Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2020, 12:22 AM   #101
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Poppa Hamonic looking out for his baby girl, I have nothing but respect for that decision.

Unlike some others, I'm still a fan of his and believe this is a pretty big loss to the team.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 12:23 AM   #102
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish more of us were able too walk away from our jobs to take care of our family. Harmonic did what he should have, I just hope he understands how fortunate he is to not have to choose between money, and family. My work place is permanently closing in the next month because the current situation. We have literally had employees abandon shifts because of stress. We have all been affected, it's just that most of us aren't sitting on a million dollar safety net right now.
ignite09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:27 AM   #103
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
I wish more of us were able too walk away from our jobs to take care of our family. Harmonic did what he should have, I just hope he understands how fortunate he is to not have to choose between money, and family. My work place is permanently closing in the next month because the current situation. We have literally had employees abandon shifts because of stress. We have all been affected, it's just that most of us aren't sitting on a million dollar safety net right now.
Considering what the Hamonic family went through when his dad died, Hammer absolutely knows how fortunate he is to be able to make this decision. All the good Hammer does in the community is based on how fortunate he knows he is and he wants to pay it forward.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 12:38 AM   #104
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Meh no loss.
I dunno man, a healthy hammer is a good thing in every situation...including playoff hockey
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 01:25 AM   #105
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't want to spend several weeks in Edmonton either
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 02:30 AM   #106
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
I hate reading stuff like this from fans. It kind of comes across as “poor me” and also gives the impression like NHL players are lucky to have millions. Well they are lucky but it's not like it was given to them. They are the best of the best because they were born freakishly good at hockey plus had the work ethic to practice and perfect their talent throughout their lives.

Plus I feel Harmonic has crap luck. Even on the ice he is always getting hurt let alone his personal life.

No reason to shame someone for choosing family over sport.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 02:33 AM   #107
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I blame China.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 02:44 AM   #108
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

A true warrior who put out his heart and soul whenever he played. He wore the Flaming C with pride.

We may have seen our last game with Hamonic on the squad, but family always comes first. Thanks for the good memories, Hamonic. Good luck on your future endeavors. You'll always be a liked Flame in my eyes.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:54 AM   #109
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I hate reading stuff like this from fans. It kind of comes across as “poor me” and also gives the impression like NHL players are lucky to have millions. Well they are lucky but it's not like it was given to them. They are the best of the best because they were born freakishly good at hockey plus had the work ethic to practice and perfect their talent throughout their lives.

Plus I feel Harmonic has crap luck. Even on the ice he is always getting hurt let alone his personal life.

No reason to shame someone for choosing family over sport.
You hate reading that I wish more people had these kind of options? That offends your sensibilities? Things are rough out there for a lot of people right now, Hamonic has the option to choose his family over career. I'm not going to apologize to you for my frustration that I know a lot of people who live paycheck to paycheck wishing they had that avenue available too them. Simple frustration at a difficult time.
ignite09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ignite09 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 05:49 AM   #110
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1281898696615948291
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 06:03 AM   #111
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like a win-win for the player and the team. Hamonic gets to keep his daughter safe and Calgary gets to ice its best defensemen for the first time all season.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:13 AM   #112
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sven won't show up...what else is new?
Old 07-11-2020, 06:42 AM   #113
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Sven won't show up...what else is new?
Stop with the low blows everyone.

I'm surprised ANY of these guys are deciding to return to play. There's a LOT of risk still even in these bubbles, so it shouldn't be considered such an automatic to play in these circumstances.

All the best to Sven. I wonder what his next move is for his career. He was relegated to the minors this year, and even though he has a year remaining on his contract, I wonder if he finds a better option playing in Europe next year.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #114
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see it reflecting badly on players going into contract negotiations or guys that are more fringe type players. No one says that it will, but it will.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 06:49 AM   #115
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

He did what he had to do for his family, so it can't be taken badly. As a third dman he would've been useful for the playoffs, so it's too bad.

On the original trade, I was personally pissed Treliving made that deal. Hamonic was always a good player, but the media hyped him up so much that year to make him a household name every team had to have. To give up a 1st and 2 2nds still pisses me off - not at the outcome, but for what he was at the time - just a solid dman who could move it out of his zone. The outcome is the outcome, but that's one deal where Treliving bought into the hype when that price was ridiculous. If there was no media around the guy at the time, maybe a couple 2nd rounders would be the price, but the 1st was Treliving needing to make the big splash.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #116
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
He did what he had to do for his family, so it can't be taken badly. As a third dman he would've been useful for the playoffs, so it's too bad.

On the original trade, I was personally pissed Treliving made that deal. Hamonic was always a good player, but the media hyped him up so much that year to make him a household name every team had to have. To give up a 1st and 2 2nds still pisses me off - not at the outcome, but for what he was at the time - just a solid dman who could move it out of his zone. The outcome is the outcome, but that's one deal where Treliving bought into the hype when that price was ridiculous. If there was no media around the guy at the time, maybe a couple 2nd rounders would be the price, but the 1st was Treliving needing to make the big splash.
And best Edmonton to the punch . I believe this was a deal where we got caught up in not allowing a rival to get a player and outbidding them. Never a good way to do business
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 07:00 AM   #117
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Travis. Thanks for all you've done defending your team mates.
Representing the team in the community . Glad you wore red and most of all showed what a father does when his family needs him.

God.bless.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 07:03 AM   #118
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I could see more fringe guys like Sven opting out now that I think about it. All the the risk just to potentially sit in the press box. I can see why that wouldn't be worth the risk.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #119
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I could see it reflecting badly on players going into contract negotiations or guys that are more fringe type players. No one says that it will, but it will.
I agree to a point. I think that if a player opts out for a really good reason, GMs will understand and it will not reflect poorly on them. But if it is felt there isn't a good reason, it will be held against them.

Hammer is a guy who I believe it won't reflect poorly on when it comes to negotiating a new deal because his reason is one anyone can understand.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #120
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I could see more fringe guys like Sven opting out now that I think about it. All the the risk just to potentially sit in the press box. I can see why that wouldn't be worth the risk.
I’m speculating but Sven was dispatched to the minors and probably didn’t like it. Was shopped by Benning for weeks with no takers because of his contract. He probably wants nothing to do with the Canucks at this point, let alone going to Edmonton to sit in the press box.

Not sure if there are other “disgruntled” players in the same boat but Sven opting out doesn’t surprise me: https://theprovince.com/sports/hocke...sven-baertschi
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: