Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #301
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah OK I suppose I should have spelled it out a bit more for many of you here re the Kariya reference. Of course the two incidents are not the same - did I say that? No - the point was those sort of career ending hits will continue to be a part of the game until head shots are completely prohibited. And so from time to time, a smallish - playmaker will have his career ended early.

When Johnny Gaudreau gets a shoulder into the head because his head is level with most shoulders in the league - maybe then some of you will get the point.

As for drive by comments - some of us work for a living and can't monitor CP minute by minute.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:54 PM   #302
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post

When Johnny Gaudreau gets a shoulder into the head because his head is level with most shoulders in the league - maybe then some of you will get the point.
I said it before and I'll say it again: Gaudreau is one of the best players in the NHL at *not* doing that. He is always hyper aware of who's around him, almost never looks down at the puck and is constantly pivoting away from oncoming players will full awareness of where they are.

If he ever makes a play like that, he'd be at fault just like Aho was... because for what feels like the 100th time: this was a direct result of his not looking where he was going and changing angles at the last second.

Just about everything you've said about this incident has been patently false. When someone refutes one of your points you come back with nothing but hyperbole in a lecturing tone.. just like the awful example of trying to assert it was just like a predatory hit.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:01 PM   #303
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again: Gaudreau is one of the best players in the NHL at *not* doing that. He is always hyper aware of who's around him, almost never looks down at the puck and is constantly pivoting away from oncoming players will full awareness of where they are.

If he ever makes a play like that, he'd be at fault just like Aho was... because for what feels like the 100th time: this was a direct result of his not looking where he was going and changing angles at the last second.

Just about everything you've said about this incident has been patently false. When someone refutes one of your points you come back with nothing but hyperbole in a lecturing tone.. just like the awful example of trying to assert it was just like a predatory hit.
One of those rare times I agree with you, but this says it all.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 PM   #304
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

League is biased in favor of the Flames...

Said no one ever

Seriously the league throws the book at the Flames every chance they get...the fact that they let Gio off the hook here tells you all you need to know

Really there is no debate, some people just can't admit when they were wrong
Old 01-15-2018, 11:58 PM   #305
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Cassie (though not a defender) got it pretty much right on the broadcast last night.
Yeah, not a defender, and I think she was evaluating it in the context of men's hockey. Which was not what I was interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Not trying to stir any ####, but what would be the relevance of that?
Because if Aho still gets hit to the head doing what he did, and I want an expert opinion on that, then one must surely consider it unavoidable.

It would be nice to have a way to make these sorts of injuries less severe/frequent without ripping the soul out of the game, but I can't think of how to do that. For instance, if you were permitted to grab a guy when delivering a big hit to prevent him from hitting the ice / boards, maybe that would prevent injuries, but I don't see how you could allow that.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #306
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they didn't wear skates nobody would get cut, without sticks nobody would get slashed, pucks are too hard they take out teeth and break faces.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:47 AM   #307
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Luckily the 5 minute major and loss of Gio didn't cost the Flames the game yesterday. The reffing in this league is a disgrace. Thankfully the league didn't "hey refs, hold my beer!" this one like I fully expected they would.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 01:25 AM   #308
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Yeah, not a defender, and I think she was evaluating it in the context of men's hockey. Which was not what I was interested in.

Because if Aho still gets hit to the head doing what he did, and I want an expert opinion on that, then one must surely consider it unavoidable.

It would be nice to have a way to make these sorts of injuries less severe/frequent without ripping the soul out of the game, but I can't think of how to do that. For instance, if you were permitted to grab a guy when delivering a big hit to prevent him from hitting the ice / boards, maybe that would prevent injuries, but I don't see how you could allow that.
Again, not trying to be a dick or anything here, but womens hockey is only relevant here in the event some people believed Gio should defend in the same manner as the rules in female hockey, a stick check or a rub out of the body. However, I see nothing wrong with a Dman hitting to hurt and to intimidate in a play like this. I love the way Gio delivered his check. Unfortunate for the head shot, however Gio in now way was intent on giving a head shot. A big crushing hit, sure, was his intent. As it should be.

Bowmeester, Lidstrom or Leetch would use an active stick for a play like this, whereas Hamonic, Gio or Weber would deliver a check. Every defender is different in how they defend. I want and am ok with both types of players. An intimidating hit can be a glorious check to watch and give. If its a legal hit and one that is done to hurt at the same time, that is hockey, imo.

If Johnny had his head down and took a hit to the head, so be it. Its a lesson every person that has played some semblance of hockey knows is a no no, never look down at the puck for the chance of getting creamed.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soulchoice For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #309
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Women's hockey is a non contact sport? A lot of people say Giordano could not have gotten out of the way so how would a women, in a non contact sport have played that situation? Seems pretty straight forward no?

I've played non contact men's hockey and accidentally on purpose getting in someone's way to knock them on their ass is an art form.
Thanks for clarifying, I thought he was referring to it in the context of gender and not contact vs. non-contact sports. The former I don't find relevant, however the latter is.

But no thanks for the condescending way in which you framed your answer. It wasn't straight forward to me, otherwise I wouldn't have asked the question.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #310
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of salt on HF about this. More from Duck fans than Canes fans though.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 AM   #311
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Lots of salt on HF about this. More from Duck fans than Canes fans though.
I’ve been battling it out with a few Ducks fans on Twitter. It’s actually hilarious how upset they are that Gio got nothing. They act like he’s a goon and has a history of targeting other guys knees. This stemming from the incidental contact knee on knee with Cam Fowler last season.
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:30 AM   #312
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post
I’ve been battling it out with a few Ducks fans on Twitter. It’s actually hilarious how upset they are that Gio got nothing. They act like he’s a goon and has a history of targeting other guys knees. This stemming from the incidental contact knee on knee with Cam Fowler last season.
In fairness though, the fans in Anaheim aren't used to seeing hard hitting hockey, and dirty players.

They've been watching perennial Lady Byng candidates Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf for years now. It's easy to see how they'd be upset at a clean but very hard hit.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #313
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieHARDflameZ View Post

Ducks have some of the dirtiest d*****bags in hockey on their roster, and they're complaining about other teams' players being goons? That's hilarious.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #314
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brent Krahn's take on the hit is hilarious. He's on the Big Show right now, and was asked about it

Summing it up: Good for Gio! Aho is disrespectful for even thinking he can pull a move like that off. Hope he's okay, but he better learn his lesson, and I'm happy he got killed.

I completely agree. haha.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #315
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
Brent Krahn's take on the hit is hilarious. He's on the Big Show right now, and was asked about it

Summing it up: Good for Gio! Aho is disrespectful for even thinking he can pull a move like that off. Hope he's okay, but he better learn his lesson, and I'm happy he got killed.

I completely agree. haha.
Okay...I dont agree with all of that.

I dont want to see the kid get hurt, but pulling that move in front of an NHL Veteran was an unwise decision.

I'd be perfectly happy if he'd gotten smoked and gotten right back up, then I'd agree that that was a lesson learned, I dont want him to be hurt though because we should all remember that we owe the Carolina Hurricanes a sincere debt of gratitude.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: