Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #481
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

1. Sign Iggy for 1yr.
2. Fans go crazy and want to see Iggy play
3. Raise ticket prices
4. Profit!
5. BUILD CALGARYNEXT
Old 07-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #482
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy city View Post
1. Sign iggy for 1yr.
2. Fans go crazy and want to see iggy play
3. Raise ticket prices
4. Profit!
5. Build calgarynext
6. Retire Iggy's number, no "forever a flame" crap
fyp
The Following User Says Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #483
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappin Tappin View Post
So I wasn't planning on posting this because I wanted to keep my conversation private, but just to dispel the notion by some here that Iggy would never want to come back here, I will tell my story. Mods feel free to PM to get further detail and facts.

I spoke to a member of Flames management last week and jokingly asked if we were bringing back Iggy. The individual said he's spoken to Iginla and he's training super hard this summer because he feels he has 1 more year left in him. Iggy knew he wasn't going to be a priority guy this summer so he's being patient while trying to still be ready for the season in hopes he will be signed somewhere. Iginla even said to this individual something along the lines of "so you guys need RWers right?", and said he has shown interest in coming back to Calgary. Now the question is whether Flames management think there's a fit. But they will speak to Iginla's agent and consider it an option.

So in conclusion, contrary to some people's opinions, Iginla is willing to come back to Calgary to play if the Flames will have him and the fit makes sense.
So, this is legitimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #484
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
I agree 100%, but I don't think the Flames are that high on Fleury. There is a reason his number still isn't retired, or put up in the rafters for the "Forever A Flame" BS. In fact, the NHL doesn't seem too high on him either as he still hasn't been inducted to the HHOF. We all know the reasons why, but I still think his number should be in the rafters and he should also be in the HHOF.
If Fleury could bring himself one day to unload that enormous chip on his shoulder I expect the HHOF and the Flames would be more inclined to extend him the recognition he has earned.

Quote:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #485
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Who cares, the point is still valid that Fleury had earned his spot by his play in pre-season and was a great marketing opportunity that the Flames organization absolutely blew.
No he didn't. He was too slow to keep up with the play consistently, particularly given the slower pace of pre-season.
If he was good enough to make the team...he would have made the team.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #486
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
If Fleury could bring himself one day to unload that enormous chip on his shoulder I expect the HHOF and the Flames would be more inclined to extend him the recognition he has earned.
Yes that would certainly help but it's time for the Flames organization to accept Fleury as is and recognize his contribution to the franchise.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #487
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yes that would certainly help but it's time for the Flames organization to accept Fleury as is and recognize his contribution to the franchise.
It is really hard to concede to someone who takes every opportunity to remind you of how great they are. Maybe you are right—it just grates on me so much to hear Fleury talk endlessly about himself.

Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:30 PM   #488
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It is really hard to concede to someone who takes every opportunity to remind you of how great they are. Maybe you are right—it just grates on me so much to hear Fleury talk endlessly about himself.
I feel exactly the same way and i don't even remotely want to get into his history.

But it's time for the organization to just accept him and let the fans celebrate him. The organization just needs to be the bigger person at this point. Unconditional love, yada yada...

Maybe Fleury's speech would surprise us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #489
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I don't resent the man at all. Iginla is one of my favorite players. I loved the game he played back in the day. He was the Calgary version of Mark Messier - tough, skilled, mean, and a guy with a burning fire. Would love to have a team full of Iginlas, circa 2000-2007. Want nothing to do with the player in the years from 2008-present.

What I do resent is the refusal to acknowledge that the player has changed his game, that the player has aged, and that the player is not the same, nor has been the same one people remember, for the better part of a decade. The whole Iginla thing is really no different that the whole Fleury thing when people suggested he be given opportunity to come back. Even though it was extremely obvious that the player could no longer perform there was still a ground swell of support to let him play, even though it would have hurt the hockey team. That is what I resent. Not the player, but the denial of the fans that players fade and are no longer capable of playing.

The last thing I want to see is for Iginla to sign here, not live up to expectations, and then become a whipping boy. For example, imagine how badly it would turn out for Iginla if he came in and posted numbers worse than Troy Brouwer did this past season? And just a reminder, Brouwer was 13G, 25P, and -11 last season. Iginla was 14G, 27P, and -30 last season. The potential for that outcome is pretty good.
Just so you know if you discount Iginla's last season stats (call it age, lack of competitiveness on a ####ty team, etc), he had 237 Goals and 511 Points in 614 games (2008-2016) and was a -7 during that period.

I mean I would "accept" your argument as a rational one if you're saying he can't perform because of last season (although there are counter arguments) but using the last 9 seasons and claiming he can't perform is ridiculous.

To further show why you are making no sense, in the past 10 seasons, Jarome is 6th in goals and 14th in points.

I think everyone agrees he isn't the same player but to claim he can't play and you want nothing to do with a player with those numbers is kinda stupid.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:42 PM   #490
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
No he didn't. He was too slow to keep up with the play consistently, particularly given the slower pace of pre-season.
If he was good enough to make the team...he would have made the team.
BS. Either you did not watch his pre-season and are just arguing because you don't like the player or you have no clue what you are talking about. Not only was he producing but he was one of the better skaters we had in pre-season. Try finding a valid argument instead of making crap up to make a point. If you wanted to argue his legs would not last for a full season that is different. His skating was much better on his tryout than either Iginla or Jagr is now.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:49 PM   #491
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
BS. Either you did not watch his pre-season and are just arguing because you don't like the player or you have no clue what you are talking about. Not only was he producing but he was one of the better skaters we had in pre-season. Try finding a valid argument instead of making crap up to make a point. If you wanted to argue his legs would not last for a full season that is different. His skating was much better on his tryout than either Iginla or Jagr is now.
Fleury's skating that pre-season WAS awful, and he was gassed when he got back to the bench every shift. Perhaps it is YOU who doesn't know what you are talking about.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #492
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Fleury's skating that pre-season WAS awful, and he was gassed when he got back to the bench every shift. Perhaps it is YOU who doesn't know what you are talking about.
Yeah, this is exactly how I remember Fleury's last Flames training camp. He scored a S/O goal in a preseason game, which was a terrific way for the fans to celebrate his legacy at the time, but it was abundantly clear that he didn't have the legs any longer to skate in the NHL.

Quote:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #493
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

You mean a historic goal
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #494
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
You mean a historic goal
Theorun?

Quote:
Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #495
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/EarlCFJCsports/s...56609949138944

Sounds like Iginla and Doan are doing a local kamloops sports show tonight discussing their futures. Will be interesting to hear if either has concrete interest.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #496
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Just so you know if you discount Iginla's last season stats (call it age, lack of competitiveness on a ####ty team, etc), he had 237 Goals and 511 Points in 614 games (2008-2016) and was a -7 during that period.

I mean I would "accept" your argument as a rational one if you're saying he can't perform because of last season (although there are counter arguments) but using the last 9 seasons and claiming he can't perform is ridiculous.

To further show why you are making no sense, in the past 10 seasons, Jarome is 6th in goals and 14th in points.

I think everyone agrees he isn't the same player but to claim he can't play and you want nothing to do with a player with those numbers is kinda stupid.
I was at the LA game last year. The man was creating havoc in front of the net, setting up Jeff Carter off the rush, and fighting one of the toughest guys in the league.

We traded Iginla because it no longer made sense to continue building around a soon to be 35 year old winger. The window had slammed shut.

This team's window is opening. Unlike the Oilers and Leafs, we don't have to pay our young stars $20M+. The defense is light years deeper than the best groups Sutter ever managed to assemble, and signed together for another three years.

We should do it for the locker room boost alone - nobody seriously thinks a 40 year old Jarome would come back and cause friction, do they? That it'd be a distraction? 'Winning one for Jarome' etc. Any player that finds that sort of story line distracting doesn't belong in the league.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #497
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda funny incident happened to me a few hours ago. I was getting into one of Saddledome's service entrances coming from the parkade side. As I was approaching the door, I pretty much bumped into Brad Treliving, as he was coming out. I have never met him before and was a bit surprised how skinny and tall he is in person. He saw me stumbling a bit, as I recognized him, smiled, said hello and proceeded to the vehicle waiting for him at the back. I cannot explain why I did it, but I just blurted out "please sign Iginla, Brad" as he was getting into his SUV. He just smirked and waived... He also might have nodded, but that could be me making things up and believing what I want to believe.

Anyway, guys, if Treliving signs Iginla, I am taking full credit for being the last bit of convincing he needed to do it.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #498
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

All the "rumors" in this thread might be total fluff, but I've allowed myself to be excited and it's been fun these past few days.

Let's go Brad, bring Jarome Home.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #499
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

well, I for one would welcome Iggy back with open arms...

IF the contract is just a 1 year 1 million kind of deal... at that number no one should be expecting Iggy 2017 to be playing anywhere near beast mode Iggy 2004.

I wouldn't make it a priority, but I think he can bring something to the table and would be the kind of guy that could tap into the fountain of youth if we able to make it back to the playoffs and have Iggy playing in front of the C of Red.

If it happens, i'd be thrilled and if not, so be it
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #500
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Kinda funny incident happened to me a few hours ago. I was getting into one of Saddledome's service entrances coming from the parkade side. As I was approaching the door, I pretty much bumped into Brad Treliving, as he was coming out. I have never met him before and was a bit surprised how skinny and tall he is in person. He saw me stumbling a bit, as I recognized him, smiled, said hello and proceeded to the vehicle waiting for him at the back. I cannot explain why I did it, but I just blurted out "please sign Iginla, Brad" as he was getting into his SUV. He just smirked and waived... He also might have nodded, but that could be me making things up and believing what I want to believe.

Anyway, guys, if Treliving signs Iginla, I am taking full credit for being the last bit of convincing he needed to do it.
Just to be clear, are you also taking full credit if Iggy signs here and the homecoming ends up being a bust?

When it comes to Iggy, my heart say yes, but my head says no.

But I'd sure love to be wrong!

Last edited by Macindoc; 07-12-2017 at 07:53 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread