Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2018, 01:35 PM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My boy wants to watch that, is it appropriate for a 12 yr old?
There might be a little bit of profanity here and there but that's about it. Seems OK to me.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #22
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
There might be a little bit of profanity here and there but that's about it. Seems OK to me.
Can't be worst than he hears from his mom.......

thanks

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My boy wants to watch that, is it appropriate for a 12 yr old?
I don't know if he'll get much out of it. It really seems like it's targeted at 40-50 year-old men because it's mostly about the toys we all grew up with (except for the Barbie and Hello Kitty episodes).
Old 07-10-2018, 02:17 PM   #24
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

A documentary series my kids really enjoyed is Abstract. Very cool and inspiring for kids to see creative people achieve excellence. And it looks fantastic.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #25
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Now, in Canada, of course its a different story. Bell owns the rights to HBO content (rumoured until 2020, and who knows, they might strike a new deal). Bell did not follow HBO's lead and make the content available standalone. They are the dinosaurs refusing to meet the consumer demands. They have at least started making 1+ year old HBO content available standalone via CraveTV, but this isn't enough to satisfy the consumer demands for a popular 'watercooler' show like Game of Thrones. Under this model, it is no surprise if piracy is rampant.

It's also to the point where people pirate TV because online is fragmented too much. I don't want to subscribe to 5 or 6 different online services to catch the shows I want, I want a central portal with everything. That doesn't exist, so I subscribe to Netflix as it has most of what I watch, and then I download the rest to my Plex server
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #26
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's also to the point where people pirate TV because online is fragmented too much. I don't want to subscribe to 5 or 6 different online services to catch the shows I want, I want a central portal with everything. That doesn't exist, so I subscribe to Netflix as it has most of what I watch, and then I download the rest to my Plex server
So basically the world doesn't cater to your ideal, so you feel justified in pirating. . . .

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #27
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Models for specific content subscriptions are improving, but still antiquated and falling well below consumer demand/expectation. And yes, a single service where one could subscribe to any/all specific content (without paying for content one doesn't want) would take a big bite out of piracy.
The US is far better than Canada, but still no good.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #28
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Content creators delivering that content through their own platforms is the new normal. That's why Netflix is frantically building up its own content library - the day is coming when that's pretty much all they have.

It's a hassle to manage multiple accounts, but it's still cheaper than cable. A fairly basic cable package runs $90/mo. You can have five $9 a month streaming services and still pay half the monthly video content bill that you had with cable.

The problem is the perceived value of digital contents keeps declining.

10 years ago, here's what I was paying: $90/mo cable, $50/mo movie rentals, $80/mo buying DVD box sets. Total $220/mo.

Here's what I pay today for a vastly larger selection of content: $9/mo Netflix; $7/mo Crave; if I assume 1/2 of my internet usage goes to TV and movie streaming, that's $45; $20/mo renting or buying movies on iTunes; $30/mo for NHL during hockey season. Total $111/mo.. About half what I used to pay.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #29
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except particularly in Canada, individual content isn't possible.
We just recently made decision to go as legit as possible here in the US, and that requires subscribing to 5 streaming services, not counting sports. I'm still looking at trying to find better options for AMC, because $16/month for Philo is the cheapest streaming option where AMC is available. I'd be happy to pay half that per month for AMC only.

The other problem is in easily managing those services. I travel regularly, and momma gets very angry that she now needs to know which streaming service provides which content, and must load and navigate that app, etc.
So I manage the content. Use VPN to download all the shows (we are now legally subscribed to) and share that throughout the home on a networked hard drive through Kodi app on each TV, using Trakt to manage syncing of watched vs unwatched. So exactly like I did before, just now subscribed to the content but not consuming it legitimately, I suppose.
And nothing will never allow for me, a Canadian citizen living abroad, to subscribe to TSN.

I guess none of this belongs in this thread and I'll stop derailing now.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:52 AM   #30
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't know if he'll get much out of it. It really seems like it's targeted at 40-50 year-old men because it's mostly about the toys we all grew up with (except for the Barbie and Hello Kitty episodes).
You might be right, but if he is willing to give it a shot, so am I.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #31
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

A cross post but if you like the fall and broadchurch, would recommend Safe and The Five. Also shouts for hinterland and retribution.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 01:45 AM   #32
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Anybody else watching Who is America?

Pure insanity so far through 2 episodes. Sacha Baron Cohen should get a journalistic award of some kind.

AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 AM   #33
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

A few good series have just gotten underway:

1. “The Chi” - A Showtime series reminiscent of the Wire, though several steps below in smarts (like everything, really). First season is complete. I really enjoyed it. Great characters with a large cast set in the south side of Chicago.

2. “The Terror” - New AMC series, also just finished its first season. Amazing series about two ships lost in the Canadian north while trying to find the NW passage in 1846. Great production value and great acting. It has a supernatural element to it, too. Really enjoying this one: haven’t finished the first season yet. Big recommendation.

3. “Sharp Objects” - Next up for me. HBO series starring Amy Adams. Looks great, maybe a little like True Detective. Hopefully season one and not two!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 05:21 AM   #34
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

Pure insanity so far through 2 episodes. Sacha Baron Cohen should get a journalistic award of some kind.
I've only seen a clip with the Israeli anti-terrorism expert character speaking to the NRA guys about arming toddlers. I'll have to get into it when I get back from vacation.

What's the easiest way to view it?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #35
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I've only seen a clip with the Israeli anti-terrorism expert character speaking to the NRA guys about arming toddlers. I'll have to get into it when I get back from vacation.

What's the easiest way to view it?
It’s on CraveTV.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #36
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
3. “Sharp Objects” - Next up for me. HBO series starring Amy Adams. Looks great, maybe a little like True Detective. Hopefully season one and not two!
My wife is a big fan of Gillian Flynn and Big Little Lies, so we've been watching Sharp Objects the last few weeks.

A couple things:

a) performances are excellent across the board
b) it's a real slow burn, moreso than True Detective
c) so far anyway, it's more of an analysis piece of Amy Adam's character and her history with the town of Wind Gap more than a murder mystery

None of this however is to intone that it's not good; far from it actually. But it's definitely a different show than I had initially expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 06:39 PM   #37
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

The jason spencer apology and aftermath is insane. I totally thought he was in on it at first. Omg
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:05 PM   #38
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The post-credit scene with Spencer is probably worse than the main segment.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1021222889130020864
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 08:01 PM   #39
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is his apology, lol
https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/23/enter...rsy/index.html
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 PM   #40
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, there has to be some panicked people and attorneys of people who are realizing they got hoodwinked, but their episode hasn't aired yet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote