Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Austin Carroll 0 0%
Dillon Dube 74 22.09%
Zach Fischer 0 0%
Spencer Foo 117 34.93%
Garnet Hathaway 3 0.90%
Josh Healey 0 0%
D'Artagnan Joly 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 0 0%
Morgan Klimchuk 2 0.60%
Brett Kulak 24 7.16%
Linus Lindstrom 0 0%
Ryan Lomberg 0 0%
Andrew Mangiapane 48 14.33%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Mason McDonald 0 0%
Adam Ollas-Mattsson 1 0.30%
Matthew Phillips 7 2.09%
Emile Poirier 24 7.16%
Brett Pollock 0 0%
Daniel Pribyl 3 0.90%
Rushan Rafikov 1 0.30%
David Rittich 25 7.46%
Adam Ruzicka 0 0%
Nick Schneider 0 0%
Hunter Shinkaruk 6 1.79%
Hunter Smith 0 0%
Fililp Sveniingsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 0 0%
Tyler Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 335. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #21
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll be voting Dube -> Mangiapane -> Foo -> Rittich -> Kulak.

Was really excited to see Klimchuk do well this season, but the guy just can't seem to stay healthy.
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:52 PM   #22
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
Not sure what Mangiapane has to do to get more respect around here... Maybe put some lifts in his skates? Back to back 100 point seasons in junior and 20 goals in 66 games as a 20 year old AHL rookie...
We have now been seeing incredulous retorts exactly like this in every one of the past five or six rounds. I don't believe there are any prospects being overlooked or slighted here. Rather to the contrary this looks to be a sign that the Flames prospect depth is actually quite deep, and at a number of positions.

Honestly, every one of the prospects who ends up in the top-ten this year is a really good prospect with a very bright future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 02:00 PM   #23
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Really starting to get tough to decide.

Rittich, Dube, Foo, Poirier, Mangiapane, Kulak, Shinkaruk, Kilmchuk all somewhat in contention in my mind for the next however many spots. Hmmmm I'm going to have to puzzle this one over for a few mins. C'mon lets hear those compelling arguments people!

I'll get back to ya
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #24
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Really starting to get tough to decide.

Rittich, Dube, Foo, Poirier, Mangiapane, Kulak, Shinkaruk, Kilmchuk all somewhat in contention in my mind for the next however many spots. Hmmmm I'm going to have to puzzle this one over for a few mins. C'mon lets hear those compelling arguments people!

I'll get back to ya
Well, it can't be either Kulak or Rittich. Neither one's name reaches the same threshold of awesomeness as any of the other choices you have listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #25
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am a little torn between Foo and Mangiapane. I get the feeling that Mangiapane has the higher ceiling, but Foo has the easier path given his age and size.

I like Dube a lot as well.

I am biased against goalies, but I do like Rittich as well.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:09 PM   #26
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Dube for me. Don't get the Foo love, who was this guy when he was Dube's age?
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #27
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor Kulak is the forgotten man.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #28
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I chose Kulak because he has the highest floor, he is the most likely to crack the NHL. Moreover, he is only 23 years old, and the NHL average for defense is 27, so what we see now may not be the limits of his ability.

The top ten is a fair spot given his body of work.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #29
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Foo for the 3rd vote in a row. I think this might be his round.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #30
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I'm voting with a hope that Poirier is on his way back to his old self...because if he is, he's at the top of this remaining list.
If Poirier gets back to his old self he's easily a top 5 prospect. Wouldn't that be like found money after many seemingly wrote him off?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #31
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Alright here's my arguments for them:

Rittich - Outshone Gillies slightly last year. Big goalie who turned a lot of heads. Small sample size in NA but seems like he could be a diamond in the rough. That said he's a goalie and they often have very up and down development paths. Could be dangerous to read too much into his small sample size in NA so far.

Dube - Impressive in juniors, impressive at the WJC. That said his numbers aren't mind blowing. Slightly below average size. Is he a potential 2nd/3rd liner? How valuable is that compared to a potential starting goalie or frankly even a 4/5 dman? I think I may have talked my way out of voting for him yet.

Foo - Impressive breakout year in college. Probably one of the more NHL ready prospects left on the list so he has that going for him. He also plays a position that we're organizationally weak in so you know he'll get a shot at some point. May have a similar upside to Dube, Klimchuk, Poirier but is closer to achieving it so I think he's a solid vote here. That said it may be a case of "shiny new toy" syndrome to quote from previous threads. He did seem to be coveted by many teams and the Flames seem very happy to get him. Gulutzan didn't rule out him making the team out of camp. Reading between the lines it seems he's a valuable prospect but many of us haven't had a chance to see him much so we're really voting based on stats and hearsay for this one.

Poirier - Obviously his struggles are well documented. He still has the high upside he had when we originally drafted him. Potential 2nd line winger with speed, scoring and feistiness combined with decent size. Depends if you want to emphasize the upside or take a wait and see approach.

Mangiapane - Perhaps the most offensive upside of the remaining prospects but he is undersized. He's proven it now in pro but the question will still remain if he can do it vs big, strong NHL dmen. I like his upside

Kulak - Plays arguably the most valuable position. Upside is probably a #4/5 at best, likely bottom pairing. I don't like rushing young dmen so IMO not a huge knock on him that he's taken a while. Big question is, have we seen most of what he is or is there another step he can take? His waiver status is a bit problematic but I think he stands a very good chance of making the roster this year. His NHL readiness is probably highest on this list so that should work in his favour. I think he's getting a bit underrated at the moment.

Shinkaruk - Small, one dimensional scoring winger. That said he's a lot feistier than I thought he'd be, he's not scared to go to the hard areas. But is his dimension good enough to stick? Time is starting to run out. If he clears waivers he'll probably get some chances this year due to injuries and it'll be up to him to capitalize on them.

Klimchuk - Sounds like a jack of all trades master of none type player. Well rounded, plays an intelligent mature game. Maybe a better bet to make the NHL in some capacity than guys like Poirier, Mangiapane and Shinkaruk but the offensive upside is a bit lower IMO. He had a very solid year after having injury problems for multiple seasons.

Philosophically I think defense, centre and goaltending are the most important positions. So that does factor in somewhat for me. I think in the end I've talked myself into Rittich, Kulak or Foo. Hmmm....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #32
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Well, it can't be either Kulak or Rittich. Neither one's name reaches the same threshold of awesomeness as any of the other choices you have listed.
And yet they play the more important positions than most of the forwards I've talked about. I think Kulak is getting underrated somewhat. A young, reliable bottom pairing dman may still be more valuable overall than guys who have only a chance at being 2nd/3rd line wingers. His NHL readiness and likelihood of achieving his potential are both high IMO. Kulak and Hathaway are the two most NHL ready prospects left but Hathaway as a 4th line winger obviously holds much less value.

I don't know Rittich's chances at developing into a starting NHL goalie but he had a very impressive year and I like his size. A starting NHL goalie is way more valuable than a bottom pairing dman or 2nd/3rd line forward. Very impressive stats and performances by him in a limited sample size. Hard to judge.

I actually have Rittich and Kulak as two of the favourites for this spot for those reasons.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #33
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Dube for me, I'm leaning towards Foo next, then one of Mangiapane, Poirier, or Kulak.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #34
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

I'll be voting Kulak now until he's selected.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #35
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked Foo but now I'm thinking that is a bit of the shiny new toy syndrome.. Think I am underappreciating Mangiapane..
Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #36
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I chose Kulak because he has the highest floor, he is the most likely to crack the NHL. Moreover, he is only 23 years old, and the NHL average for defense is 27, so what we see now may not be the limits of his ability.

The top ten is a fair spot given his body of work.
I went with Kulak as well in the end. I think your reasoning is solid
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #37
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Mangiapane ... undersized
No more than guys like Sheary, Cammalleri, and Marchand.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #38
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Mangiapane has had three amazing seasons in a row, and I think he has solid middle six forward potential, but I just love the game Dube plays more. He plays with the grit, greasiness, intensity and passion of a 2014 Lance Bouma, but with great hands and offensive instincts. Two great forward prospects.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #39
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just as an aside, I just had lunch with an Assistant GM from another NHL team and he believes that Foo will make the Flames out of camp. He really likes him as a player and they had tried to sign him.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hell if I know.

Reading some of the earlier posts,think I'll go with Mangiapane.

Looking at #8 the last 4 years it has been Knight, Reinhart, Granlund and poirier. So there is one legit NHLer in the group.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote