Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Moderator account needs to clear out their PMs

Just a heads up that we can't send messages to the Mod account because the mailbox is full.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Should work now
Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Should work now
No dice.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just received a warning, tried to follow up, inbox full.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Deleted a bunch give it a try
Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope.

Maybe I should just post my response here?

---------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator
Dear Flash Walken,

You have received a warning at Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community.

Reason:
-------
Not a good contribution.

We have noticed a lot of your posts lately have been one sentence or less. Things like 'lol' do not help the discussion at all. If you want to debate or discuss something, do it. One word drive-bys like this posts are not wanted or needed. Add something of substance.
-------

Original Post:
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=7196250
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Nope. If that were true then he would not keep signing for that perennial loser in SJ.

In truth, Joe Thornton just wants to keep living in Santa Clara County, cashing multi-million dollar cheques, and playing hockey as long as his body sustains him.
Lol
Warnings serve as a reminder to you of the forum's rules, which you are expected to understand and follow.

All the best,
Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Can i get a definition of what constitutes a 'drive-by'?

Does the moderation team have any comment on one of their members trolling the message board with HFBoards worthy commentary?

I understand maybe you guys have made a mistake and it's hard to go back, but is there an argument for why one of the most antagonistic posters on the whole board is a moderator and what that says for the quality of discussion you're trying to cultivate?

Seems antithetical to me.

Sometimes things deserve to be laughed at right on their face. I see this moderator do this with tremendous consistency to posters such as ricardodw so I'm just wondering what the standard is here.

Does this constitute a drive by or are the standards different for posters than they are for moderators?

Quote:
What is even going on in this post?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Do tell...
Quote:
Wow.
Quote:
Hahahaha!

What?!
Quote:
grit!
Quote:
Why??
Quote:
Actually...
The reputation this board used to cultivate was that of serious hockey talk. If you're looking to be calgaryflames.com or HFOilers please let me know and I will make the commensurate changes to my posting style and frequency.

Lord knows this board isn't losing members and posts seemingly by the day...

Just google the popular sentiment about this board now and see what comes up.

--------------------------------
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

My curiosity has been piqued. Is overall post quantity in 2019 down from 2018, and was it down in 2018 from 2017?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:30 PM   #8
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 2 cents and this is me talking. Not Bingo. Not the moderation team. Just me.
If you want this site to be better - be better yourself.

You've been rightly called out by many people for your low value one liners - by moderators, by fellow posters, by the owner of this site.

So you want a better site? Be part of the solution instead of the problem.

Every site has people that like it or dislike it - so I don't really care what one reads if you google Calgarypuck sentiment or whatever.

You seem to have a specific problem with one moderator. Surely as a grown adult you are able to deal with that? This is a hockey site with people having fun and talking about a sport they love. The level of frustration you seem to have with some posters and the site in general makes me wonder why you simply don't move on.

Otherwise what are you looking for here?

Again. You want a better Calgarypuck. Start by being better yourself.

Or find a different site where you would be happier.

But I'm tired of whatever this is.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 07:25 PM   #9
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

As an aside I think I've resolved the issue with PMs to the Moderator account.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #10
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
My 2 cents and this is me talking. Not Bingo. Not the moderation team. Just me.
If you want this site to be better - be better yourself.

You've been rightly called out by many people for your low value one liners - by moderators, by fellow posters, by the owner of this site.

So you want a better site? Be part of the solution instead of the problem.

Every site has people that like it or dislike it - so I don't really care what one reads if you google Calgarypuck sentiment or whatever.

You seem to have a specific problem with one moderator. Surely as a grown adult you are able to deal with that? This is a hockey site with people having fun and talking about a sport they love. The level of frustration you seem to have with some posters and the site in general makes me wonder why you simply don't move on.

Otherwise what are you looking for here?

Again. You want a better Calgarypuck. Start by being better yourself.

Or find a different site where you would be happier.

But I'm tired of whatever this is.
Shouldn't the moderators be leading from the front though? Like if you guys can't be bothered to follow the rules and standards you'd like to see yourselves, why should anyone else feel inclined to?

EDIT: I also get the argument that virtue is its own reward but seeing mods behaving in ways that would get the rest of us infractions and trips to the sin bin is pretty frustrating.

Last edited by rubecube; 09-11-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Shouldn't the moderators be leading from the front though? Like if you guys can't be bothered to follow the rules and standards you'd like to see yourselves, why should anyone else feel inclined to?

EDIT: I also get the argument that virtue is its own reward but seeing mods behaving in ways that would get the rest of us infractions and trips to the sin bin is pretty frustrating.
That sounds like an argument a 4 year old would give to this mother. "But Mom! Joey is doing it too! How come he isn't being punished?"

Control your own responses and stop worrying about other posters and their style of posting. That's my 2 cents
Old 09-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #12
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
That sounds like an argument a 4 year old would give to this mother. "But Mom! Joey is doing it too! How come he isn't being punished?"

Control your own responses and stop worrying about other posters and their style of posting. That's my 2 cents
So is your assertion then that mods should be held to a lesser standard than the rest of the community or are you just playing the teacher's pet role?
Old 09-11-2019, 05:39 PM   #13
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
So is your assertion then that mods should be held to a lesser standard than the rest of the community or are you just playing the teacher's pet role?
I'm not saying that. I have zero control over how other posters post and my only focus is on my own contributions to the forum. If I have a problem with a poster I usually ignore their posts.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #14
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In any community or organization anyone can lead.
But I get your point. I wouldn't agree that "we guys can't be bothered to follow the rules". That's a pretty broad statement. You are welcome to feel that way though.
I'm not going to comment on any one mod, just as I wouldn't comment about any one poster. The only reason I offered my thoughts up to FW is because he asked for a response.
I will say that the moderation team is a diverse group of people from different backgrounds and personality types. We actually deliberately vastly expanded the group years ago in part to ensure we were more diverse. And we try to hold ourselves accountable. If someone crosses a line, or if an action is disagreed with, we talk about it.
Doesn't mean we are perfect. I know I'm not. I know that some folks on the site don't care for me as a poster or a moderator. That's OK. We can't all get along. And I know over the years I've posted things I have regretted.

Which goes back to my original point. Ultimately the quality of any community is driven by the quality of every member. So if people want a better CP, be better CP members.

Even look at your response to Dion. He offered his view and you hit him with a teacher's pet blast. Is that the best way to continue this discussion? Believe me Dion is perfectly comfortable criticizing us when he wants to.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 09-11-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean his view also started off by insinuating he was arguing like a 4 year old because he felt mods should spearhead the standards. I'm not sure what kind of response one expects there.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
In any community or organization anyone can lead.
But I get your point. I wouldn't agree that "we guys can't be bothered to follow the rules". That's a pretty broad statement. You are welcome to feel that way though.
I'm not going to comment on any one mod, just as I wouldn't comment about any one poster. The only reason I offered my thoughts up to FW is because he asked for a response.
Okay, but like it or not, most people see mods as an embodiment of a forum and forum's standards. For some people, seeing mods post in a certain manner is going to make them think that posting in said manner is acceptable. Maybe that's not fair or right, but it's kind of the way it is. You'll notice I didn't comment on one mod either but I also don't want to lump all of you in with one person because that doesn't seem fair either.

I don't generally complain about the moderation team here and think for the most part you all do a good job. I would say that there might be a mod or two who would benefit from just going back to being regular posters so that they don't necessarily reflect the moderation team when they're dragging their asses all over the place, for lack of a better term. It might also help to freshen up the moderation team every once in a while and switch people in and out so that the burden doesn't fall on the same people all the time and burn people out.

Quote:
Which goes back to my original point. Ultimately the quality of any community is driven by the quality of every member. So if people want a better CP, be better CP members.
Okay but are the mods not members of the community? If you want to disagree that the mod team shouldn't be held to a higher standard than the rest of us, that's fine, but they should at least be held to the same standards, and FW's post and my own experiences illustrate that this isn't the case.

The other thing I've noticed happening more frequently is that the ####posters and trolls seem to not be being policed as much as previously so the forum members are taking it on themselves to do so, which results in more of the one-liners, drive-bys, pile-ons, etc. An example of this is a previously banned poster, who was banned for being an abrasive, obnoxious troll, has returned and is being an abrasive, obnoxious troll in almost every single thread they've participated, dragging entire threads into the gutter and derailing them and nothing is being done about it. I've reported said poster several times and I know others have as well but nothing ever appears to be done.

I understand that the mods have lives and can't be everywhere all the time, but that's insanely frustrating as a poster to deal with. It would probably help a little bit to at least acknowledge that the report has been received and whether the mod team agrees with the report or why they don't. You don't necessarily have to tell us what actions you're taking against the poster but some acknowledgement would at least help us feel that we're not just banging our heads against the wall and screaming into the void.

You can say "well just ignore them" but this poster is in almost all of the threads I frequent daily and to ignore them I would have to basically ignore those threads, and then why bother visiting CP anymore? And again, it's not just me that has a problem with this particular poster. I don't think that's the message that you guys and gals want to be sending either, as eventually it's just going to discourage the 90% of reasonable posters here in favour of the 10% who are behaving like asshats.

Quote:
Even look at your response to Dion. He offered his view and you hit him with a teacher's pet blast. Is that the best way to continue this discussion? Believe me Dion is perfectly comfortable criticizing us when he wants to.
Okay, but as nik pointed out, Dion came in here and responded to my perfectly reasonable critique of the mod team by comparing me to a 4 year-old. What reaction did he think he was going to get with that?
Old 09-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #17
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I'm not saying that. I have zero control over how other posters post and my only focus is on my own contributions to the forum. If I have a problem with a poster I usually ignore their posts.
Okay but you can't put mods on ignore. And if one is being a ubiquitous ####poster, the only way to truly ignore them is to stay out of the threads they participate in. And for the most part, I do. This is why you don't generally see me in FoI. But again, I don't think that's the message Bingo or the mods want to actually send.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #18
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I mean his view also started off by insinuating he was arguing like a 4 year old because he felt mods should spearhead the standards. I'm not sure what kind of response one expects there.
My point wasn't meant to be offensive to Rubie. I was trying to think of an example to illustrate a point I wanted to make and came up with that. Sometimes you have to look beyond what was said to the meaning behind it.