Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #1221
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

@ Rathji

I said it earlier in the post. This game is not good, Walk away and don't look back!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 AM   #1222
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaniel View Post
@ Rathji

I said it earlier in the post. This game is not good, Walk away and don't look back!
When is 1.3 out for Minecraft?

Might be all it takes for me to dump it.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #1223
Ethaniel
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
When is 1.3 out for Minecraft?

Might be all it takes for me to dump it.
Not positive on when it will be released, but I am hoping within the week! The Snapshots are really quite stable though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Kryllyk
http://www.twitch.tv/kryllyk

Playing games on YouTube & Livestreaming on Twitch.tv Check it out!
Minecraft and more!
Ethaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #1224
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

First Hardcore Inferno Diablo kill.

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #1225
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
My WD seems so sluggish and borring right now. The IAS nerf really slowed my shots down more than I expected. Also right before this patch I leveled a DH to level 50 and that made my WD seem even more sluggish I think. Not sure if I'm going to just finish leveling my DH and wait for patch 1.04 to balance the WD out a bit or just mess with specs.

Either way works since any gear drops upgrade the other toon, not a fan of the patch but its not going to stop me from playing.
I'm leveling a DH, I already know that my interest in the WD is dead until they make some changes. I hear the WD tank build is apperantly awesome, but not sure if I feel like farming endlessly to change my gear yet again.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #1226
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I'm leveling a DH, I already know that my interest in the WD is dead until they make some changes. I hear the WD tank build is apperantly awesome, but not sure if I feel like farming endlessly to change my gear yet again.
Make sure to get some cheap upgrades and throw a 19% xp gem in your helm. I'm level 50 on my DH with 15 hours played just tearing through. level 50 and just started act 4 nightmare.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #1227
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

yeah did that and wow things are flying by, mind you 8hrs for normal, I could do much better.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #1228
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loving the new patch. Barbs are probably OP now, but we were due considering how much harder it was for us the first couple months. Prior to the patch my barb was already pretty tanky in Act 3 Inferno, now I can just run past zillions of monsters finding the elite packs and barring frozen and nightmarish I can, very slowly, kill them.

Wasn't too thrilled to see my Axe drop from ~1100 damage to 920 because of the nerf but found an incredible 575 life on hit 980 damage sword with 130+ strength and 50+ vit from a treasure goblin that we just barely managed to kill. Based on the auction house I could easily get 30M for it with a possibility of maybe 50 and upwards, but for now I'll just toy around with it.

My axe took a pretty harsh hit in it's value, but Blackthorne's Medal went from an 11M minimum buyout just prior to the new patch to 5M now and still probably dropping.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 06-20-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #1229
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reached Inferno, then stopped. There is just no way to keep going without spending hours buying/selling stuff on the auction house. And now I am broke (relatively speaking) because I have stupidly been spending my time and money doing things like blacksmithing and dungeon farming. You know, adventure game stuff.

Sorry, but when I bought this game I though it said Diablo 3, not The New York Stock Exchange Simulator. Use of the auction house should not be required to obtain gear necessary to complete the game.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 06-20-2012 at 06:05 PM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #1230
Shawnski
CP's Resident DJ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Loving the new patch.
I think you may be the only one I have encountered who thinks so.

This patch was garbage. And if it indicative of what they will do in the future, I think it will be the end of me buying Blizzard products.
Shawnski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #1231
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post

This patch was garbage. And if it indicative of what they will do in the future, I think it will be the end of me buying Blizzard products.
While I realize I'm in the minority, which probably has at least a little bit to do with melee characters also being in the minority, the most vocal group is always going to be the ones who hate it the most.

I disagree with some of the changes, repair cost seems excessive and pony runs look to be almost pointless now, but for the most part it seems to me that the patch aimed to balance the classes and has now swung a bit too far in the other direction which will probably be fixed next patch.

Now what I do really hate about Diablo 3 is it felt even though I got the game weeks after launch I was still in the beta, to not have PvP in the game yet is a disgrace really.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #1232
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnski View Post

Couldn't agree more. The whole design philosophy of D3 has doomed the casual player. I just want some reasonably accessible brain candy. I'm not interested in spending huge amounts of time and effort figuring out gear computations, trading, and taking on D3 as a freaking lifestyle. These guys have missed it by so much its actually hard to believe.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Free Ben Hur! For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #1233
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ben Hur! View Post
Couldn't agree more. The whole design philosophy of D3 has doomed the casual player. I just want some reasonably accessible brain candy. I'm not interested in spending huge amounts of time and effort figuring out gear computations, trading, and taking on D3 as a freaking lifestyle. These guys have missed it by so much its actually hard to believe.
So what's stopping you from doing that in Hell? And that's a legitimate question not some smartass reply that I'm afraid it may come off as. Also I can guarantee you that there was no Act 3 Inferno or beyond "casual" Barbs pre-patch, now while I doubt there's going to be many there's at least a chance so for melee's at least this patch was, arguably, actually for the casual players. The game is teetering on a very fine line, you got your melee and range mixed with your casual and non-casual players.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #1234
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Reached Inferno, then stopped. There is just no way to keep going without spending hours buying/selling stuff on the auction house. And now I am broke (relatively speaking) because I have stupidly been spending my time and money doing things like blacksmithing and dungeon farming. You know, adventure game stuff.

Sorry, but when I bought this game I though it said Diablo 3, not The New York Stock Exchange Simulator. Use of the auction house should not be required to obtain gear necessary to complete the game.
I just want to expand on these thoughts a bit because as a former game designer I have a major hair across my ass for this sort of thing.

I still maintain that it should not be required to use the auction house in order to beat Inferno. I did not buy this game to play Donald Trump. But this is merely a symptom of a much bigger issue. My beef comes with the fact that Diablo 3 is not a difficult game. Not in a true sense. It only gives the illusion of difficulty because monsters are so absurdly powerful in Inferno mode that it's basically just an artificial, roundabout way of instituting a gear check. Blizzard even reinforces this by using the stupid enrage timers on elite packs, so you cannot use things like terrain and carefully-planned kiting routes laden with traps to beat the monsters with your own dexterity and cunning. You either have the requisite dps to smack these things in 5 minutes or less, or you don't. If you don't, you die. Do not pass go.

There is very little strategy or skill required to overcome the obstacles in this game. Diablo 2 was much more intricate in the way it handled enemy power scaling in later difficulties. Certain monsters had certain immunities and/or resistances, and it was your job as a player to overcome these things by thinking outside the box. Some of the best memories I have in D2 were fighting this one High Council member in Act 3 as a frost orb sorceress. This mob was the only one in the game with immunity to both fire and ice attacks, so I had to make sure I had a lightning spell or two in my arsenal, and a mercenary who could hold him in place for me while providing dps of his own. Fighting the Ancients was a daunting task as a solo player because you had to be very aware of everything going on around you and react accordingly, otherwise you would end up dead very quickly. These are examples of true difficulty because they could be overcome if you were clever, skilled, and a little bit lucky. Gear was a factor as well, of course, but not to the extent that it is in D3.

Diablo 3 threw that all out the window and made it a dps race. If you don't have the gear to whale on the bad guys fast enough (and, by extension, the millions of gold required to purchase it), you simply do not progress, no matter how skilled or insightful you might be as a player. The in-game economy might as well not even exist, because it's a far better solution to take your money and buy what you know is good on the auction house than spend the same amount of money rolling the dice at the blacksmith just to end up with items with nonsensical combinations of stats (such as gloves with +int and +str).

The whole experience feels rushed, sloppy, and lazy, and heavily padded with cheap ways to extend the game's length and increase difficulty without really needing to put any thought or effort into anything. Some elite mobs even have randomly-assigned attributes that make them impossible to defeat, for all intents and purposes. You literally cannot kill them and must either skip past them or start a new game and hope for a better set of attributes.

Overall it just feels like nobody really cared about paying attention to details and providing a satisfying gaming experience; they just wanted to get this thing out and make a whole bunch of money off the fanboys. It's just a really poorly-executed game that tries to trick you into thinking you're accomplishing more than you really are. I think people are finally starting to figure this out, and that's why so many have already quit. Hopefully Blizzard gets its act together soon and fixes these issues before D3 goes down as one of the more infamous cases of collective blue balls in gaming history.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 06-20-2012 at 06:53 PM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #1235
Free Ben Hur!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So what's stopping you from doing that in Hell? And that's a legitimate question not some smartass reply that I'm afraid it may come off as. Also I can guarantee you that there was no Act 3 Inferno or beyond "casual" Barbs pre-patch, now while I doubt there's going to be many there's at least a chance so for melee's at least this patch was, arguably, actually for the casual players. The game is teetering on a very fine line, you got your melee and range mixed with your casual and non-casual players.
Do what? I'm not sure what you're referring to. I've completed hell with a wizard and only did it with a bunch of people I play with feeding me lots of awesome gear. While I, too, could have acquired lots of great gear on my own, it goes to my whole point of how much time and effort a casual player should need to put in. After paying $60 my expectation should be that hell is the end of the game? If so, I'm out. This strikes me as being so reminiscent of things like MS-WORD where, in their zeal to 'improve' the product, they leave the majority of their mainstream users behind while they cater to the hardcore.
Free Ben Hur! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #1236
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

excellent post mrdonkey, sums up my feelings quite well. i doubt i'll be buying another Blizzard product after this, anyone who worked there who had some actual talent for game design has long since left

Titan Quest came out 6 years ago, and it's a far better evolution of Diablo 2 than D3 IMO. it's class and skill system is far superior to D3 with so many different (and viable) combinations that you could pick, the story was better, and the loot table actually had some intelligence behind it (not just a completely random set of stats on every item). and you actually had a chance of getting a legendary or set item drop now and again, an almost impossible feat in D3. such a shame that we'll never see a sequel to it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #1237
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Ben Hur! View Post
Do what? I'm not sure what you're referring to. I've completed hell with a wizard and only did it with a bunch of people I play with feeding me lots of awesome gear. While I, too, could have acquired lots of great gear on my own, it goes to my whole point of how much time and effort a casual player should need to put in. After paying $60 my expectation should be that hell is the end of the game? If so, I'm out. This strikes me as being so reminiscent of things like MS-WORD where, in their zeal to 'improve' the product, they leave the majority of their mainstream users behind while they cater to the hardcore.
I'm the exact opposite side of the spectrum, if Blizzard made a game where I could 'beat' it in a week especially with no dueling that would be the last Blizzard game I bought. I'm probably fortunate that I didn't pick DH or Wizard as I would have been extremely underwhelmed with how easy it was.

Obviously we just have a different philosophy but there's no way Blizzard could make us both happy if the end game was to beat Inferno "easily" in your case and "hard" in mine. But at least this way they can cater to my style and still make inferno challenging and to the casuals who just want to run around blowing #### up with meteors and slashing them in half in one hit (which I completely understand can be fun) why can't they just play in Hell? Blizzard will never be able to make their cake and eat it too with all the different opinions but by making it too easy all they are doing is removing the replay value.

Also on that note, this patch actually made things too easy for Barbs, maybe monks too not sure how they are doing.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #1238
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
I'm the exact opposite side of the spectrum, if Blizzard made a game where I could 'beat' it in a week especially with no dueling that would be the last Blizzard game I bought. I'm probably fortunate that I didn't pick DH or Wizard as I would have been extremely underwhelmed with how easy it was.

Obviously we just have a different philosophy but there's no way Blizzard could make us both happy if the end game was to beat Inferno "easily" in your case and "hard" in mine. But at least this way they can cater to my style and still make inferno challenging and to the casuals who just want to run around blowing #### up with meteors and slashing them in half in one hit (which I completely understand can be fun) why can't they just play in Hell? Blizzard will never be able to make their cake and eat it too with all the different opinions but by making it too easy all they are doing is removing the replay value.

Also on that note, this patch actually made things too easy for Barbs, maybe monks too not sure how they are doing.
nope. any gains made in survivability were cancelled out by the decrease in DPS and high repair costs. the monk is all about attack speed for spirit regen, so this patch wasn't exactly in our favor
Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #1239
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
nope. any gains made in survivability were cancelled out by the decrease in DPS and high repair costs. the monk is all about attack speed for spirit regen, so this patch wasn't exactly in our favor
Not all that different from Barb and fury then although really it's all about Barb's Revenge skill. If they nerf that, maybe by getting rid of provocation, we'd probably be all on the same footing then cause right now I can just run around and about every 3rd hit my revenge activates and I can usually heal up. Outside of nightmarish, frozen and the occasional getting way over my head by running through a metric #### ton of monsters the reason I die is I get 'unlucky' and my revenge doesn't activate....which is actually why frozen and nightmarish kill me because it obviously can't during those times.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #1240
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Not all that different from Barb and fury then although really it's all about Barb's Revenge skill. If they nerf that, maybe by getting rid of provocation, we'd probably be all on the same footing then cause right now I can just run around and about every 3rd hit my revenge activates and I can usually heal up. Outside of nightmarish, frozen and the occasional getting way over my head by running through a metric #### ton of monsters the reason I die is I get 'unlucky' and my revenge doesn't activate....which is actually why frozen and nightmarish kill me because it obviously can't during those times.
big difference is that revenge is % based, while all the monks healing spells are a flat number, so they don't scale with increased vitality. with 40k health my biggest healing spell will fill between 1/8 and 1/5 of my health pool, and it's on a 15 second cooldown. the only way i've seen monks become viable in inferno is by stacking life on hit gear, which is ridiculously expensive. and thanks to the repair costs i can't even farm gold at a decent rate, i'm lucky to break even