Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 09:25 AM   #221
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I do think the Backlund (lesser effect) Frolik has to be taken into account, much like the Giordano effect has been interesting between Brodie and now Hamilton.

Insert game changer ... success. Remove game changer ... mediocrity.

Backlund got Colborne a contract, Bennett most of an 18 goal rookie season, and now he's been x% of the reason Tkachuk has had such a great rookie season.

I think Tkachuk is great, but I wonder how he would fare if they flipped he and Gaudreau on the top lines.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #222
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

what's with the Wings jersey? He was drafted by the Jets
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #223
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
what's with the Wings jersey? He was drafted by the Jets
Looks like it is a photo shopped picture for this website on re-imagining the 1990 draft

http://puckjunk.com/2015/06/26/re-im...990-nhl-draft/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #224
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
225 is pretty massive man especially if it's all muscle, Perry is an inch taller and 210-215, I mean Getzlaf is listed at 221. Tkachuk has wide frame like his dad so I guess he could bulk up a lot but 210-215 is where I think he will play his best at. He's already a really strong guy, 220+ is overkill and probably effect his skating.
Depends what frame he has. But yeah, at some point more weight doesn't help.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 AM   #225
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm basing it mostly off his dad who filled out to 6'3 / 235 lbs.

It's definitely a much quicker league though so 215/220 does make sense.

Regardless of his size and where he ends up this guy is just such a blast to watch, still can't believe we drafted him.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #226
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Earlier in the year, Backlund and Frolik were carrying Tkachuk somewhat, but for the last month or so, I would argue that Tkachuk has been better than Frolik.

Backlund has been flat out awesome all year.
Remember when Tkachuk/Bennett/Brouwer showed so much promise in the preseason? In hindsight, I think we know who was the real catalyst on that line.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #227
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am curious to how Tkachuk will continue to improve and adapt his play further in the future. His ability to see the ice is incredible for a 19yo in his rookie season. Doesn't look like he lacks confidence in anything he does.

I wonder if the rest of his career balances out to being more of a balanced offensive contributer seeing as he's going to pick up more ugly goals as he continues to work on the nuance of being an NHL level net presence.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #228
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Now that we've seen almost a full season of Tkachuk, who are some of the best comparables for how he plays and what type of player he will turn into?

He reminds me a bit of Todd Bertuzzi in his prime years as well as Corey Perry. A rare blend of size, skill, and grit that loves getting into peoples faces.
Perry for me is the best comparable, Tkachuk is probably a better passer at this stage of their career but Perry has an amazing shot. Tkachuk has a very decent looking release as well but a bit under utizilized so far. Everything else is pretty damn similar, I lived in San Diego for 8 years and watching a young Perry is very similar to watching Tkachuk, I would always watch him wishing he was a Flame. I mean Perry was a London Knight as well, Tkachuk may be a bit further along at this stage of their career but they are pretty damn similar. Will be fun if their lines go at it in the next few games we play them.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #229
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Backlund got Colborne a contract,
No, he didn't. Colborne was really damn good down the stretch. Backlund is fantastic but we don't need to re-write history to pump up the hot players at the moment.

Similar to Tkachuk-Bennett-Brouwer in the pre season. Tkachuk looked fine in exhibition but it wasn't until later in his 9 game audition and beyond where he really turned it on.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #230
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do think the Backlund (lesser effect) Frolik has to be taken into account, much like the Giordano effect has been interesting between Brodie and now Hamilton.

Backlund got Colborne a contract, Bennett most of an 18 goal rookie season, and now he's been x% of the reason Tkachuk has had such a great rookie season.

I think Tkachuk is great, but I wonder how he would fare if they flipped he and Gaudreau on the top lines.
I understand Backlund has a great affect on players but there's a reason why he's having a career year. Tkachuk is the perfect linemate for him
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:13 AM   #231
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Remember when Tkachuk/Bennett/Brouwer showed so much promise in the preseason? In hindsight, I think we know who was the real catalyst on that line.
Bennett and Tkachuk were both great. They were both great on that Brodie goal a few games back and that one Bennett snipe around November, too. They're practically meant to play together like Getzlaf and Perry, but how do you justify breaking up the 3M line?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #232
SofaProfessor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

It's a valid question but I would say Tkachuk has an edge to his game that compliments what Backlund does just as much as Backlund's game compliments his. Bennett has not only had a change of linemates this year but also a change of position. And he's started to turn the corner this past week.

Basically, I'm sure Tkachuk is experiencing some sort of Backlund effect but I also think Backlund is benefiting from a bit of a Tkachuk effect. I think they're both the type of player that makes their linemates better rather than someone like Colborne who just rode the success of Backlund.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #233
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Bennett and Tkachuk were both great. They were both great on that Brodie goal a few games back and that one Bennett snipe around November, too. They're practically meant to play together like Getzlaf and Perry, but how do you justify breaking up the 3M line?
Yeah, it's tough, but I think it's worth debating.

First, I don't think Tkachuk needs them anymore - he is a quality NHL forward in his own right now, and is ready to be utilized wherever the team needs him.

But the other issue is: is there someone else who could step into Backlund's line and have them be able to continue to have success. Personally, I think Ferland could. I also think Versteeg would look great there.

If either of those worked, you could put Tkachuk with Bennett, and I think you'd be well on your way to having another solid line. I think:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Versteeg - Backlund - Frolik
Tkachuk - Bennett - Brouwer

provides more balance in the attack.

Or switch Ferland and Brouwer and unleash the

Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland

beast (but only at home where they can be sheltered defensively)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #234
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

First, I don't think Tkachuk needs them anymore - he is a quality NHL forward in his own right now, and is ready to be utilized wherever the team needs him.

But the other issue is: is there someone else who could step into Backlund's line and have them be able to continue to have success. Personally, I think Ferland could. I also think Versteeg would look great there.

If either of those worked, you could put Tkachuk with Bennett, and I think you'd be well on your way to having another solid line. I think:

Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland

I think Ferland might work there but I don't think Versteeg works at all. I don't think that line is because of any one player as much as their skill sets compliment each other well. Whether it was already in his game or learned from playing on the line Tkachuk has a strong sense of puck control. He is relentless on the boards and chases and protects very well, he owns the space behind the net and has a nose to be in front for the point shot. He is a prototypical power-forward and works perfectly with the forecheck and skill of his linemates.

I could see Ferland play that style but I don't think he has the skill level of Tkachuk. I think Versteeg's skills don't relate to that low pressure game, he couldn't control behind the net like Tkachuk does. Honestly the only player I could see replacing Tkachuk would be Bennett, but that defeats the purpose of moving them.

The line works, it is amazing to think how they are so effectively without offensive zone starts. I get wanting to try and spread the love, but I think the risk of wrenching this line isn't worth it.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #235
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Such a chip off the old block, they even both have issues with mouthguards...

Old 03-04-2017, 02:33 AM   #236
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a beast...

Old 03-04-2017, 04:20 AM   #237
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
What a beast...

Don't think you should leave Joe Nieuwendyck off that list.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 04:21 AM   #238
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Don't think you should leave Joe Nieuwendyck off that list.
"Teenage Rookie"
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 04:43 AM   #239
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's pretty harsh that he's only 5th in rookie scoring. Many other years he would be right near the top of the rookie scoring charts.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:06 AM   #240
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tkachuk-Bennett-Ferland

How about starting Lazar there? (Assuming Frolik switches to LW). Similar motor to Tkachuk and Bennett, not sure about the rest....
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: