Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2023, 07:46 PM   #1041
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

But.

Pairs well with Whynot.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2023, 08:03 PM   #1042
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haha. Will Smith.
mdubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 10:02 PM   #1043
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

A player to watch for is Victoria Royals D Justin Kipkie. He's 6'4", and put up 33 points in 67 games on the top-pairing with Kalem Parker. Very impressive, considering that the Royals were 3rd-worst in the WHL Standings this year. 27 of those points were at ES, which I would assume is pretty high-up on the list of WHL draft-eligible D. He's big, physical, and skilled, and he logs huge minutes in all situations for his team- but as one can imagine, he's still pretty raw, and needs work on his skating. Look for him in the mid-to late rounds.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 01:23 AM   #1044
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Draft Thoughts:

-Don't get too hung up on statistics this year when it comes to draft-eligible defensemen coming out of the USHL- after all, the top D in scoring this season is 19 yo Max Burkholder, with 51 points in 62 games, for a ppg of 0.82. In the same vein, don't believe those who belittle D Gavin McCarthy's 27 points in 42 games, as those numbers put him 13th in the league (for all D, not just draft-eligible D) in ppg, with 0.64- just behind Andrew Strathmann's 0.68. McCarthy has a June Birthday, meaning he's a lot younger than some of his contemporaries in this Draft, and his game is still considered somewhat raw, at least in the offensive zone. He's already considered to be a top-notch defensive defenseman, having the skills and attributes necessary to kill the rush, and stop the other team dead in their tracks. His speed, IQ, and defensive awareness combine with the use of an active stick, tight gap control, and a long wingspan to make him a stalwart in his own zone. McCarthy also has the size, at 6'1", to play a physical game and outmuscle opponents. He makes fine outlets, and displays good passing in all areas. He's competitve in the dirty areas, strong in front of his net, and his 88 PIMs would attest to his chippy-ness. The consensus on this player is that he has the skills to put up even more impressive numbers offensively, he just needs the time to develop. Mccarthy is like the US' version of Tanner Molendyk- he seems to take pride in his D right now, forgoing better point totals, which is quite admirable for a young guy. Look for him in the 2nd/3rd round.

-D Matthew Mania is another raw prospect, who comes from Florida, but plays for the middling Sudbury Wolves with 38 points in 67 games. He is another in a sea of six-foot defensemen in this draft. The one consensus on Mania's game is that he's a fantastic skater, with good edges and agility, and effortless acceleration, although some say his backwards skating needs a bit of work. It would seem though, that he's inconsistent in most areas of the ice. So far, his offense is his main forte, but he's also excellent in transition, able to connect with smooth breakouts or carry it out himself, creating entries. His deft stickhandling and puck-control helps him weave through traffic, and he drives play and controls the pace of the game at times. Once in the offensive zone, Mania is good at walking the line while scanning for open lanes, but he sometimes makes bad decisions- such as when to use his hard shot, or when to pinch, which he's not shy about doing. His passing/playmaking game has shown glimpses of being brilliant. Defensively, he's still a work in progress, as his intensity, physicality, and gap control are all inconsistent, but he can also show a calm, composed game where he is good against the rush, and able to close distance to attackers. Overall, he's considered a potential top-4 defenceman in the NHL, but he's a project of sorts, with a good set of tools. 3rd/4th round.

-In 2021-22, 6'0" Winger Tuomas Uronen was one of the top performing U17 players in the U20 League, with 17 points in 24 games, but his ppg of 0.71 put him ahead of all but 4 in the top-10- ahead of players like Jesse Kiiskanen, Tom Leppa, and Rasmus Kumpalainen, and just behind Kasper Halttunen (0.93) and Jesse Nurmi (0.75). He was also one of 2 underage players selected to play for Finland in the U-18's, where he impressed with 3 points in 6 games. He was up in the stratoshere with Halttunen in some rankings before the season began. I didn't notice him as much in this year's U-18's, where he had 2 points in 5 games, but he did show decent totals in the J20 with HIFK, posting 43 points in 39 games, earning 5 games in the men's league. Uronen is the top guy on that J20 team, where he plays in all situations, and both sides of special teams. Skating-wise, he is solid, not elite, but smooth and agile, and his puckhandling is a plus. He has an array of deft 1-on-1 moves to frustrate opponents. His motor is always running, and he keeps his feet moving. He's perhaps equally shooter and playmaker, and he can create off the rush, and through his energetic forechecking. Uronen is smart offensively, and finds the seams- or makes them himself by finding open space. His shot has some mustard, and a quick release, and he could stand to use it more often. Defensively, he uses his anticipation and positioning to disrupt plays, and he can throw some good hits. Scouts say he should be more dominant offensively, and some aspects of his skating need upgrading. 3rd/4th round?

Last edited by Sandman; 05-18-2023 at 03:20 AM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 06:59 AM   #1045
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just what the Flames have been missing: a player named Mania.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:43 AM   #1046
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Just what the Flames have been missing: a player named Mania.
Whatchya gonna do, brother, when Matthew Mania runs wild on you?
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 09:07 AM   #1047
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprising there isn't more love for this Matthew Wood. Bingo has him average 16th pick. College route, but a lethbridge born kid that grew up in Nanaimo.

17th in scoring all-time per game in the BCHL as a 16 year old. Ahead of Newhook. Ahead of Ryan Walter. Ahead of Kyle Turris.

If I'm looking at this right, the last time someone scored as much as Wood di per game as a 16 year old in the BCHL was that Kariya guy in 1991.

Now to his college numbers. He is a point per game in his first season. Seems good. And searching where he stands in scoring for U18's? Well the list is 1 guy. Him. No one as young as him in college.

Great hands. Shot is solid. Decent skater. And he's 6' 3" already? Oh ya...and shoots right.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 09:13 AM   #1048
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think skating is a massive worry with Wood. I don't think he's a decent skater. In fact it's the thing that could hold him back from being an NHLer.
You have to ask if he can overcome that like Jason Robertson, but there are VERY few Jason Robertsons out there. Skating is a great equalizer.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 09:30 AM   #1049
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has got me really excited for the draft, usually don't pay as much attention but the discussion and daily write ups by Sandman and rankings by Bingo has got me looking deeper into the draft than I have in a very long time.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 09:33 AM   #1050
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am embarrassed to say that I never came in this thread before. Some outstanding info and conversation in here. Thanks Sandman for doing the homework for me, great work.
Old 05-18-2023, 09:45 AM   #1051
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think skating is a massive worry with Wood. I don't think he's a decent skater. In fact it's the thing that could hold him back from being an NHLer.
You have to ask if he can overcome that like Jason Robertson, but there are VERY few Jason Robertsons out there. Skating is a great equalizer.
He is a big guy, so that seems like a reasonable concern. But from his coach in BCHL (Didmon):

Quote:
That has included equal work on his skating as on his hands. For a time, Wood’s skating was considered to be a question mark. That’s no longer the case.

“His skating just kept getting better,” said Didmon. “So I don’t worry about his skating because it has just been on a steady incline and progression over the last three years.”
And from UConn Asst Coach:

Quote:
Helton argues Wood’s skating is “completely fine.”....

...Huskies staff got into the habit of inviting scouts out to their practices so that they could see his skating up close....

...“And I mean, I watched him when he played with Connor (Bedard in minor hockey), so we’ve watched him for a long time, and his skating has improved and then from the start of this year to now, it’s gotten a lot better. And it’s only going to continue to get better. If a team chooses not to draft him because of his skating, I think that’s crazy. I don’t think it’s going to be an issue.”

NHL Central Scouting took note of that progress in his skating, too, moving him up four spots from their midseason list,
https://theathletic.com/4457512/2023...-matthew-wood/
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 10:04 AM   #1052
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Up to 13 lists in the average now, added Cosentio this morning ... his ranking moved the Flames group around quite a bit (Reinbacher moves up, Cristall continues to slide)

No change to top 5

Player Position Average
1 Connor Bedard C 1.00
2 Adam Fantilli C 2.00
3 Leo Carlsson C 3.62
4 Matvei Michkov RW 3.62
5 Will Smith C 5.38

Next Tier Shrinks

6 Zach Benson F 8.00
7 Dalibor Dvorský C 9.85
8 Ryan Leonard C 10.38
9 Colby Barlow LW 12.00
10 Oliver Moore C 13.15

Flames Tier Expands (averages of 14-18 range)

11 David Reinbacher D 13.85
12 Eduard Sale RW 13.85
13 Axel Sandin Pellikka D 13.92
14 Brayden Yager C 14.31
15 Nate Danielson C 14.92
16 Matthew Wood F 15.85
17 Gabe Perreault RW 16.62

18 Andrew Cristall LW 18.33

Tighter band within that group in red looking like a Calgary pick.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 10:04 AM   #1053
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure but his coach isn't going to come out and say something that prevents him from being drafted as a high as possible. It's good for his coaches when a guy has success at the NHL level including getting drafted.
It may have improved, but it's still the biggest red flag that he will have to overcome.
I generally think drafting anyone high that is a poor skater is risky.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:08 AM   #1054
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Up to 13 lists in the average now, added Cosentio this morning ... his ranking moved the Flames group around quite a bit (Reinbacher moves up, Cristall continues to slide)

No change to top 5

Player Position Average
1 Connor Bedard C 1.00
2 Adam Fantilli C 2.00
3 Leo Carlsson C 3.62
4 Matvei Michkov RW 3.62
5 Will Smith C 5.38

Next Tier Shrinks

6 Zach Benson F 8.00
7 Dalibor Dvorský C 9.85
8 Ryan Leonard C 10.38
9 Colby Barlow LW 12.00
10 Oliver Moore C 13.15

Flames Tier Expands (averages of 14-18 range)

11 David Reinbacher D 13.85
12 Eduard Sale RW 13.85
13 Axel Sandin Pellikka D 13.92
14 Brayden Yager C 14.31
15 Nate Danielson C 14.92
16 Matthew Wood F 15.85
17 Gabe Perreault RW 16.62

18 Andrew Cristall LW 18.33

Tighter band within that group in red looking like a Calgary pick.
2 good centers sitting in our range! That's awesome
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:12 AM   #1055
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best left shot left wing that's remaining is who the Flames will take at #16 haha
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:12 AM   #1056
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My most desired picks are:
- Matthew Wood
- Oliver Moore
- Colby Barlow
- Nate Danielson
- Axel Sandin Pellikka

I have not decided on my final rankings yet but I will be super happy with any of those 5 players. Will spend the weekend looking into it a bit more. I bet I would also like Sale or Reinbacher but I just have not seen enough of them yet
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:16 AM   #1057
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Personally, I'm tired of poor or iffy skaters on our team. Let's get us a few burners.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:36 AM   #1058
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Sure but his coach isn't going to come out and say something that prevents him from being drafted as a high as possible. It's good for his coaches when a guy has success at the NHL level including getting drafted.
It may have improved, but it's still the biggest red flag that he will have to overcome.
I generally think drafting anyone high that is a poor skater is risky.
Recall when that was the buzz around Tkachuk for months too and that proved to be a big pile of plop.

High end skill, tenacity and IQ make up for a lot of the skating deficiencies. Also, things change when bodies mature as these prospects get older and stronger. Working with NCAA/CHL/NHL skating coaches goes a lot further than say anyone they might be working with as younger players as well.
Old 05-18-2023, 10:39 AM   #1059
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Personally, I'm tired of poor or iffy skaters on our team. Let's get us a few burners.
Absolutely. No more drafting a skill player in the first round where skating is the knock on them. We need to get faster in a hurry.

If we had a fast team, then you could insert a slower player and give them time to work on their skating, but still, they usually just get to a passable level.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2023, 10:45 AM   #1060
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Andrew Cristall seems to be dropping like a rock. What is the concern with him? Seems like he was a sure fire top ten pick a few months ago.

https://thehockeywriters.com/andrew-...spect-profile/
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft