Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #181
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
We swapped tapes, he was aware of UK punk and I had all these bands he'd read about but never heard (pre internet in those days) all you had was FM radio
so I'd make him MC5, X-RAY SPECS Damned tapes, he'd try and turn me on to GnR and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Liked the chillies as I've said didn't get GnR.
This much is obvious.

I kind of miss making tapes, and sharing tapes between buddies. I had a crap load of music and a large amount of it was from copied records/tapes.

Chillis peaked at Mother's Milk for me.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #182
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also was probably a bit prejudiced against GnR as I could never understand how America could ignore possibly the greatest live rock band in the world in the MC 5 who laboured in obscurity and yet embraced bands like GnR who seemed to me to be pale copies of the real thing.

Probably not suitable for work, or anywhere else for that matter but watch it anyway.

afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:13 PM   #183
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I also was probably a bit prejudiced against GnR as I could never understand how America could ignore possibly the greatest live rock band in the world in the MC 5 who laboured in obscurity and yet embraced bands like GnR who seemed to me to be pale copies of the real thing.

Probably not suitable for work, or anywhere else for that matter but watch it anyway.

Kick our the Jams Mother####er!

Quote:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #184
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

MC5 are quality, but so are GNR (pre-Izzy leaving).

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #185
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Got floor seats 7 rows from the stage in Seattle. I'm pretty pumped.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #186
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This much is obvious.

I kind of miss making tapes, and sharing tapes between buddies. I had a crap load of music and a large amount of it was from copied records/tapes.

Chillis peaked at Mother's Milk for me.
I've still got a thousand dollar tape deck in the attic, can't part with it but never use it, I liked everything about tapes, they worked great anywhere, the decks were insanely stupid complicated bits of engineering that looked like they were designed by the ####### love child of Rube Goldberg and Heath Robinson.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #187
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

AXL Rose broke his foot in Vegas already. The tour must go on.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #188
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I'm guessing he missed Slash's head and kicked the sound monitor by mistake?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:00 PM   #189
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can't believe there's talk of Axl singing with ACDC, Brendon from BCDC should get the spot by a mile.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 PM   #190
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
I believe it was at the surprise warm up show at the Troubadour in Hollywood. Happened a song or two in. Finished the set of course.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #191
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://ca.reuters.com/article/entert.../idCAKCN0XE0BC

I guess it's official. All Rose will front AC/DC for its tour. I am supposing it's temporary, but it does seem like an odd choice, Axl is not bringing strong vocals to the deal so I am assuming it's a name recognition thing.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #192
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They only showed Welcome to the Jungle and November Rain on the coachella stream last night. Weak.

Axl sounded solid during Welcome to the Jungle but not so great during November Rain.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #193
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
http://ca.reuters.com/article/entert.../idCAKCN0XE0BC

I guess it's official. All Rose will front AC/DC for its tour. I am supposing it's temporary, but it does seem like an odd choice, Axl is not bringing strong vocals to the deal so I am assuming it's a name recognition thing.
I saw a clip from Coachella, Axl nailed it for Whole Lotta Rosie. This would be much easier if he stunk, but he didn't.

The thing that ticks me off about this is the uncertainty as to why Brian Johnson either quit or was let go by the band. Brian needs to come out and say something.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #194
chaoticmonk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

umm..

"AC/DC will resume their Rock Or Bust World Tour with Axl Rose joining on vocals," the band announced in a statement Saturday. Rose will take the place of longtime AC/DC vocalist Brian Johnson, who was forced to abruptly quit touring with the group or risk "total hearing loss."

"AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years. We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures," the band said. "As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we understand, respect and support Brian's decision to stop touring and save his hearing. We are dedicated to fulfilling the remainder of our touring commitments to everyone that has supported us over the years, and are fortunate that Axl Rose has kindly offered his support to help us fulfill this commitment."

from rolling stone article
chaoticmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #195
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticmonk View Post
umm..

"AC/DC will resume their Rock Or Bust World Tour with Axl Rose joining on vocals," the band announced in a statement Saturday. Rose will take the place of longtime AC/DC vocalist Brian Johnson, who was forced to abruptly quit touring with the group or risk "total hearing loss."

"AC/DC band members would like to thank Brian Johnson for his contributions and dedication to the band throughout the years. We wish him all the best with his hearing issues and future ventures," the band said. "As much as we want this tour to end as it started, we understand, respect and support Brian's decision to stop touring and save his hearing. We are dedicated to fulfilling the remainder of our touring commitments to everyone that has supported us over the years, and are fortunate that Axl Rose has kindly offered his support to help us fulfill this commitment."

from rolling stone article
Except for the fact that no one has heard Brian say this. Comedian Jim Breuer, who is a friend of Brian's, has come out and said that AC/DC let him go against his will.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #196
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Eddie Trunk has a very interesting take.

http://eddietrunk.com/417-axl-joins-acdc-my-take/

Quote:
The release from AC/DC made it pretty clear they are done with Brian Johnson. What really happened with Brian is anyone’s guess. But nobody is buying the hearing thing that I know. My sources tell me Brian was slowing down and didn’t want to work as hard as Angus (who is younger) did. I also know that on the latest tour Brian only wanted to do 2-3 shows max a week. Something that is expensive for a band when off that much on the road (Aerosmith has to do this with Tyler). It comes with age and guys slowing. I suspect it reached a breaking point and that was that.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #197
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly when Axl is on he is a hell of a vocalist. The problem as I understand it with Axl is that he has a hell of a time getting his instrument ready so to speak. But he's straight up a rock star when he is feeling it.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #198
blueski
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I saw a clip from Coachella, Axl nailed it for Whole Lotta Rosie. This would be much easier if he stunk, but he didn't.

The thing that ticks me off about this is the uncertainty as to why Brian Johnson either quit or was let go by the band. Brian needs to come out and say something.
Meh, still like the lead singer from BC DC Better:

Maybe its cuz I'm hammered every time I see them live. I don't know, axl kind of seemed like he was forcing it.
blueski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #199
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should draft in Angry Anderson of Rose Tattoo, still one of the best bands out of Oz
Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #200
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The show was waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy better than I had expected. They were awesome. Axl sounded great and was really into it - the throne thing wasn't really a hindrance at all. And they showed up on time! Great show. Would definitely recommend checking it out.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote