Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #241
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Exactly! I love that the Flames will get tested in the crucible of California. It will be a good way to accelerate the intensity before the big dance.
Wayyy better than finishing the year against the Jets or Wild like the previous two years. Or a home and home against Vancouver like is the case for Edmonton.

Pre-tournament warm up for the SC playoffs against likely opponents will be great for the team. GG and staff can compile their book on SJ and ANA early.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:16 AM   #242
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

After Monday's games

Flames, Blues, and Predators won
Bhawks lost in overtime

1. Chicago (48-21-7) 44 ROW, 103 pts--first in the Central Division and clinched playoff spot

2. Minnesota (44-24-7) 41 ROW, 95 pts--second in the Central Division and clinched playoff spot

3. Anaheim (41-23-11) 38 ROW, 93 pts--first in the Pacific Division

4. San Jose (42-26-7) 40 ROW, 91 pts--second in the Pacific Division
5. Edmonton (41-25-9) 37 ROW, 91 pts--third in the Pacific Division
6. Calgary (43-29-4) 39 ROW, 90 pts--fourth in the Pacific Division
7. Nashville (39-25-11) 37 ROW, 89 pts--third in the Central Division
8. St. Louis (41-28-6) 40 ROW, 88 pts--fourth in the Central Division

Los Angeles (35-32-7) 33 ROW, 77 pts--fifth in the Pacific Division

This is nuts, the only position that is almost certain is the Bhawks hold on 1st place in the conference. The other 7 spots are up for grabs, fasten your seatbelts because it's going to be a fun and exciting finish.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:55 AM   #243
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames should look at the next six games against California as a playoff round. Avoiding Chicago and/or home ice advantage being the prize.

Flames are now 31-0-1 when leading after two periods but how much nicer would it look if it wasn't for that one OTL!
Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 AM   #244
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Flames should look at the next six games against California as a playoff round. Avoiding Chicago and/or home ice advantage being the prize.

Flames are now 31-0-1 when leading after two periods but how much nicer would it look if it wasn't for that one OTL!
The crazy thing is that happened all the way back on October 15th in game #3 against the Nucks - the own goal by Eriksson while on a delayed penalty (credited to Brouwer) was the lead we had going into the third. We lost in a shootout no less!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:09 AM   #245
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post

Yep, agreed as we get thru this tough tough stretch successfully and carry that momentum into the playoffs and I say we are going deep.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #246
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As the season winds down here, just want to say how thankful I am a playoff positivity thread was created in the first place - especially after such an up-and -down, negative year at times.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:39 AM   #247
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
After Monday's games

Flames, Blues, and Predators won
Bhawks lost in overtime

1. Chicago (48-21-7) 44 ROW, 103 pts--first in the Central Division and clinched playoff spot

2. Minnesota (44-24-7) 41 ROW, 95 pts--second in the Central Division and clinched playoff spot

3. Anaheim (41-23-11) 38 ROW, 93 pts--first in the Pacific Division

4. San Jose (42-26-7) 40 ROW, 91 pts--second in the Pacific Division
5. Edmonton (41-25-9) 37 ROW, 91 pts--third in the Pacific Division
6. Calgary (43-29-4) 39 ROW, 90 pts--fourth in the Pacific Division
7. Nashville (39-25-11) 37 ROW, 89 pts--third in the Central Division
8. St. Louis (41-28-6) 40 ROW, 88 pts--fourth in the Central Division

Los Angeles (35-32-7) 33 ROW, 77 pts--fifth in the Pacific Division

This is nuts, the only position that is almost certain is the Bhawks hold on 1st place in the conference. The other 7 spots are up for grabs, fasten your seatbelts because it's going to be a fun and exciting finish.
I find it ironic that we have the most wins in the Pacific, yet sit 4th. Bloody loser points. 19-5-1 in the last 25 games is insane. Dare I say, the flames could go very deep, and potentially claim lord Stanley!
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #248
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
I find it ironic that we have the most wins in the Pacific, yet sit 4th. Bloody loser points. 19-5-1 in the last 25 games is insane. Dare I say, the flames could go very deep, and potentially claim lord Stanley!
Well, the rules are the same for everyone so maybe the Flames should have picked up more loser points than all of those regulation losses.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for this team but we need to stop making excuses for where the Flames sit in the playoff race.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #249
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Well, the rules are the same for everyone so maybe the Flames should have picked up more loser points than all of those regulation losses.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited for this team but we need to stop making excuses for where the Flames sit in the playoff race.
I'm not saying I don't agree with you, I'm just saying that it's ironic that the flames sit 4th with the most wins. Either way, we're making the playoffs, the only difference is, who we will play.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #250
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying I don't agree with you, I'm just saying that it's ironic that the flames sit 4th with the most wins. Either way, we're making the playoffs, the only difference is, who we will play.

Yeah, fair point and my bad. You aren't the first person to bring it up and wanted to give my opinion on the matter.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #251
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Flames have played 17 OT/SO games and are 13-4. The Oilers have played 18 OT/SO games and are 9-9. This is the reason why the Flames only trail Edmonton by a single point. If the Oilers have a better record in OT/SO the loser point would be mute cause they would be further ahead of the Flames in the standing. The Flames are 30-29 in regulation and this is the reason why they are behind in the standing. The Oilers are 32-25 in regulation.
tsquared1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tsquared1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #252
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsquared1967 View Post
The Flames have played 17 OT/SO games and are 13-4. The Oilers have played 18 OT/SO games and are 9-9. This is the reason why the Flames only trail Edmonton by a single point. If the Oilers have a better record in OT/SO the loser point would be mute cause they would be further ahead of the Flames in the standing. The Flames are 30-29 in regulation and this is the reason why they are behind in the standing. The Oilers are 32-25 in regulation.
And if the NHL didn't give out points for losing the Flames would be 4 points up on the oilers.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #253
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
And if the NHL didn't give out points for losing the Flames would be 4 points up on the oilers.
If we went back to the old NHL points system of 2 points for win and 1 point for ties, the Oilers would have 82 points and the Flames would have 77 points. The Flames have been amazing in OT/SO cause they have better talent then the Oilers. They can send out Monahan/Gaudreau/Giordano and then follow that up with Backlund/Frolik/Brodie. The Oilers can send out McDavid/McDavid/McDavid and follow that up with a loss.
The Following User Says Thank You to tsquared1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:03 PM   #254
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we went back to the old NHL points system of 2 points for win and 1 point for ties, the Oilers would have 82 points and the Flames would have 77 points. The Flames have been amazing in OT/SO cause they have better talent then the Oilers. They can send out Monahan/Gaudreau/Giordano and then follow that up with Backlund/Frolik/Brodie. The Oilers can send out McDavid/McDavid/McDavid and follow that up with a loss.

If they just got rid of the loser point altogether the Flames would have 86 points and the oilers would have 82.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #255
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that math works. For the old system you have to take ROW for the Wins and games gone to SO as Ties.

Flames would be 39-31-6 and have 84 points.

Oilers would have 37-29-9 for 83.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #256
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I don't think you can compare the two point systems one to one. Teams would play different styles (ie. harder in the 3rd) if you weren't going to get any points for a tie.

I love how Oilers fans say they're better off because of more OTL vs OT/SO wins. Only Oiler logic would say that it isn't better to WIN.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #257
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I don't think you can compare the two point systems one to one. Teams would play different styles (ie. harder in the 3rd) if you weren't going to get any points for a tie.

I love how Oilers fans say they're better off because of more OTL vs OT/SO wins. Only Oiler logic would say that it isn't better to WIN.
And it makes me sick to see so many Flames fans on here parroting that crap too. The losers LOST and still got rewarded for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #258
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I don't think that math works. For the old system you have to take ROW for the Wins and games gone to SO as Ties.

Flames would be 39-31-6 and have 84 points.

Oilers would have 37-29-9 for 83.
I am going back to the system where there weren't overtime at all.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #259
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post

In fairness, I don't think they are saying it's better to lose in OT / SO than to win, they are saying it's better to win in regulation. And they have more regulation wins than we do, which is what I believe the basis of their argument is (and one that I actually agree with).
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #260
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will definitely be the thread on the internet that solves the NHL points allotment system once and for all.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is still no good , playoff , snakey , stanley cup , winwinwin