Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2024, 10:23 AM   #2081
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Unless he takes a one year deal to bet on himself I bet he still gets a 7 year contract close to 7 million.
All it takes is one GM to think he makes a difference over the next two or three seasons. I don’t think this will be the off-season GMs suddenly figure out free agency typically blows.
I dont know man, he'd have to have a pretty amazing season.

After next season he'd be...31? Not everyone is going to hand someone that old for 7 years.

Unless he gets 7 years from someone this off-season I think his dream of term died on the Saddledome's board-room table.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:44 AM   #2082
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
That GM won't outlast that contract, thats for damned sure.

I dont see him getting long-term based on his age and, rather poor, recent performance.

He might get a 'Backlund' type deal, which wouldnt be bad for either side really.
Lindholm will likely get somewhere between $30-40M this summer.

Still a lot of bread to cry into, but it’s not $72M, and it’s refreshing to be on the other side of such a self-own.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:11 PM   #2083
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund's last deal was 6x5.35M. He was 29.5yo when the puck dropped on that contract. 7.13% of the cap at the time. 1 yr removed from his career high at the time 22G/53P

Even with the cap going flat nobody really thought Backlund's deal was too rich.

7.13% of 87.5 is roughly 6.25M. 7M = 8%.

Lindholm will be 29.75 yo at the start of his next contract, so it's very similar situation.

Lindholm's dog#### season is largely in line with Backlund's average seasons. Lindholm's previous 5 seasons are all better than Backlund's career best season.

If Backlund had Lindholm's offensive potential, would anyone have blinked an eye at giving him an extra million and an extra year on his deal? Because that's what a 7x7 is today.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:32 PM   #2084
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

7x7 is Nazem Kadri.

And Lindholm is not even close to Kadri's level this season.

He's been exposed as a player who was carried by his linemates.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 12:48 PM   #2085
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s not a difference maker like a Kadri.

Lindholm is a complimentary player. I wouldn’t even compare him to Backlund. Backlund carries his line, we put players on his line to get more out of them. I mean Tkachuk was very complimentary of Backlund when he left.

Lindholm can’t carry a line. He’s a difficult player to figure out. Might be suited on the wing, because I don’t think he can make a 3rd line work unless you give him great wingers.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:59 PM   #2086
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its all between his ears and perhaps a little him getting used to a new team. Put him him in a good situation and he will produce eventually. Comparing Backlund and Lindholm isn't even close IMO. Lindholm is a reliable 1/2 center that you can depend on to put up 60 points or more in a good year. Backlund is more of a 2/3 center topping out at 40-50 points and has produced 3 20+ goal seasons.
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stormchaser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 02:20 PM   #2087
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot of it is mental too.

Let's not pretend a guy that's posted 40+ goals and 80+ points while steamrolling match ups (outside of playoffs) has been a third line C in disguise all along. You can't houdini what we all saw here.

Could be regressing a little early, or just lost his mojo a bit. But the level of play he's capable is a top 20 center when hes on. He also has an excellent shot and release but for reasons unknown there have been seasons where he wouldn't exploit that tool as much as he could. I could never figure that out.

A team like Boston can probably pull that old player out of him. I think he needs a very specific situation that prides itself on both sides of the game to resuscitate his former play.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 02:51 PM   #2088
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I think a lot of it is mental too.

Let's not pretend a guy that's posted 40+ goals and 80+ points while steamrolling match ups (outside of playoffs) has been a third line C in disguise all along. You can't houdini what we all saw here.

Could be regressing a little early, or just lost his mojo a bit. But the level of play he's capable is a top 20 center when hes on. He also has an excellent shot and release but for reasons unknown there have been seasons where he wouldn't exploit that tool as much as he could. I could never figure that out.

A team like Boston can probably pull that old player out of him. I think he needs a very specific situation that prides itself on both sides of the game to resuscitate his former play.
I think Gaudreau turned Lindholm into that player. He should sign in Columbus.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to InternationalVillager For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 03:13 PM   #2089
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
And, frankly, Columbus doesnt have a whole lot to lose to give it a whirl.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-29-2024, 03:19 PM   #2090
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he'll land a show me deal.
There's just no reason to want him for 7 years now, regardless of price.
Even if he has a good next season, I can't see a long term deal ever on the table for him again. There's just no point for any team to do it.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 03:25 PM   #2091
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I think he'll land a show me deal.
There's just no reason to want him for 7 years now, regardless of price.
Even if he has a good next season, I can't see a long term deal ever on the table for him again. There's just no point for any team to do it.
No, I totally agree. His chances at a long-term deal died the moment he and Treliving left Calgary.

If he gets a 'show me deal,' by the time he finishes it he's going to be on the wrong side of 30 and that presumes that his 'show me deal' goes astonishingly well.

And it sucks. I really liked Lindholm. But Treliving was an idiot and Conroy did what he had to.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:59 PM   #2092
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

80+ points was one time. He got close one other season. Aside from that it’s not been a PPG production career from Lindholm.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:07 PM   #2093
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be foolish to go for a show me deal after the season he just had. He needs to take the one with the best term, as close to his dollar range as possible. There are plenty of teams I think would be willing to pony up the 7 years to grab a much needed top 6 center regardless of fit:

Columbus - Stopgap for Fantilli
Arizona - Stopgap for Cooley
Buffalo - Bump one of Cozens/Thompson to RW
Winnipeg - behind Scheifele
Chicago - Bedard insulator (2C behind him)
Washington - Backstrom out, Washington offers a good cap chunk to grab him. Reluctance to rebuild
Anaheim - Stopcap/Veteran presence for the youngsters, moves Zegras/mctavish to LW
Nashville - 1/2 punch with ROR
Carolina - 2C behind Aho if Orlov is moved

And plenty more. I think many teams realize he isn’t worth the 8m+ Lindholm was seeking but I think it’s not out of question for him to get 7-7.9 with the cap going up and many teams starved for a center in a very weak UFA pool this year.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:12 PM   #2094
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stopgaps don't get 7 x $7.9m
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:23 PM   #2095
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
80+ points was one time. He got close one other season. Aside from that it’s not been a PPG production career from Lindholm.
Quite honestly 64 points last season was a feat given the team, vets phoning it in and the style of play (low percentage perimeter play)

Gaudreau did play a large factor but lindholm has shown some ability with different players.

He was junk this season though.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:31 PM   #2096
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
You could maybe argue that Tkachuk was responsible for the success of that line, but not Gaudreau. Tkachuk is the only guy who has come close to the same production.

I think he’s the only guy who has been above a P/PG since.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 06:47 PM   #2097
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You could maybe argue that Tkachuk was responsible for the success of that line, but not Gaudreau. Tkachuk is the only guy who has come close to the same production.

I think he’s the only guy who has been above a P/PG since.
Yeah, you wouldnt think it'd be him, but he's still lighting him up.

Gaudreau has pulled a:

And Lindholm has been either invisible, injured or a negative.

So....maybe Chucky was the straw that stirred that drink.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 06:49 PM   #2098
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Are you kidding? He’s a Proven 1C™. He got his team to the second round one year.

Just like Proven Starter™ Jacob Markstrom!
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 06:52 PM   #2099
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Are you kidding? He’s a Proven 1C™. He got his team to the second round one year.

Just like Proven Starter™ Jacob Markstrom!
Proven starter Jusse Saros has not even done that.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2024, 06:55 PM   #2100
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Proven starter Jusse Saros has not even done that.
I’d give up everything for a proven™ player! Don’t even talk to me unless they are proven™!!!
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote