a cafe lock? U-locks are the best, but for something lighter, what do people go with? I've just been using a crappy cable lock from Canadian Tire, plus my helmet clipped through my rear spokes. Does the job for a couple of minutes, but would like something a bit better without getting back up to mini u-lock weight.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #1767
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you want something that requires large bolt cutters to defeat to consider it an upgrade over a cable. Almost all of the cable locks can be defeated with hand sized cable cutters. That means at least a heavier chain or U-Lock.

So I just use crappy cable lock to stop in from walking away but that certainly won’t stop in actually theif.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #1768
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Take the whole lane everywhere. There isn’t enough traffic to slow down cars right now so there seems to be more speeding. So my strategy is to generally be in the way if I don’t have a full curb lane.
I was doing this tonight on a single lane road and someone went to pass me on the right anyway. They didn't hit me but I went down anyway. Mostly just little scrapes on my legs but my new bike took a bit of damage. Trying to figure out the extent now and hoping for purely aesthetic damage.... Grumble
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #1769
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
I am just wondering if anyone else is seeing an uptick in verbal "attacks" while you are riding out there. I have been using a bit more roads this spring, given the social distancing measures, trying to let family bikers, and walkers own the pathways. Many of the roads have a painted bicycle lane or at least two lanes for each way of traffic. I find more people than ever honking or yelling f-you as they pass me, often in another lane. Maybe its just spring or people have more going on than normal. My wife actually had a lady clip her on Elbow Drive in a school zone where she was keeping up with traffic, and told her it was intentional, and she "knew she wasn't going to hurt her"

Just wondering what you are all experiencing out there. We cycle a lot, a lot on city roads and follow the protocols of "being in traffic". People just seem more on edge.
I'm going to knock on wood before continuing to type this, but my afternoon commute switching to mainly 20th Avenue has been really good. The road is wide enough that even with the parked cars there is enough room for cars to comfortably pass me without having to go over the center line. Funny thing is with the lights on 20th I tend to catch the same vehicles that pass me at the next set of lights, but I will judge whether or not to filter to the front or queue up behind existing traffic (usually based on if a car is signalling to make a left turn).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:34 AM   #1770
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I was doing this tonight on a single lane road and someone went to pass me on the right anyway. They didn't hit me but I went down anyway. Mostly just little scrapes on my legs but my new bike took a bit of damage. Trying to figure out the extent now and hoping for purely aesthetic damage.... Grumble

Pass on the right???
Old 04-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #1771
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
Pass on the right???
Yep, wish I saw the license plate but I ended up facing the opposite direction on the pavement as they sped off.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #1772
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Yep, wish I saw the license plate but I ended up facing the opposite direction on the pavement as they sped off.

Damn that's terrible. thankfully you didn't get more hurt and hopefully the bike isn't too hurt. I have been riding roads a lot more since the roads have been less busy. But I have started riding with a gopro running continuously, I know it wont get anything from behind (unless I get another facing backwards but at least it may pick up the type of vehicle and possibly the license plate if I was lucky)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #1773
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm going to knock on wood before continuing to type this, but my afternoon commute switching to mainly 20th Avenue has been really good. The road is wide enough that even with the parked cars there is enough room for cars to comfortably pass me without having to go over the center line. Funny thing is with the lights on 20th I tend to catch the same vehicles that pass me at the next set of lights, but I will judge whether or not to filter to the front or queue up behind existing traffic (usually based on if a car is signalling to make a left turn).
I know you work in the NE and commute to Sunnyside so am curious to what part of 20th Ave you use? It's our go to route rather than 16th when we are heading across the centre of town from the NW (by vehicle) and it's awesome but that is with a car. And generally we use it from 19 St to maybe Edmonton Trail.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #1774
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I know you work in the NE and commute to Sunnyside so am curious to what part of 20th Ave you use? It's our go to route rather than 16th when we are heading across the centre of town from the NW (by vehicle) and it's awesome but that is with a car. And generally we use it from 19 St to maybe Edmonton Trail.
I climb the 16th avenue switchback from Fox Hollow, then connect to 20th via 17th avenue and 4th street NE. Then I'll ride it all the way over to 10th street NW or if I want to ride a little longer to 19th street, before connecting with 5th avenue to get into Sunnyside.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:26 AM   #1775
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Heads up. Don't go to Bragg this weekend.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #1776
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Canmore issued a similar statement. Unfortunately there are a lot of people that will ignore this.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #1777
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ based on the pictures i have seen from canmore it looks like anyone who does bike there will be in for a ride with a very low fun factor.

I rode in fish creek last night and there are still skiffs of snow and soft trails there.

mygravel/pathway ride to fish last night was only half fun as all the way there was a battle against the wind - the ride home however.....

k-train will likely be one of the few to laugh at this, but i was just hammering it home down the mackenzie towne home stretch last night and had to slow up for a pedestrian crossing the traffic circle - i felt i would have had a great strava time had it not been for bad timing......oh well, there will be other days with favorable winds - i think......

really enjoying the added flexibility that a gravel bike provides
Old 05-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #1778
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeah, gravel bikes are awesome. I steal my wifes anytime I get a chance. I'm going to get one this year. I love veering off the road onto dirt and exploring now, instead of my usual ride around springbank. I can't wait to mountain bike.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #1779
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
k-train will likely be one of the few to laugh at this, but i was just hammering it home down the mackenzie towne home stretch last night and had to slow up for a pedestrian crossing the traffic circle - i felt i would have had a great strava time had it not been for bad timing......oh well, there will be other days with favorable winds - i think......
Thank you random pedestrian for preventing Northendzone from beating my PR on that segment. He's still 4 seconds slower.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2020, 10:12 AM   #1780
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I also picked up a Checkpoint ALR5 recently and absolutely love it. Fun to ride and works great on and off pavement.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post: