Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2018, 06:00 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default "Inbound missile" warning issued for Hawaii......then "oops"

Terrifying for a brief time obviously.

Quote:
Everyone had their phones. Everyone received the same push alert.

"BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL."

"People were crawling under tables and hiding," she said, "and going into buildings that looked more sturdy."

Quote:
The push alert turned out to be a mistake. Hawaii House Speaker Scott Saiki said someone pushed the wrong button, sending an alert to cellphone users across the islands warning of them of an impending missile strike. Cindy McMillan, a spokeswoman for Gov. David Ige, told The Associated Press that the alert was human error, but she didn't have further details.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/13/us/haw...act/index.html
Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #2
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

On October 13th, 2018 Hawaii should be stocking up on baby supplies.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Conspiracy: North Korea happened upon their password. US government is paying the fall guy, or he's taking responsibility because he made the bad password.

If I'm Kim, I do this in a second just to instill fear in the US, especially when he's on a ploy to improve relations.
CampbellsTransgressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
Conspiracy: North Korea happened upon their password. US government is paying the fall guy, or he's taking responsibility because he made the bad password.

If I'm Kim, I do this in a second just to instill fear in the US, especially when he's on a ploy to improve relations.
This may not be so far from the truth. I have a hard time believing something this serious could result from a careless mistake by a single individual.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this a way to take the heat off President Potty Mouth's comments from yesterday. Divert attention away from that for a bit.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Is this a way to take the heat off President Potty Mouth's comments from yesterday. Divert attention away from that for a bit.
Nope, Trump has tweeted 5 times since the false alarm.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
This may not be so far from the truth. I have a hard time believing something this serious could result from a careless mistake by a single individual.
Yes and no. Systems like this need to be more than a "one button press and panic ensues"...but they also can't be too overly complicated so that if something happens, SOMEONE can get the warning out.

The "Plastic Shield" button comes to mind. Anyone can flip the shield up and press the button, if they have to, and they are the last person there, for instance...but you should have to lift the shield, which being a conscious act, should ensure that the button needs to be pushed.

Computers are complicating the plastic shield idea. You should probably have something behind a password, but unless everyone knows it...you can't have it behind a password sort of thing.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have family in Hawaii right now. They got the alert on their phone even though they were on Telus roaming. They said some were panicking and going into the nearest building. Everyone assumed it was North Korea
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #9
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many people are on boats heading for California.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #10
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Yes and no. Systems like this need to be more than a "one button press and panic ensues"...but they also can't be too overly complicated so that if something happens, SOMEONE can get the warning out.
I would also think that somebody has templates done up for various emergencies, so that minutes are not wasted deciding what to say and how to word it. This could have been as simple as somebody being shown what to do, and the mistake was that they were in the production system instead of the test system.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The pants industry suddenly became really profitable.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post

I doubt that North Korea would do anything like this. Its as close as you can get to an act of war as you can get.

If the North Koreans did this the retaliation strike would already be taking off, especially with a president with a "look for a reason" mentality.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 AM   #13
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I doubt that North Korea would do anything like this. Its as close as you can get to an act of war as you can get.

If the North Koreans did this the retaliation strike would already be taking off, especially with a president with a "look for a reason" mentality.
Kim has been threatening to nuke the USA for years, even produced stupid video's showing mushroom clouds over the cities and nothing was done, but now that he has shown he is at least close to being capable the worry warts are speaking. People who think Kim wouldn't do this or wouldn't do that need to get their heads out of their asses, this is a guy who slaughters his own family members in an open forum, he holds public executions weekly in the winter months to keep people in line when they're cold and starving. he is an animal and should have been dealt with long ago.

If N-Korea isn't stopped right now the whole region will be probably armed within 20 years, if that happens .....look the f*** out
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #14
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're not going to nuke anybody. If you turn the news off DPRK will go away forever. Better yet, give them a bunch of our nukes. Enough so they can blow up whoever they want. You'll be amazed at how quickly nothing happens.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #15
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Kim has been threatening to nuke the USA for years, even produced stupid video's showing mushroom clouds over the cities and nothing was done, but now that he has shown he is at least close to being capable the worry warts are speaking. People who think Kim wouldn't do this or wouldn't do that need to get their heads out of their asses, this is a guy who slaughters his own family members in an open forum, he holds public executions weekly in the winter months to keep people in line when they're cold and starving. he is an animal and should have been dealt with long ago.

If N-Korea isn't stopped right now the whole region will be probably armed within 20 years, if that happens .....look the f*** out
It reminds me of Saddam Hussein. Once a leader of a country has their inner circle scared of losing their own lives, they will tell the leader whatever they want to hear. North Korea has been in that mode for a long time. This never ends well.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #16
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some guy in the Emergency Alerts office finally got that date with the hot girl, then "Look baby, there's just 20 minutes until the end of the world, what do you have to lose?"
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #17
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking about that scene from wargames where the general gets the one guy from north Dakota on the phone and tells him they are tracking a bunch of inbound missles.

the general keeps the guy on the phone, and then the guy exclaims (in a bit of a drawl) that they are still there after the missles supposedly hit.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #18
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have family members in Maui right now. Youngest sister freaked out when she got the warning, dad was sitting on the lanai having breakfast and told her "Ah well if I'm going to die might as well keep doing what I'm doing".

Of course I'd figure the warhead(s) would be heading for Honolulu, but knowing NK tech I'd be worried they'd miss and hit Maui instead.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #19
Hockeyboy2
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I thought my parents were caught up in all of this as they were in Hawaii. They took a long while to text me back, but when they did they were already back in Calgary (turns out their flight left before this alert happened).

I sent them a link to the article on CNN. Too which they promptly texted back that they did not believe this really happened because I used CNN as a news source and apparently to them CNN is fake news.

Yes the divide between how different people get their news and what they consider to be real news is very real.

Last edited by Hockeyboy2; 01-15-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Hockeyboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #20
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Of course I'd figure the warhead(s) would be heading for Honolulu, but knowing NK tech I'd be worried they'd miss and hit Maui instead.
The ocean seems more likely.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote