Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #61
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
People probably just have different levels of sensitivity to their environment. I don't like inner city neighbourhoods because they seem scuzzy to me. Always a few ne'er to wells stumbling around or begging for change. It doesn't make me feel unsafe, but it does rain on my parade a little. Maybe uneasy is a good word. Definitely takes me out of a happy state to one of "eww" pretty quick. It'd be nice to turn that off and enjoy these inner city areas that people talk so much about. I'm truly perplexed as to what the attraction is, but I have friends that live in them and would never move out.
It totally depends what you're used to. I grew up not to far from Westbrook and have since lived in Beltline and Bridgeland. When I head back out to see the parents by Westbrook it feels like the suburbs to me, single family homes and no pedestrians. It's strange for me to think that anyone considers it 'Inner City'.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #62
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Westbrook Mall and surrounding area was always sketchy, at least for the 12 years I’ve lived here. Don’t think the c-train made much worse. It always was sketchy.
It seems to me that the posted stats about how crime has gone up ~3x faster than the city as a whole since the station opened suggests that maybe it has.

I went to the old Shaganappi library all the time as a kid, it was right mixed in with the social services buildings for all the low income housing in the area, and never recall anything unsavory happening at all, and I would have spent thousands of hours at that library over a roughly 10 year period. Sounds like that's not the case at the new one.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #63
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Forgive me if my sympathies lie with the people living with those issues as opposed to those who may have to witness those issues occasionally.
Nobody is looking for your sympathy, but you're being dishonest with yourself if you can't understand why somebody would think "eww" when a drunk, unclean, disheveled, smelly dude bumbles into them asking for change.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #64
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Forgive me if my sympathies lie with the people living with those issues as opposed to those who may have to witness those issues occasionally.
Saints need no forgiveness sir. Indeed, it is it up to you to forgive all of us for not wanting to be in a library with drunk belligerent homeless people.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #65
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
2012 to 2016 & 2012 to 2017 [crime] percentage increases

Rosscarrock: +72% and +78%
Shaganappi: +42% and +68%
Spruce Cliff: +82% and +78%
Killarney/Glengarry (includes areas a bit further out): +76% and +89%

versus

Total Calgary: +27% and +29%
So the NIMBYs are right? Curse it all!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #66
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So are all the wonderfully overvalued properties along the Greenline going to see stark decline in market value?
81MC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #67
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Westbrook is pretty ugly, but not much different than downtown stations during non-peak hours. During the morning and home rush, it's no big deal.

But at, say, 10 a.m., 1 p.m., or later in the night, there are either a lot more unsavory characters or they're more noticeable.

If its after hours and there's no snow or rain/mud, I'll use Shaganappi station and hoof it a few extra few blocks.
Anyone here who actually rides the ctrain during those off-peak hours will agree with this. however a previous thread on riding the ctrain suggested to me there are many here who have an opinion based on what they see of the stations as they drive past in their car sipping their latte.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #68
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well I took the c-train to and from that station one evening, when I was going to Jubilations. I survived the ordeal without a scratch. On the way home, there was something wrong with the power in the station, so it was totally dark, but the trains were still running. Still did not get robbed or murdered.

However, I did walk by the pay machines in the dark, without noticing where they were (or paying), so I might be one of those undesirables the rest of you are trying to avoid.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:43 PM   #69
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely a $#@%hole c-train station.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:14 AM   #70
I am Beast
Farm Team Player

Exp:

suspicious death there 10:40pm on Tuesday...
I am Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #71
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some details

Quote:
The body of a man was found in the Westbrook Mall parking lot in southwest Calgary late Tuesday night, police say.

Police had been called to the Rosscarrock area about a disturbance at a house in the 1100 block of 37th Street southwest at 10:40 p.m.

When officers arrived, numerous people were seen fleeing what appeared to be a house party across the street from the mall, police said in a release.

Multiple people were taken into custody for questioning. The homicide unit is investigating.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...arty-1.4490854

-
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #72
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Anyone here who actually rides the ctrain during those off-peak hours will agree with this. however a previous thread on riding the ctrain suggested to me there are many here who have an opinion based on what they see of the stations as they drive past in their car sipping their latte.
Do not be fooled, those are Yop gobblers trying to pass as latte sippers. I'd never sip a latte while driving, only while riding a bike or walking around.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #73
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Do not be fooled, those are Yop gobblers trying to pass as latte sippers. I'd never sip a latte while driving, only while riding a bike or walking around.
Ah yes, I see now the distinction between a yop gobbler and latte sipper was fully considered and decided back in 2013. Thanks for the clarification.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 09:51 AM   #74
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Well I took the c-train to and from that station one evening, when I was going to Jubilations. I survived the ordeal without a scratch. On the way home, there was something wrong with the power in the station, so it was totally dark, but the trains were still running. Still did not get robbed or murdered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Huh, wasn't this guy literally murdered a stones throw away from Jubilations?

Look what you did! You jinxed it.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:01 AM   #75
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread has given me a Little Lebanon craving so fierce that I am willing risk life and limb to satisfy it. Police tape, burned out cars, and passed-out drunks are there to challenge me and will just make my shawarma tastier.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #76
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Well, they are dirtier (objectively) since they can't bathe or wash their clothes as often as somebody that lives steps away from a shower, running water with soap and a washing machine. It's unlikely they brush their teeth on the regular, clean their nails, etc. That's not saying they're less than human, but coupled with them begging for money and you'd have to be pretty naive to not understand why that would be off-putting to 99% of the population.
This is totally valid. I live not too far away from the Downtown Eastside in Vancouver, and I can only begin to tell you how off-putting some of what you see is. I enjoy the neighbourhood I'm in, but its not like seeing the homeless and drug problem in your face all the time is exactly a nice experience. I've literally seen needles on the sidewalks. There are parks nearby that you couldn't pay me to walk through, because they look disgusting. I never feel unsafe where I am, but I'm not frequenting a lot of the businesses that are closer to the heart of the DTES either. Its not a lack of compassion or care for the issues -- driving through those streets and seeing the degree of the problem is pretty sad. Its also very frustrating that nothing practical seems to ever be done about it, at least here. The problem has been festering for decades.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #77
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
This thread has given me a Little Lebanon craving so fierce that I am willing risk life and limb to satisfy it. Police tape, burned out cars, and passed-out drunks are there to challenge me and will just make my shawarma tastier.
You need this guy...

Old 01-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #78
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I safely got my shawarma. And I was not prepared for the carnage. That fragrant, messy, delicious carnage.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #79
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plot twist: Jimmy is bloody and unconscious on the ground outside, and the thugs stole his phone and found his CP account
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #80
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Plot twist: Jimmy is bloody and unconscious on the ground outside, and the thugs stole his phone and found his CP account
And we stole his shawarma too. Sucker!
- Thugs
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post: