Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #421
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seattle is going to have a very deep team as well.

I think the fact that every expansion team prior to Vegas really struggled, skewed the perception of what Vegas was getting in their draft. We knew they were better off than past expansion teams, but didn't realize just how much. Now we know. 100+ point team capable of reaching deep into the playoffs, beating some of the leagues best along the way.

The 7-3-1 or 4-4-1 format allows the expansion team get quality NHLers off of every roster, giving them deadly depth and leading to some career seasons for many players due to an increased role with increased ice time. And it certainly had some GMs making some silly decisions in hindsight. We'll see if they make the same mistakes, or if they've learned from it, but they are really backed into a corner with those loose protection formats.

The Flames are likely going to lose a much better player than Deryk Engelland this time around as well.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:35 AM   #422
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The Knights made some savvy moves (Panthers for example) and lucked out by 1 team having 2 of the best goalies in the league. I doubt they are so lucky in terms of goaltending this time. But they are paying full price for an NHL team, and deserve to have one that can compete.

I too am nervous about what the Flames will lose. Likely a roster defenseman.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:29 AM   #423
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Group has brought on Dave Tippett as an advisor: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...-dave-tippett/

Last edited by keenan87; 06-18-2018 at 11:32 AM.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:55 AM   #424
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Seattle is going to have a very deep team as well.

I think the fact that every expansion team prior to Vegas really struggled, skewed the perception of what Vegas was getting in their draft. We knew they were better off than past expansion teams, but didn't realize just how much. Now we know. 100+ point team capable of reaching deep into the playoffs, beating some of the leagues best along the way.

The 7-3-1 or 4-4-1 format allows the expansion team get quality NHLers off of every roster, giving them deadly depth and leading to some career seasons for many players due to an increased role with increased ice time. And it certainly had some GMs making some silly decisions in hindsight. We'll see if they make the same mistakes, or if they've learned from it, but they are really backed into a corner with those loose protection formats.

The Flames are likely going to lose a much better player than Deryk Engelland this time around as well.
The Flames could end up protecting the exact same players except maybe swapping Lazar for someone.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #425
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the draft was today, I would go with 4-4-1

Forwards: Gaudreau,Monahan,Tkachuk,Jankowski/Backlund
Defense: Giordano, Hamilton, Brodie, Hamonic
Goalie: Smith
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #426
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post

No. I think I would use the additional protected spot for a forward, and expose Brodie with the expectation that room needs to be made for incoming promising prospects on defense:

Forwards: Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Jankowski, Backlund, Bennett, Ferland
Defense: Giordano, Hamonic, Hamilton
Goalie: (probably) Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #427
Ulrith
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I think it would be a much smarter idea to try and flip Brodie and go 7-3-1. I believe Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki and Fox would all be automatically protected and that would allow protection of more forwards.
Ulrith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulrith For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:14 PM   #428
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Bennett is the no brainer selection from that result.

Would Jankowski be eligible? He will be finished his third year as a pro but only his second NHL season. I guess he would.

For kicks:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...the-mock-draft
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #429
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Assuming the draft was today, you wouldn't have to protect Tkachuk or Jankowski because they wouldn't have had 3 years pro experience under their belt yet. Next year is a totally different matter though. But if it was next year, would you really protect smith, who would be a 37 year old UFA? Rittich and Gillies would likely be eligible for that draft too.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 06-18-2018 at 01:30 PM.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 PM   #430
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'd still to 7-3-1, also Tkachuk and Jankowski only have 2 years of professional experience so they'd be exempt.

Forwards: Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, Bennett, Ferland, Frolik, Hathaway
Defense: Giordano, Hamilton, Hamonic

If it were to happen today, the battle becomes between protecting Brodie or Bennett and Ferland - who do you want to pick? I'd expose Brodie, and we'd likely lose him - or I would have traded Brodie at the trade deadline this past year when it was pretty clear we were already boned.

Now, if we're looking at 2020-2021 as an expansion, with the same rules...jeepers, it gets tough because the only two notable players we have that would be exempt would be Fox and Valimaki, as Fox would have a max of 1 pro year played while Valimaki would have 2 - and the tipping point is 3 years of pro experience.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #431
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

On another note what does the Pacific division look like after a Seattle expansion?

The East is probably left alone, but Seattle clearly gets put in the Pacific.

Seattle
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona
San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles
Las Vegas

My guess is that Arizona moves to the Central.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #432
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
On another note what does the Pacific division look like after a Seattle expansion?

The East is probably left alone, but Seattle clearly gets put in the Pacific.

Seattle
Calgary
Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona
San Jose
Anaheim
Los Angeles
Las Vegas

My guess is that Arizona moves to the Central.
There was some talk on 960 this year (can't remember who) that Chicago would move to the east, and Edmonton and Calgary would move to the central

Hope that doesn't happen.

Edit: if I remember correctly, that might have included plans to move Carolina to Quebec.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 06-18-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #433
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanTrev View Post
There was some talk on 960 this year (can't remember who) that Chicago would move to the east, and Edmonton and Calgary would move to the central

I’d be down.

8pm puck drop SUCKS (10pm for me).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM   #434
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames lose a 37 year old goalie that would be one of the best possible outcomes for that draft.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:27 PM   #435
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That makes no sense. They don't need to add teams to the East.

The league will almost-certainly not split up the Flames and Oilers and would probably prefer them to be in the same Division as the Canucks too.

The two most-likely scenarios would see either Arizona move into the Central with Seattle in the Pacific (even easier if the Coyotes were to move to Houston); or Colorado moves into the Pacific and the Flames and Oilers move into the Central.

Either way, the Pacific Division would have 6 Pacific Time Zone teams and 2 Mountain Time Zone teams; and the Central would have 6 Central Time Zone teams and 2 Mountain Time Zone teams. The advantage of keeping Arizona in the Pacific is that because Arizona doesn't go on DST, their time is in-sync with the Pacific for the first and last months of the season as well as all of the playoffs. The advantage of moving Arizona to the Central is that it keeps the 3 Canadian teams in the same Division and disrupts the fewest existing teams from the current status quo.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #436
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That makes no sense. They don't need to add teams to the East.

The league will almost-certainly not split up the Flames and Oilers and would probably prefer them to be in the same Division as the Canucks too.

The two most-likely scenarios would see either Arizona move into the Central with Seattle in the Pacific (even easier if the Coyotes were to move to Houston); or Colorado moves into the Pacific and the Flames and Oilers move into the Central.

Either way, the Pacific Division would have 6 Pacific Time Zone teams and 2 Mountain Time Zone teams; and the Central would have 6 Central Time Zone teams and 2 Mountain Time Zone teams. The advantage of keeping Arizona in the Pacific is that because Arizona doesn't go on DST, their time is in-sync with the Pacific for the first and last months of the season as well as all of the playoffs. The advantage of moving Arizona to the Central is that it keeps the 3 Canadian teams in the same Division and disrupts the fewest existing teams from the current status quo.
NM not the map I thought it was. I will keep searching see if I can find something.

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 06-18-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #437
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know how to embed, hopefully this link works. Essentially, it would be rearranged to 5 divisions.

https://goo.gl/images/XDSrTY
That is a 30 team alignment.

It is missing Las Vegas and Arizona.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #438
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
That is a 30 team alignment.

It is missing Las Vegas and Arizona.
Yea I caught that too. I found this one, but it suggests that Carolina and Phoenix moves to Houston and Quebec. But it doesn't end up moving the flames or oilers to the "Central".

http://www.tomfulery.com/wp-content/...nd-Seattle.png

Anyways, I don't know who's musings had the flames and oilers moving to the central, I don't have any proof or proposals for such a thing. I definitely don't see how it happens unless they go to 5 or 6 divisions. I just really hope that it doesn't happen. Assuming Doughty re-signs in LA, I would miss Tkachuk setting up shop in his head.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #439
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Seattle won't get to draft from Vegas.
And Vegas won't get any share of the expansion dollars. Seems fair to me.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #440
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looking at it from different perspective, it would be really interesting to see how the Seattle group will handle this in comparison what Vegas did and how their future team will perform. Even if the rules are the same, they could be taking a different approach given what players are available. Some GMs of other team probably learned their lesson with all those undisclosed agreements too. Some organisations thought it would be great to use Vegas as a junkyard for some expensive contracts and we have seen how that worked out...
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote