Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #741
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
One is a 40 year old at the end of his career, and the other is 25 with his whole career in front of him. He's expected to only get better from here. Iginla is expected to get worse. Those totals just happen to be where they cross along the way.
And without checking, I'm betting Iggy got a lot more PP time (where he picked up a lot of his points).

What were Ferland's pro-rated totals when actually playing first line minutes (with first line players)? Ferland played himself up the lineup. Iggy played himself down over his time in Colorado (not a slam - just an age factor).
Old 07-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #742
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Sounds like Iginla wants to go to the Oilers, but the Oilers aren't making any moves until the Draisaitl contract is settled.
Sounds coming from where, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #743
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Why from the biggest food court there is! The West Edmonton Mall!
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
KPJ
Old 07-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #744
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding Boston:

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/m...ginla-and-doan

Quote:
*The immediate NHL futures for both Jarome Iginla and Shane Doan are still unclear as they hope to continue their playing careers. Iginla bought a house in the Boston area that led some to speculate he might be returning to the Bruins, but the reason behind that property transaction was one of his children opting to play prep school hockey in the area. I remember Iginla raving about the youth hockey programs and people in Boston in the brief time he played here.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:50 AM   #745
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm guessing that crevice just underneath his tailbone.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #746
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Eric Francis was on Fan960 last Friday, and also hinted at the situation was not great between the Flames and Iginla when he left.

His point of view, signing won't happen.
Completely different management and coaching staff at that point though, plus most of the players Iginla played with are gone.

I agreed there are reservations, but Iginla is a pro(as evidenced by the fact that he never said a single bad thing about Calgary when he was traded).
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #747
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Completely different management and coaching staff at that point though, plus most of the players Iginla played with are gone.
True, and present management (Burke anyway) doesn't even like the guy who traded Iginla.

I was thinking about what players were here because of the "leadership disruption" argument. It's only Stajan, Gio, Brodie and Backlund. Methinks all those guys are level headed.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #748
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Just interpreting speculation from within this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromer2.0 View Post
Really close to signing with Calgary. Am told has real interest in playing with the Oilers but talks have cooled off.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #749
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
True, and present management (Burke anyway) doesn't even like the guy who traded Iginla.

I was thinking about what players were here because of the "leadership disruption" argument. It's only Stajan, Gio, Brodie and Backlund. Methinks all those guys are level headed.
I have no idea if there were hard feelings, but if there were, the fact that management has turned over means nothing if the hard feelings that Iginla (allegedly) has flows all the way to the top of the organization (President and Owner) as they are the same. And that's not a comment about meddling owner and president. A player of Iginla's caliber and meaning to franchise doesn't get traded by any team in this league without ownership involvement, despite what we all might want or think. If Iggy feels miss treated by our ownership group at the end there, it won't matter that the ownership group has completely replaced the hockey ops department since his departure.

All of that said with me having no reason to believe he does harbor hard feelings.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #750
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I have no idea if there were hard feelings, but if there were, the fact that management has turned over means nothing if the hard feelings that Iginla (allegedly) has flows all the way to the top of the organization (President and Owner) as they are the same.
I can't see how Iginla would hate the owners or King. They were the ones that held on to him for as long as humanly possible.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #751
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I have no idea if there were hard feelings, but if there were, the fact that management has turned over means nothing if the hard feelings that Iginla (allegedly) has flows all the way to the top of the organization (President and Owner) as they are the same. And that's not a comment about meddling owner and president. A player of Iginla's caliber and meaning to franchise doesn't get traded by any team in this league without ownership involvement, despite what we all might want or think. If Iggy feels miss treated by our ownership group at the end there, it won't matter that the ownership group has completely replaced the hockey ops department since his departure.

All of that said with me having no reason to believe he does harbor hard feelings.
I truly feel the hard feelings would be on the side of Ken King and the owners. The Iginla trade came a month or 2 after the RoR fiasco which was the height of the Flames time as one of the biggest jokes in the league. I remember Len King getting roasted on Prime time sports with Macowen who got him to admit they probably should have got Iggy to sign off on the Boston trade 100% before making it.

Based on how the media ripped the Flames for how the deal went down I could see a bit of resentment from the ownership group and King
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #752
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I truly feel the hard feelings would be on the side of Ken King and the owners. The Iginla trade came a month or 2 after the RoR fiasco which was the height of the Flames time as one of the biggest jokes in the league. I remember Len King getting roasted on Prime time sports with Macowen who got him to admit they probably should have got Iggy to sign off on the Boston trade 100% before making it.
Wasn't all of that on Feaster though?
Old 07-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #753
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I can't see how Iginla would hate the owners or King. They were the ones that held on to him for as long as humanly possible.
The only reason would be if Iggy was told (by Feaster I guess) that the ownership wanted him gone or weren't willing to meet any salary demands.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #754
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

There shouldn't be any grudge or hard feelings from Iginla's side. I remember Feaster in one of his media availabilities prior to the trade (fairly sure before the trade itself anyways) about a few discussions he had with Iginla throughout the season. I think the first time he brought it up with Iginla was at the end of the prior season, and then once the lockout was over he again approached Iginla about potentially moving him.

It was worded something loosely like: "We are still intent on winning here, but if things don't work out this organization will commence a rebuild. How do you feel about staying or going elsewhere?"

I think Feaster handled that aspect correctly. I believe Iginla was given a choice (though encouraged to move on) early on in the process. He didn't get approached near the trade deadline with some kind of ultimatum or firm request.

I think right up until the trade itself, Feaster handled Iginla correctly and showed a lot of class and respect. The moments after the trade - once he figured out he pooched himself by not getting Iginla to actually sign-off on all 4 teams - maybe the organization deserved a bit of flak for that. Give the guy the option to pick his final destination with what he feels is the best chance to win the cup (and the Pens were on a roll then), and he will take it.

Still, I can't imagine Iginla got too upset about what Feaster and Ken said in the media. If anything, it was Chiarelli that jumped the gun and announced the dam trade before it became official. Iginla must have realized at that point that Feaster and King were probably having to do some fire-fighting. Heck, with some hindsight, Iginla probably regrets not signing off on his 4 team list considering the best offer ended up coming from the Stanley Cup winners that year.

Calgary always treated Iginla with a lot of respect. They paid him well. The organization did their very best to build a team around him. I couldn't imagine there would be hard feelings, as they never shoved him out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #755
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Calgary want him back?

Seems like Iginla effectively got traded for nothing last deadline.

A conditional 4th based on whether the Kings made the playoffs or Iginla resigned I believe.

Seems like if any playoff team had wanted Iginla, they could have had him.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a contract this summer.

I think he can probably still help, but I wouldn't want to bet more than a $1 million on it if I were a GM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #756
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Eric Francis was on Fan960 last Friday, and also hinted at the situation was not great between the Flames and Iginla when he left.

His point of view, signing won't happen.
There's a reason the Fan 960 hasn't made this a regular discussion and it's because many know the relationship went a little sour at the end. It's why I keep saying that neither party is likely interested in a reunion.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 PM   #757
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I am not able to listen to the station, this does seem like a credible point of view. Kind of a passive approach to dealing with the subject, without overtly alienating Flames management or their fans.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #758
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC Francis wrote a column stating that Iginla wasn't going to sign with Calgary so Feaster was forced to trade him. I like the background Calgary4Life gives though that he didn't want to stick around for a rebuild, which is fair.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #759
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

So this rumour is effectively dead, yes? If it was as close to happening as was implied we would have heard something form a reputable source by now.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #760
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

We need more insider secrets! Where did our confidants go?
Closed Thread