Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 11:16 PM   #1261
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Full transparency, I can't recall if I pulled this off of Twitter/FB, or another thread on here.

But, everyone one of us needs to hear Cornish, especially starting at the 3:00 mark.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7011325/j...pksvnASqbrW7q8

Right here in Calgary, quite recently. FFS.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:17 PM   #1262
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Is America great again?
It never was.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:24 PM   #1263
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I too was publicly critical of the new cars and was basically called a panzy by Rick Bell. So, that was fun.
Rick Bell is a pimple on the ass of Calgary, I wouldn't put much stock into that.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:29 PM   #1264
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Full transparency, I can't recall if I pulled this off of Twitter/FB, or another thread on here.

But, everyone one of us needs to hear Cornish, especially starting at the 3:00 mark.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7011325/j...pksvnASqbrW7q8

Right here in Calgary, quite recently. FFS.
Yeah, racism/stereotyping is definitely a thing in Canada. As a minority (South Asian) I have been lucky to not have experienced any first hand in either Calgary or up on site in Fort McMurray, but I have definitely heard of stories from different minorities both locally and other provinces who have faced racism/stereotyping.

It appears to significantly be slanted towards blacks, natives and people who fit the description of what people assume “Islamist Terrorists” look like.

Awareness needs to be increased. Racist rhetoric and repeating of stereotypes needs to go down in society. This is not just about the police force and their brutality/bias (which is most definitely a huge thing) but it is about systemic racism that has become part of the identity in USA as well as Canada (though maybe to a lesser extent, I’m not sure)

The reason I use the term stereotyping is there can be a grey area in what can be perceived as racist by both the perpetrator and the victim and stereotyping needs to be considered as well as being hurtful towards bringing the world together

Last edited by agulati; 06-01-2020 at 11:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:31 PM   #1265
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
A Twitter account that tweeted a call to violence and claimed to be representing the position of "Antifa" was in fact created by a known white supremacist group, Twitter said Monday. The company removed the account.

"This account violated our platform manipulation and spam policy, specifically the creation of fake accounts," a Twitter spokesperson said in a statement. "We took action after the account sent a Tweet inciting violence and broke the Twitter Rules."
Although the account only had a few hundred followers, it is an example of white supremacists seeking to inflame tensions in the United States by posing as left-wing activists online.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/tech/...unt/index.html
Old 06-01-2020, 11:35 PM   #1266
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I hope more such connections are found and published and shown by the media.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:37 PM   #1267
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

More knee on neck action

Now with weapon planting!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267305587206807553
Old 06-01-2020, 11:39 PM   #1268
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:41 PM   #1269
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Pimp My Riot
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:54 PM   #1270
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
More knee on neck action

Now with weapon planting!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267305587206807553
Well, that should calm things down. Seriously, how can someone be that stupid?
Old 06-02-2020, 12:06 AM   #1271
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
It's starting to become pretty clear that they don't have much else in the playbook.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 12:12 AM   #1272
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its an extremely dated playbook at that, never tailored for the advent of video cameras on phones. Too stupid to adapt.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:49 AM   #1273
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I hope you read the rest of what I said to put in in context...I am disputing the way the data being used to prove racism against the RCMP. 5% of the population vs. 36% of police shootings.

I think you would see similar findings using data based on socioeconomic backgrounds and not skin color.
Your own numbers say 4x more likely to commit a crime, using that wouldn't 20% of the deaths at the hands of the RCMP be more on par with that? that still makes that 36% far too high. I've been in security the last decade and I deal with the police and some of the worst of all races and I can tell you the way the some police treat aboriginals is far worse than thy treat whites and even blacks.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:11 AM   #1274
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Your own numbers say 4x more likely to commit a crime, using that wouldn't 20% of the deaths at the hands of the RCMP be more on par with that? that still makes that 36% far too high. I've been in security the last decade and I deal with the police and some of the worst of all races and I can tell you the way the some police treat aboriginals is far worse than thy treat whites and even blacks.
You're the expert I guess
Old 06-02-2020, 01:27 AM   #1275
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Apologies if this has been posted already but let me introduce you to my new favorite police chief:

I’m quoting this because I hope it reaches more posters that way. If you haven’t watched this interview, if you have the time (5 min) please do.

This is what passion looks like when it is channeled in the right way.

This is a leader, not because he criticised Trump, but because of what he said, how he said it and the obvious belief he held in what he said.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 01:46 AM   #1276
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
He presumably inflicted some sort of damage to the cop right at the start of the video who is on his backside and hobbles away in distress. The video clearly starts partway through the incident.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 02:34 AM   #1277
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
He presumably inflicted some sort of damage to the cop right at the start of the video who is on his backside and hobbles away in distress. The video clearly starts partway through the incident.
I know you feel strongly about this cause, for obvious reasons and I would like to acknowledge and thank you for your ability to still be objective.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 04:10 AM   #1278
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
At the same time you can presumably assume that the cop started somethimg with the protester and the cop eneded up injuring himself in the process or the citizen was protecting himself because the cop atracked him firt.. the only thing that video shows is a guy getting beaten by police. You can alledge anything before that but the fact the video show is not what whe accept to arrest a man down with multiple officers on top spreading his arms out on the pavent ahowing no resistance to an arrest. Even if he had cold cocked the officer and this happened would be unacceptable. He clearly wasn't resisting. He was complying. Even dylann roof got a peacful arrest with a trip to burger king afterwards.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 06-02-2020 at 04:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 04:57 AM   #1279
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm obviously not of colour but I have had my interactions with police and security. I too have not been unable to breath due to police and security alike . These men were not lying . I too have muttered this exact words under similar situations. Police nor security do not take your pleas for help seriously. I too have been choked until i passed out but luckily I was able to continue on. This ####ing exact situation happened to me but I was luckly able to wake up in the midsts of transport .

I stand for Eric Garner. I stand for George Floyd.
I Stand for reform because this doesn't just happen in the USA this does happen in Canada aswell. I stand for change. I stande because at one point I couldn't stand ..I was being choked .

#ICANTBREATHE
Old 06-02-2020, 05:05 AM   #1280
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
I too was publicly critical of the new cars and was basically called a panzy by Rick Bell. So, that was fun.
The "silly" hall guy is still employed?

Nenshi tried to stop the police budget from expanding years ago and every councillor voted with the cops. John Mar was my guy, and he was a bought and paid for vote for the boys in blue. They own Calgary unfortunately. Their budget is now twice what the fire department is...go figure.
Closed Thread