Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2014, 12:46 AM   #1141
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All I have to say is I am glad I went with Winters this year instead of going all Season's like I have the last 4 years. Going home from work at midnight when everything is pure white sucks..haha.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:20 AM   #1142
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, was glad to have the winters today. Not a single issue at all, and passed quite a few folks spun out, or spinning out on hills.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #1143
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. At least with winter tires and AWD you can mostly go at the posted speed limit with confidence.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #1144
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

It's really annoying sharing the road with people whose cars and driving skills are not equipped for this weather. If you're so scared, that you're going 20kph, just get the hell off the road. This is Canada. Winter is not a surprise. Sell your car and buy a goose down jacket and a bus pass.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #1145
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm surprised that 73% in Atlantic Canada have winter tires and only 45% in Alberta have them. I thought it would be the other way around. I think they should be mandatory in Alberta (like in Quebec)
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:40 PM   #1146
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Atlantic Canada gets a billion times more snow than Calgary. Half of winter in Calgary the roads are clean.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:51 PM   #1147
ExiledFlamesFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Atlantic Canada gets a billion times more snow than Calgary. Half of winter in Calgary the roads are clean.
Yep. Average annual snowfall:
St John's 335 cm
Moncton 282 cm
Saint John 239 cm
Calgary 128 cm

Calgary is one of the least snowiest winter cities in Canada (coastal BC cities don't count as winter cities)

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...al-average.php
ExiledFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #1148
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

It's my first season with Winter Tires.

I drive a Toyota Highlander that is equipped with AWD. In past years I have had no problems getting around on All Seasons and was skeptical about getting Winters.

I noticed that the All Seasons we have were getting a little short on tread and it was get new All Seasons or give winters a try.

So far I'm really impressed. The AWD has always performed great when starting out but cornering and stopping have improved more than expected with the winters. I got Toyo Observe G3 Ice tires installed and have been happy with them.

I'm really interested to try out some others to see how they measure up in years to come.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #1149
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

True that calgary isn't the snowiest. But the dry climate can sure make for some icy situations
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:59 AM   #1150
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

persoanlly, i am starting to think that tehre should be special lanes for those of us who have AWD and snow tires.....it would save us a lot of time.....
Old 12-01-2014, 10:17 AM   #1151
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
I'm surprised that 73% in Atlantic Canada have winter tires and only 45% in Alberta have them. I thought it would be the other way around. I think they should be mandatory in Alberta (like in Quebec)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledFlamesFan View Post
Yep. Average annual snowfall:
St John's 335 cm
Moncton 282 cm
Saint John 239 cm
Calgary 128 cm

Calgary is one of the least snowiest winter cities in Canada (coastal BC cities don't count as winter cities)

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...al-average.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
True that calgary isn't the snowiest. But the dry climate can sure make for some icy situations

This is a good discussion on why winters are needed. A winter tire in cold conditions on dry roads out performs all seasons in the same situation. Some people think that winter tires are only for ice/snow, but they also show their worth in dry cold conditions. An all season will go rock hard and no longer be pliable, winters will not.

Once the temps drop below zero (althought I have a recollection the tire industry says +7) winters are superior to all seasons.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #1152
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Family member found out the hard way that all-seasons don't cut it. Was on the way to my house to swap with winter tires and hit a parked vehicle. Major bummer, made it a block away.

Winters give you enough of a edge where it can prevent that from happening.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #1153
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is a good discussion on why winters are needed. A winter tire in cold conditions on dry roads out performs all seasons in the same situation. Some people think that winter tires are only for ice/snow, but they also show their worth in dry cold conditions. An all season will go rock hard and no longer be pliable, winters will not.

Once the temps drop below zero (althought I have a recollection the tire industry says +7) winters are superior to all seasons.
That's why I never call them "snow tires". It gives the impression that they're only necessary when driving through heavy snow. Ice, black ice, and even cold, bare pavement is where they're really needed. And even if we don't get a tonne of snow here compared to much of Canada, we do get a lot of cold, dry days as well as a lot of ice from thawing and freezing. But this is largely preaching to the choir in this thread.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #1154
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
That's why I never call them "snow tires". It gives the impression that they're only necessary when driving through heavy snow. Ice, black ice, and even cold, bare pavement is where they're really needed. And even if we don't get a tonne of snow here compared to much of Canada, we do get a lot of cold, dry days as well as a lot of ice from thawing and freezing. But this is largely preaching to the choir in this thread.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle21348722/

“The industry has actually shied away from calling winter tires snow tires,” Goard says. “Really, we are trying to refer to them as cold-weather tires because they perform best in the winter months in all cold-weather road conditions.”

The rubber in all-season tires starts to harden – think hockey puck – when the temperature drops below 7C.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 11:24 AM   #1155
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle21348722/

“The industry has actually shied away from calling winter tires snow tires,” Goard says. “Really, we are trying to refer to them as cold-weather tires because they perform best in the winter months in all cold-weather road conditions.”

The rubber in all-season tires starts to harden – think hockey puck – when the temperature drops below 7C.
Holy hell, my brain worked, it was 7C

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #1156
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone had an experience with Cooper Discoverer AT3's? My understanding is they are an all-terrain tire, but do well in the winter time as well. Thinking about getting 4 of these for my Jeep.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #1157
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone had an experience with Cooper Discoverer AT3's? My understanding is they are an all-terrain tire, but do well in the winter time as well. Thinking about getting 4 of these for my Jeep.
Not with the AT3s, but I bought the Cooper Weathermaster WSCs this year and they are just demolishing the road. I haven't studded them either, but they still grip ice like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #1158
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Not with the AT3s, but I bought the Cooper Weathermaster WSCs this year and they are just demolishing the road. I haven't studded them either, but they still grip ice like crazy.
Thanks. Really looking to get the all terrain ones for off-road as well as winter if they can cope with both. I've read they can, but just looking for some folks with experience with them.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #1159
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Question about tires:

I have a P255 55 R18 tire on my touareg, and found a set of P255 35 R18 winter tires.

Will these fit? What's the difference between them? Anyone know definitively either way?
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #1160
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Question about tires:

I have a P255 55 R18 tire on my touareg, and found a set of P255 35 R18 winter tires.

Will these fit? What's the difference between them? Anyone know definitively either way?
They're too different:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...5R18/255-35R18
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post: