Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #2821
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A spokesperson for Nenshi said: “The mayor was working while at the conference, so there was no need for the Deputy to take action.”
That's the response, at least so far. Would have taken all of two seconds to get someone to email the council that the mayor was out of town for a bit. Would have been reasonable to just respond with "oh sorry, should have let them know" but this is Nenshi, he'll never admit to doing wrong.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #2822
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

The outrage here seems very strange at this.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #2823
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
That's the response, at least so far. Would have taken all of two seconds to get someone to email the council that the mayor was out of town for a bit. Would have been reasonable to just respond with "oh sorry, should have let them know" but this is Nenshi, he'll never admit to doing wrong.
What wrong is there to admit to? He was gone for 36 hours and missed a total of nothing. There was one unplanned speaking request that Gondek had to move personal plans around for because she chose to take it, and still managed to blow off most of the day while complaining to the media.

I get if there were meetings or debates or some reason he actually had to be there. But there weren’t. He’s the Mayor and a member of city council, not their dad. If we’ve elected City Council members that can’t go a day without knowing where the Mayor is then maybe they aren’t fit for the job.

Y’all remember when DCU blew off a bunch of debates and votes to go on a cruise, including planning to miss the Budget debates? Remember when other councillors said they didn’t know where she was? That’s probably the level of issue where admitting to being wrong was in order. Not being gone for a day and a half and missing zero work.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #2824
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
What wrong is there to admit to? He was gone for 36 hours and missed a total of nothing.
If you had coworkers who sent out a simple request of knowing when you were out of the office during office hours, (especially if you're gone for a couple days) nothing more, and you refused to do so, you don't think you would be in the wrong? It takes 2 seconds to update a calendar.

This isn't a one-off. They've said they had repeated conversations with Nenshi, and Nenshi doesn't share their perspective. The working relationship is already deteriorated by all accounts in City Hall between council, and he will just straight up refuse a simple request? No wonder people don't get along.

I think that's a wrong that needs to be admitted.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #2825
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hilarious.

Someone's iMessage send gets hung up in the system and not delivered before going into airplane mode for an overseas flight.

Entire city media overreacts and hundreds of citizens shake sticks.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #2826
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry how does the mayor leave town during the stampede? This is a major time for the city - to me this is messed up. Its like a public accounttant taking april off.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #2827
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Hilarious.

Someone's iMessage send gets hung up in the system and not delivered before going into airplane mode for an overseas flight.

Entire city media overreacts and hundreds of citizens shake sticks.

Not entire city media, just one Herald editorial board member.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:08 PM   #2828
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Sorry how does the mayor leave town during the stampede?
Quietly, without telling anyone.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #2829
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Sorry how does the mayor leave town during the stampede? This is a major time for the city - to me this is messed up. Its like a public accounttant taking april off.
Is it illegal for accountants to take vacation in April? No it isn't.

And does Nenshi going away to a conference during Stampede - probably one organized well in advance and coincidental of the timing really matter to people? What, he's going to miss another pancake breakfast and a Yahoo photo op with a bunch of business folks and politicians?

Worry about the Green Line, worry about the business taxes, worry about the fracticious City Council. But for god sakes, people really don't have to worry about this. The City is still operating and we'd all be none the wiser and just fine if the media didn't get a hold of this minor, inconsequential conference date.

I can't believe the outrage. Seems manufactured at best and irritating at worst.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #2830
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
worry about the fracticious City Council. But for god sakes, people really don't have to worry about this.
I think this is the fracticious City Council though. Generally people don't go to media to complain when things are going well. Apparently, at least according to council asked, they've had the same conversation with Nenshi and Nenshi refuses the simple request.

If all it takes is a simple gesture to show your respect, in this case an email to the deputy mayor when you're leaving, but you refuse to do so, yeah things are not going to be great in that workplace.

And yet, we'll have to pay once again when they move that Respectful Workplace Workshop while Nenshi talks about how important respect and communication are.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #2831
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
If you had coworkers who sent out a simple request of knowing when you were out of the office during office hours, (especially if you're gone for a couple days) nothing more, and you refused to do so, you don't think you would be in the wrong? It takes 2 seconds to update a calendar.

This isn't a one-off. They've said they had repeated conversations with Nenshi, and Nenshi doesn't share their perspective. The working relationship is already deteriorated by all accounts in City Hall between council, and he will just straight up refuse a simple request? No wonder people don't get along.

I think that's a wrong that needs to be admitted.
How do you think they found out he was gone and where he was if nobody was told and even a calendar wasn’t updated?

Those dots don’t really connect, do they?

And who really cares how many conversations “they” have had with Nenshi? Again, if they need their hands held and need to be able to meet face to face with our Mayor at any given moment, they need to grow up a little bit. Otherwise, i’d like to think we pay them enough to handle themselves without our fearless leader telling each of them individually where he is at all times when there doesn’t appear to be a reason to.

He wasn’t even off the grid, he was working remotely. I don’t know about where you work, but I don’t need my co-workers letting me know every moment of their day. If we don’t have any meetings booked and they’re doing their job, they can do it from Japan for all I care.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #2832
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How do you think they found out he was gone and where he was if nobody was told and even a calendar wasn’t updated?

Those dots don’t really connect, do they?
Oh, so we're just assuming that Gondek is lying and she was informed Nenshi left?

Again, a simple email that's been requested multiple times (or at least some variation of communication). That's all it would have taken to stop this ridiculous embarrassing petty article. Here, it took me all of 10 seconds to draft, it will take him 2 seconds to fill out.

"Dear Councillor XXXX,

You will be assigned as the deputy mayor during the month of XXXX. I will be unavailable for in-person commitments on (dates). I will/will not have access to email during this time.

Thanks,
Mayor Naheed Nenshi"

What's the harm in doing that? It's obvious that not doing it the cons include annoying your fellow council, getting them to complain to media and attack you on twitter, but what's the reasoning for Nenshi to not send one? I can't see one.

I do think it's petty and I've wasted more time on it than I should have. At best Gondek should have posted in the WRGMG thread instead of contacting media, but the apparent refusal of Nenshi to just respectfully communicate when he's leaving town isn't some crazy request. And his, apparent, refusal to follow through with that request shouldn't be defended.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 07-11-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:31 PM   #2833
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, so we're just assuming that Gondek is lying and she was informed Nenshi left?
Just follow the timeline and figure it out.

Nenshi is gone Monday night to Wednesday morning/afternoon. We know he’s in Calgary on Sunday and on Wednesday night due to two speaking appearances at Stampede-related events, and is gone for 36 hours at some point in between.

Tuesday morning - Gondek finds out he’s gone
Later on Tuesday - The Stampede board makes an appearance request, which Gondek accepts
Tuesday night - Chu tweets that Nenshi is in Europe and that “most of us” (including Gondek) weren’t told
Wednesday 7:30 - Gondek makes her appearance
Wednesday 9:30 - Gondek attends a pre-scheduled meeting of her own.
Wednesday 1:30 - Gondek goes to the Rodeo

So, Chu himself says “most of us” didn’t know, so right there, we know Nenshi told people other than Chu and Gondek, and Chu is being his usual ignorant whiny self about it.

We know that the request from the Stampede came in after Gondek found out Nenshi was gone, so her decision to attend was based on the knowledge that she would have to move her schedule around to do it.

We know that Nenshi did not tell her because he was working remotely, meaning the Stampede appearance was solely her choice and hers alone, as there was nothing required of her as deputy mayor. We should also question whether it would have made a difference if Nenshi told her, being that there was nothing planned for her to take over.

We also know that the one thing it impacted was an early morning visit with her mom, but did not impact her schedule after 9:30, which included a pre-scheduled meeting, driving her daughter around, some “work,” and then the rodeo. So one hour out of her day was impacted, by her own will alone, period.

So was Gondek lying? Not really, but she put herself in this situation and felt the need to act like a martyr to the media because one hour of her day was affected. Who knows the reason why she wasn’t informed but other people seemed to know what was going on (aside from Chu, surprise surprise). Maybe if she was less focused on visiting family and driving her daughter around during such an important week, she could’ve read a schedule or magically figured out his location like others seemed to be able to.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 01:42 AM   #2834
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is our advanced road signage so much worse than many other major cities?

Memorial EB under Crowchild is dangerously, poorly marked.
Driving 50, under the bridge you’re given no notice to 2 lanes, contracting to one, THEN immediately ?yielding? Into the yielding traffic from Crowchild.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #2835
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, we can all relax now. I was at a stampede breakfast this morning and Nenshi was there. We survived potential disaster and the stampede continues.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #2836
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nenshi went to a two-day conference during Stampede?

Oh no, the horror... how will we survive
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #2837
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I haven't read the article yet. Was Nenshi paid to speak at the conference?
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #2838
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the perfect partisan thread (not to be confused with the one that literally attacks the councillors the OP doesn't like in the title haha).

Those how dislike Nenshi hate the move those who like Nenshi think its no big deal.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:41 PM   #2839
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

If Nenshi was here he probably would have saved the horses that died. Why wasn't Nenshi here!!??
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #2840
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
This is the perfect partisan thread (not to be confused with the one that literally attacks the councillors the OP doesn't like in the title haha).

Those how dislike Nenshi hate the move those who like Nenshi think its no big deal.
I dislike Nenshi and I think this discussion is overblown.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple