Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #241
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how any fan can have strong feelings one way or the other. Unless you know these players personally, you don't know what kind of leadership they have or don't have.

We can make some inferences based on things like who wore A's for a long time, but that's about it. Except for his rookie season, Monahan has worn a letter his entire Junior and Pro career. He seems like a legitimate front runner, along with Backlund to me.

With Tkachuk's uncertain future, not sure he is a good candidate unless a big extension is being announced soon.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #242
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The game you are thinking of was January 11 2020. There was a November 2018 game in which Draisaitl kept hitting a lot and then Tkachuk wouldn’t fight Kassian. But that wasn’t the famous game in which Kassian lost it.
No it is not the game I am thinking about. Here is a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/VXQyI4TO5Js

Do people forget the game in 2020 was the second time Kassian snapped and attacked Tkachuk?
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #243
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based solely on ice performances, you’d probably say Tanev and Lindholm are consistently good. I’d argue that Lucic tends to up his game more than the others when the team is facing difficulties (but not always able to do enough to eke out a win).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #244
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
No it is not the game I am thinking about. Here is a link to the video.

https://youtu.be/VXQyI4TO5Js

Do people forget the game in 2020 was the second time Kassian snapped and attacked Tkachuk?
That’s not the game people think about when you say Kassian “lost it”. And in fact, Tkachuk was being picked on that whole game by Kassian and Draisaitl, not the other way around. And Edmonton won the next game against Calgary (and went 2 of 3 against them the rest of the year).
Old 09-17-2021, 10:29 AM   #245
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not the game people think about when you say Kassian “lost it”. And in fact, Tkachuk was being picked on that whole game by Kassian and Draisaitl, not the other way around. And Edmonton won the next game against Calgary (and went 2 of 3 against them the rest of the year).
There are multiple games and I referred to them as big win games and referenced the year 2018. Just because you don’t remember that game as well as 2020 is irrelevant to me. I didn’t call the 2018 game the big game I mentioned it as one of the big games.

Do yourself a favor and check the Flames record in that season before and after that game it was truly a turning point
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #246
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Did Giordano? Because he is known as great captain and didn't ever really drag the team to success in the playoffs or key games either. All of the Flames best players have had that problem.

Tkachuk needs to be better for sure, but he brings things that I want to see more of from the team. He hates losing, he gets emotionally involved in the game (which I think forces his teammates to), he defends his teammates when needed (in game and in the media). He just has a general GAF meter that is way higher than what we are used to seeing in this organization. Sure sometimes he needs to apply some more maturity to situations but he's young and will learn. And I still believe he's going to be a player that will score key goals and make big plays when it matters for this team.

Frankly I think the Flames need to move away from what has been the traditional captaincy model, and that's not disrespect to Giordano or even going back to Iginla who I think was the GOAT captain for this team. The Flames don't need nice guys that keep things comfortable anymore, its time to demand a little more. And if Tkachuk rubs the opposition the wrong way, you better join him instead of complaining that he needs to tone it down. It's time for a culture change.
What about, what about….

If the team says things about Tkachuk that they said about Gio then I’ll happily eat crow. You made a claim, that’s bogus in my opinion. And I’ll never debate with an actual captaincy decision, because those on the inside know.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #247
DomeFoam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tanev should be captain. Consistency should be the highest goal especially when it comes to this team, and he is the epitome of that. Doesn't try to be what he is not, and you can count on him to do what he does well. Nothing else should matter unless he's a total dickhead in the room.
DomeFoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:56 AM   #248
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomeFoam View Post
Tanev should be captain. Consistency should be the highest goal especially when it comes to this team, and he is the epitome of that. Doesn't try to be what he is not, and you can count on him to do what he does well. Nothing else should matter unless he's a total dickhead in the room.
Agreed. It'll be Tanev for the next 2 years. He'll hand the C to the next Captain in the 4th year of his contract.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:15 PM   #249
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Not sure how any fan can have strong feelings one way or the other. Unless you know these players personally, you don't know what kind of leadership they have or don't have.

We can make some inferences based on things like who wore A's for a long time, but that's about it. Except for his rookie season, Monahan has worn a letter his entire Junior and Pro career. He seems like a legitimate front runner, along with Backlund to me.

With Tkachuk's uncertain future, not sure he is a good candidate unless a big extension is being announced soon.
I agree that when it comes to stuff like this fan’s opinions should be discounted however not entirely discounted.

It’s not like nobody has any clue whatsoever at all times. So let’s just stop pretending like all fans are completely in the dark at all times because they simply are not. Furthermore they definitely can have very valid opinions with respect to on ice leadership which I would think matters quite a bit (far more?) than whatever Al Pacino-esque speeches some guy is launching into in the dressing room.

Insofar as off-ice rumour mongering or speculation about a players leadership is probably not helpful and I know this site doesn’t like rumours but not 100% of rumours are false either so let’s get real here it is not like all these people have no clue what is going on.

Appeals to authority is CP’s new thing and it’s frankly wrong. It also sort of runs counter to the point of this website.

Do you think all the Flames players don’t meet any people in Calgary, make no friends with anyone and don’t share insider info to anyone? Like it’s simply impossible to know anything that happens?

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 09-17-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #250
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I just don't think it matters—especially not with Sutter behind the bench. He will ensure that whoever the captain is, he will be on point and will do what is expected of him, but this team's success or failure will be determined by how well the players are buying in to what the coaches are saying.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 06:34 PM   #251
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The best fighter = captain. Fighting tournament.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaneuf_Phan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #252
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is the next rumour, the goalie will wear pads?
BagoPucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 08:22 PM   #253
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw the 32 thoughts bit with Tkachuk. Not your captain. There's lots of 'I' in that team.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:04 PM   #254
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status...20792751263744

To be fair, Tkachuk sounds like he is joking around. I think it's more being cutthroat to negotiate your contract because the NHL is a business. A team won't hesitate telling you it's a business when they cut you from the team/buy you out. It's a fair point of view. That said, I hope the Flames don't end up with an anchor of a contract to keep Tkachuk.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:02 AM   #255
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status...20792751263744

To be fair, Tkachuk sounds like he is joking around. I think it's more being cutthroat to negotiate your contract because the NHL is a business. A team won't hesitate telling you it's a business when they cut you from the team/buy you out. It's a fair point of view. That said, I hope the Flames don't end up with an anchor of a contract to keep Tkachuk.
I got about 1% joking around and 99% serious out of the whole bit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #256
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I got about 1% joking around and 99% serious out of the whole bit.

For me, it came across as being proud of being tough to negotiate with. I can definitely see your point of view though. I am also of the believe that hockey players should look out for themselves, and that's it's a tough business. That's where you hope you have a savvy GM that can navigate those negotiations, or even resort to trades to get assets with more team control in return.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 10:12 AM   #257
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
For me, it came across as being proud of being tough to negotiate with. I can definitely see your point of view though. I am also of the believe that hockey players should look out for themselves, and that's it's a tough business. That's where you hope you have a savvy GM that can navigate those negotiations, or even resort to trades to get assets with more team control in return.
At the end of the day there's about 0% chance you give that guy the 'C'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 10:38 AM   #258
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quite the overreaction.

Tkachuk is saying/acting publicly here what the overwhelming majority of players say/act privately during negotiations. It’s a business and they need to fight for as much compensation as they can, while the GMs also need to fight for as little compensation as they can.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:20 AM   #259
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Quite the overreaction.

Tkachuk is saying/acting publicly here what the overwhelming majority of players say/act privately during negotiations. It’s a business and they need to fight for as much compensation as they can, while the GMs also need to fight for as little compensation as they can.
Saying it publicly isn’t a good look.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2021, 11:38 AM   #260
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Saying it publicly isn’t a good look.
What’s wrong with yelling “nice tits!” at someone when everyone is thinking it?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: