Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default What is water front property pricing like in Calgary?

My gf and I were walking through Carburn park and were trying to figure what the premium is on water front properties in Calgary. My thinking was that these homes would have an extraordinary premium and probably went up for sale so infrequently that it wasn't worth worrying about, she thinks a home built in the 1950-1970 (such as the ones bordering the pond in Carburn) may be able to be found at a reasonable price.

Is there a typical % on waterfront properties in Calgary, or does it vary a lot?
Old 05-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would guess anything near the river would be relatively cheap based on the flooding that occurred a couple years ago, especially if the area was hit hard. Certainly cheaper than prices before the flood. But that's just a guess, personally I'd be interested in a lake front but not the river as I think it will eventually flood again
Old 05-29-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
My gf and I were walking through Carburn park and were trying to figure what the premium is on water front properties in Calgary. My thinking was that these homes would have an extraordinary premium and probably went up for sale so infrequently that it wasn't worth worrying about, she thinks a home built in the 1950-1970 (such as the ones bordering the pond in Carburn) may be able to be found at a reasonable price.

Is there a typical % on waterfront properties in Calgary, or does it vary a lot?
50's to 70's? Weren't the homes in Riverbend built in the 80's and 90's?
Old 05-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I dunno, probably, they were a little tough to see through the trees.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post

I bought a house in Riverbend last Fall so I can give you a pretty good idea.

The 2-story pink house on the corner of Riverview Court and Riverview Drive (backing onto Carburn) was listed at $600k. It was listed for a while then finally sold so I'm guessing it sold for a bit under that.

A 2-story walkout on my street backing onto the river sold a few months ago for full asking price of $675k.

Most of the newer houses in Riverbend on the West side of 18th street closer to the river and Carburn Park will be late 80's and early 90's houses. Our house is a '94 and probably one of the newest in the community as we're on the South side close to Quarry Park.

The good thing about the community is you can get pretty close to the Bow River and Carburn without actually backing onto it.

Last edited by dubc80; 05-30-2017 at 02:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post

My parents and my house on west side block off park are 1990 my rental on east side on holy angels park I believe is 89