Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-24-2021, 11:55 PM   #3321
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

“That ugly cat?!? Is his name Hunter…?!?”

(Worth watching this whole thing. https://twitter.com/bparkertv/status...313632261?s=21 )
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:28 AM   #3322
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s even better watching the highlight from the Dallas broadcast, as they are talking about how good the Flames are!!!
The guy actually says that Kassian "ended up turning turtle in the corner"
Old 11-25-2021, 01:02 AM   #3323
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

He sure loves to leave his feet when he hits. Not sure why it isn't called all the time.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:03 AM   #3324
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing to worry about there, that guy has no brain cells to lose.

I do enjoy that its 100% on Kassian and he's the one who ends up worse off.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:26 AM   #3325
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good IX:That's A Team That Knows How To Lose

My concern is that this oilers team, their media, and even lots of the national media in Canada (CBC/sportsnet and TSN) are taking this whole whining/diving to get calls to a whole new level. It’s at the point where it is reminiscent of Trump constantly pushing the idea that the only way he could possibly ever lose is if the other side cheated. It’s like the oilers and the media truly believe that the refs not giving them enough powerplays is the only possible reason for them to lose even a single game.

Watch any oilers game now and it will absolutely amaze you how often their players are putting their arms up looking for calls as well as aggressively diving. I’ve never seen anything like it.

It’s so bad that it feels like it’s part of the play style and coaching strategy. I could just see video team meetings where the oilers coaching staff are showing replays of their games and saying “see right here - that guy got really close to you in the neutral zone - we have to make sure we get something out of that. Swing your arms up, snap your neck back, drop your stick like it was slashed, roll over… anything to get that call. And make sure you look directly at the ref immediately to complain if there isn’t a call. If we do that enough times, the refs will start to feel they owe us one. These are the little details we have to be doing as a team to be successful.”

The danger is that it’s working and I’m concerned that this will be the year that the league caves and brings this kind of embarrassment to the playoffs. Everyone loves to talk about how ridiculous it is that McDavid hasn’t drawn a penalty in his last playoffs and the 2020 play-in round. Like it’s some holy right that should be given to him.

I remember how disgusted I was watching Kessler, Burrows, Luongo and the Sedins make it all the way to the cup final with some of the most aggressive diving I have ever seen. The refs finally wised up in the final and didn’t fall for it (thankfully). But that was very close and I think it was a turning point in the NHL… diving has become more and more a part of the game ever since the Canucks had so much success with it… to the point that every team does it now. But the oilers are taking it to a truly embarrassing level.

I really hope the league and the officiating is strong enough to not re-mould playoff hockey just to suit this pathetic system of diving and complaining to get calls that the oilers use. The flames have built their team this year specifically to do well in the playoffs… where it becomes more physical and tighter checking with fewer calls - the playoffs we’ve seen for years and years. The alternative that the oilers are going for is to pressure the league and officiating to change the playoffs to suit them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 11-25-2021 at 01:37 AM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 02:03 AM   #3326
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I really hope the league and the officiating is strong enough to not re-mould playoff hockey just to suit this pathetic system of diving and complaining to get calls that the oilers use. The flames have built their team this year specifically to do well in the playoffs… where it becomes more physical and tighter checking with fewer calls - the playoffs we’ve seen for years and years. The alternative that the oilers are going for is to pressure the league and officiating to change the playoffs to suit them.
Have they really?

The big tough additions are playing depth roles and the Flames are winning due to Hasek level goaltending and huge offensive contributions from small guys (Gaudreau,Mangipiane,Kylington).

Goaltending will help in the playoffs, but how are the three guys mentioned going to thrive when they are held, slashed, and interfered with?

If anything Flames fans should also be pushing for the game to be called squarely. It's their best chance at success.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:10 AM   #3327
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Have they really?

The big tough additions are playing depth roles and the Flames are winning due to Hasek level goaltending and huge offensive contributions from small guys (Gaudreau,Mangipiane,Kylington).

Goaltending will help in the playoffs, but how are the three guys mentioned going to thrive when they are held, slashed, and interfered with?

If anything Flames fans should also be pushing for the game to be called squarely. It's their best chance at success.
Nah, a) we can kill penalties just fine (#3 PK), and b) you better believe bitching & complaining works against you in a playoff series. You don't want the odd time they call something to be a back breaker cause the ref decided he wasn't doing you any favors.

Really, small guys is what you're going with as your cautionary tale? Have you seen how tenacious and gritty Bread is? Kylington can skate as well as McDavid and get himself around trouble that way (just as Connor has), and Gaudreau looks as strong on his skates as he ever has. He was running Bruins over in Boston!

Nice timing with your drive by lol. Just ekeing one out over the league doormats eh. The fall from grace of an easy early schedule is real.

Last edited by djsFlames; 11-25-2021 at 02:13 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:43 AM   #3328
InternationalVillager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Draisaitl has 20 g 20 a 40 p in 19 gms. what the ####.

He’s on pace for 86 g 86 a 172 p ….HOW??!??

Last edited by InternationalVillager; 11-25-2021 at 02:45 AM.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:09 AM   #3329
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have they really?

You obviously haven't watched the Flames play
Old 11-25-2021, 04:43 AM   #3330
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
*deflecting to Flames discussion
Guys! Guys!
Don't let the Oilers fan derail this thread

Getting back to E=NG...
In memory of Mr. Latino Heat (RIP Nov 13, 2005), here's a clip of the late great Eddie Guerrero legit punching out an Edmontonian who jumped the fan rail and interfered with the show

They say wrestling fans who attack wrestlers in a live show are missing a few brain cells
We at CP already knew since he was wearing an Oilers Jersey

Last edited by Pizza; 11-25-2021 at 04:49 AM.
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 05:04 AM   #3331
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
Draisaitl has 20 g 20 a 40 p in 19 gms. what the ####.

He’s on pace for 86 g 86 a 172 p ….HOW??!??

It'll make it funnier when he finishes the season as a minus player. They needed more late help to avoid being dismantled by Arizona.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:56 AM   #3332
Rutuu
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Guys! Guys!
Don't let the Oilers fan derail this thread

Getting back to E=NG...
In memory of Mr. Latino Heat (RIP Nov 13, 2005), here's a clip of the late great Eddie Guerrero legit punching out an Edmontonian who jumped the fan rail and interfered with the show

They say wrestling fans who attack wrestlers in a live show are missing a few brain cells
We at CP already knew since he was wearing an Oilers Jersey

One thing I love about the Oilers fanbase is how they'll wear their hockey jerseys "out".

A few years ago we were at the Aussie open in Melbourne. We stopped at Costco to grab supplies for our apartment we'd rented. In 30C+ heat this stone cold winner walks out the front entrance, wrap around shades, crappy red board shorts, pluggers, stringy mullet, and a ratty oilers jersey with not even an undershirt. Classic. I did respect his shopping cart full of ice cream sandwiches.

Who grabs their hockey jersey as their go to shopping shirt?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #3333
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1463732943323484166
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hockey_Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 08:07 AM   #3334
Tkachukwagon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1463509151611604997

No word yet on if the Rocket’s girlfriend decorated his place.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:24 AM   #3335
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Have they really?

I actually agree with this. The Flames aren't playing a clutch and grab type game. Our D are mostly faster mobile players and our most dynamic offensive players are smaller, and our special teams are good.

We dont want games to turn into slugfests as much as we may think we are a 'tough, hard to play against team"

We are still a relatively small and dynamic team that a slowed down grind them out game doesnt overly benefit
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #3336
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I think it's cute that she dresses him too. Because you know he's not dropping $400+ on a lame white sweatshirt. It matches the house though.

I honestly thought Zamler or somebody had somehow hacked the video to add "Acne Studios" to his shirt.

But turns out that's the real name of a fashion company:

https://www.acnestudios.com/eu/en/home
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #3337
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The goaltending for the most part have not had to give Hasek level goaltending. The Flames defensive game has actually made a lot of the games quite easy.

The Oilers on the other hand need Hasek level goaltending as they give up a ton of this guy scored type of scoring chances.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn’t get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16…
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:49 AM   #3338
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Have they really?

To win in the playoffs you need to be dynamic. You have to beat a skilled team, a physical team, a fast team, and a hybrid of all three.

They have they have all these components, but the playoffs are still 5 months away and anything can happen from injuries to COVID, suspensions etc.

What they are not is a two trick pony humping their power-play to win.

They aren’t McDavid and groupthink clowns blowing smoke up his butt.
They aren’t diving for calls.
They aren’t sending former employees and players on national media spouting conspiracy theories about the refs being biased against calling infractions on them because the have a high power-play percentage.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:04 AM   #3339
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The goaltending for the most part have not had to give Hasek level goaltending. The Flames defensive game has actually made a lot of the games quite easy.

The Oilers on the other hand need Hasek level goaltending as they give up a ton of this guy scored type of scoring chances.
Yeah, the goaltending, while great, isn't the only reason the flames are doing so well.

They could have given up 3 goals in every one of those shutouts and they still would have won 6 of the games (the other one getting at least a point).
That bumps the GAA up more than a full goal. Suddenly the goaltending isn't looking great, and the difference is MAYBE 1 point in the standings.

Don't get me wrong, both goaltenders have been great, obviously, and at some point in the season, they'll likely need them to be Hasek level to win some games, but they are far from the only reason this team is winning.
Old 11-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #3340
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Edmonton is No Good IX:That's A Team That Knows How To Lose

The point of my rant above was that the oilers and their media seem like they are actively trying to change the way the game is called especially in the playoffs to better suit them. I can’t think of any team in the league that has ever made such a push like that. Every team that has ever won a cup has done it having to battle through the playoffs… it’s a different beast than the regular season. Why should McDavid be the first guy to get this special treatment where the playoffs are suddenly changed so that he can get his powerplay time?

I honestly think their goal is to get at least 6/7 powerplays per game in the playoffs. If they’re powerplay is running at >= 50%, that’s the series. They know that if they only draw 2/3 powerplays, they likely lose that series.

As for the comment from the oilers fan that the flames also want the playoffs to change… they’re one of the biggest teams in the league now. They are constantly being described as a team that is very hard to play against. They play a style that gives up very little against and grinds its opponents down. And they don’t rely on their powerplay to win games. Pretty sure this is exactly how teams have found success in the playoffs in the past. Obviously they have a long way to go and they have to bring this game style into the playoffs.

But, ultimately, the flames are not the ones pushing the conspiracy theory that the league needs to change to help their team win in the playoffs. I mean, look how media everywhere seemed to jump down Tortorella’s throat for saying something that was totally true. McDavid is playing great obviously right now…. He always plays great in the regular season getting his powerplay cookies. Torts was saying he needs to adjust his game for the playoffs… but the oilers and so much of the Canadian media would rather the league adjust the playoffs to him instead. Ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 11-25-2021 at 09:30 AM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post: