Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Things to do in New Brunswick?

We are flying into Fredericton in 2 weeks and have 2 days to kill before we get the cottage we rented in St Andrews. Looking for suggestions on things to see, do, great pubs or even where to stay for those 2 days. We were thinking about doing one day in Fredericton and the next day in St John so we could drive along the coast to St Andrews.

Definitely will be playing lots of golf! Other then that any suggestions would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With only 2 days to explore Fredericton and Saint John, I fear you will spreading yourself too thin having to stick to a strict timeline of getting to St. Andrews.

Being a New Brunswicker and travelled all over the province, I would recommend getting off the plane and heading straight to Grand Manan Island for a quiet getaway. It happens to be very convenient for your time in St. Andrews afterwards.

If you do insist on touring Fredericton & Saint John, hit up both the Farmer Markets. The Boyce Farmers Market (Saturday only) in Freddy and the City Market (All but Sunday) in Saint John.

Around Fredericton; Boyce Market, Kings Landing, Picaroons Brewery, New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame.

Around Saint John; City Market, Reversing Falls, Martello Tower, St. Martins.

You can't go wrong in NB, in my opinion.

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncton golden flames View Post
With only 2 days to explore Fredericton and Saint John, I fear you will spreading yourself too thin having to stick to a strict timeline of getting to St. Andrews.

Being a New Brunswicker and travelled all over the province, I would recommend getting off the plane and heading straight to Grand Manan Island for a quiet getaway. It happens to be very convenient for your time in St. Andrews afterwards.

If you do insist on touring Fredericton & Saint John, hit up both the Farmer Markets. The Boyce Farmers Market (Saturday only) in Freddy and the City Market (All but Sunday) in Saint John.

Around Fredericton; Boyce Market, Kings Landing, Picaroons Brewery, New Brunswick Sports Hall of Fame.
Around Saint John; City Market, Reversing Falls, Martello Tower, St. Martins.

You can't go wrong in NB, in my opinion.
We already have a trip planned to Grand Manan for a day or two, my wife grew up in St Stephen and worked in St Andrews so we have lots of family in the area and staying with us there. Good to know about Picaroons
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 03:25 PM   #4
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Magnetic Hill!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Magnetic Hill is in Moncton, probably too much driving, but if you do head up that way, drive along the Fundy Trail thru Alma enroute to Moncton to stop at Hopewell Cape.

The Following User Says Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 AM   #6
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great restaurants/bar/pubs all over uptown Saint John.
City Market is a great place to hit for sure.
NB Museum is in the uptown and is great as well.
nice walk along harbour passage over to have a look at the falls.
Check out the Imperial Theatre. It is a beautiful old building

If you are staying uptown everything is connected.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #7
Rjcsjc62
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Its been awhile, however Mactaquac was my favorite golf course in New Brunswick.
Rjcsjc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rjcsjc62 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 09:22 AM   #8
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Magnetic Hill is in Moncton, probably too much driving, but if you do head up that way, drive along the Fundy Trail thru Alma enroute to Moncton to stop at Hopewell Cape.
blech, Magnetic Hill is the worst.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This trip is all about St Andrews and St Stephen for my wife to see her family and show off where she grew up. We are coming back next year for 3 maybe 4 weeks. That trip will be checking out the rest of NB, PEI and NS.

If we stayed in one place both days which would you recommend?
Old 07-06-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjcsjc62 View Post
Its been awhile, however Mactaquac was my favorite golf course in New Brunswick.
Already have 2 tee times at The Algonquin booked I might check out this one as well..
Old 07-06-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

If you're in Fredericton for the evening, check out the Tannery. It's a little square of various pubs and bars. Doolan's would be the main pub, Capital for live music acts (not just pub band like at Doolan's although they have some great pub bands there), Nicky Zee's or whatever it's called is the teeny-bopper dance bar. iRock if it's still called that is just around the corner (again a late night dance club).

If you're there and it's late, grab some Chez Riz Indian food, which is in the back corner of the Tannery. It's greasy, and delicious, and exactly what you want/need after a night of drinking. They sell out of the back of the restaurant kitchen to cater to the bar crowd. There's not much I miss about Fredericton, but by golly, I miss Chez Riz.

Boyce's Market is also great (Saturday mornings) get some samosas, stroll through the vendors.

Picaroon's is one of my favourite breweries. Their Feels Good is my #2 Favourite beer of all time, at 6.2-6.5% if you have two you feel good. It doesn't taste that strong though. Great operation they have going.

If you're into university campuses, UNB and St. Thomas (which basically share the same campus) are really pretty.

Fredericton is a pretty town. Built on a steep hill, and every stop light is read. But a neat place to check out.

Oh Beaverbrook Art Museum is cool too.

I notice that you're a golfer... you're in the wrong part of the Maritimes for golf. You need to come up and visit me for the best courses in the world

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
We are flying into Fredericton in 2 weeks and have 2 days to kill before we get the cottage we rented in St Andrews. Looking for suggestions on things to see, do, great pubs or even where to stay for those 2 days. We were thinking about doing one day in Fredericton and the next day in St John so we could drive along the coast to St Andrews.

Definitely will be playing lots of golf! Other then that any suggestions would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.
Just west of Fredericton is King's Landing its a cool older heritage park concept, with working water driven wood mill.

Also just outside of Saint Andrews is Minster's Island.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Krovikan; 07-06-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:03 PM   #13
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
blech, Magnetic Hill is the worst.
Not when we visited as children. It was ####ing magic to us.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Not when we visited as children. It was ####ing magic to us.
hahaha

and that is why I hate it, my parents took us there numerous times.

Funny.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
This trip is all about St Andrews and St Stephen for my wife to see her family and show off where she grew up. We are coming back next year for 3 maybe 4 weeks. That trip will be checking out the rest of NB, PEI and NS.

If we stayed in one place both days which would you recommend?
personally, i would stay in Fredericton and explore the area. once you're down in st. stephen/st. andrews, making a day trip to saint john is pretty easy.

edit: fredericton is a beautiful city. if you enjoy old houses, there are lots of gorgeous stately homes along the riverfront.

Last edited by moncton golden flames; 07-06-2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: because
Old 07-10-2018, 09:56 AM   #16
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
personally, i would stay in Fredericton and explore the area. once you're down in st. stephen/st. andrews, making a day trip to saint john is pretty easy.

edit: fredericton is a beautiful city. if you enjoy old houses, there are lots of gorgeous stately homes along the riverfront.
Ok so things have changed, my wife’s best friend was able to get time off and is bring our godson down from Halifax for 2 days and we will meet them halfway in Moncton.

Staying at the Delta and assume it is Downtown? We will be going to Shediac for a few hours to visit another friend and will check out hopewell rocks.

Tell me about your town best pub that allows under age folks before 10? If that is a thing there. Any other suggestions would be great! The godson is 14.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:11 AM   #17
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old Triangle right across the street from the Delta, or St James gate just around the corner , Tide and Boar a few doors down are all good.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 AM   #18
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Moncton in my opinion is the least interesting of our 3 cities her in NB. Shediac is good for the day and the beach is great but i wouldn't go in the water. Have been issues with Water quality for years and they cant figure it out.

Hopewell rocks is a great day trip for sure.

Driving the Fundy Trial back from Moncton to Saint John would be a nice way to get back to St Andrews if you aren't rushed. Stop and the caves in St Martins.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:20 AM   #19
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
Moncton in my opinion is the least interesting of our 3 cities her in NB. Shediac is good for the day and the beach is great but i wouldn't go in the water. Have been issues with Water quality for years and they cant figure it out.

Hopewell rocks is a great day trip for sure.

Driving the Fundy Trial back from Moncton to Saint John would be a nice way to get back to St Andrews if you aren't rushed. Stop and the caves in St Martins.
That is why we wanted to stick closer to St Andrews but our friend won’t be leaving Halifax until Friday night so it’s all about making easier for her. We are going to drive the Fundy trail for sure.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #20
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make sure you time your Hopewell rocks trip for low tide, and give yourself some time to walk down. I think the ticket gets you re-entry for the day, so we did one low and one high tide. We stropped in on our way to Fundy park, and on the way back to catch both.

If it is a full moon check out the tidal bore coming up the Moncton river. You can find the time it occurs online. If it is a big tide people surf it, it's actually pretty neat to see.

I found Shediac kinda meh, but go stick your head in the giant lobster claw for a picture.

Joggins Cliffs is neat if you like fossils. This one must be timed with low tide. You can do it on your way to Halifax if the timing works.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote