Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2019, 08:01 PM   #241
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

After hearing about the terms of the deal, The Kawhi situation is really starting to reek. The clippers completely mortgage the foreseeable future for 2 years of Kawhi and Paul George. All to satisfy Kawhi’s desires. Big gamble for a team that realistically could miss the playoffs. Then Kawhi most definitely will bolt for greener pastures. All the talk about Kawhi being the anti-star during the season sure didn’t stand the test of time. He’s entitled like the rest of them. He quit on the Spurs. He bailed on the Raptors after they gave him a championship and bent over backwards for him. The NBA has a real problem with this era of stars and that needs to be addressed.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #242
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
After hearing about the terms of the deal, The Kawhi situation is really starting to reek. The clippers completely mortgage the foreseeable future for 2 years of Kawhi and Paul George. All to satisfy Kawhi’s desires. Big gamble for a team that realistically could miss the playoffs. Then Kawhi most definitely will bolt for greener pastures. All the talk about Kawhi being the anti-star during the season sure didn’t stand the test of time. He’s entitled like the rest of them. He quit on the Spurs. He bailed on the Raptors after they gave him a championship and bent over backwards for him. The NBA has a real problem with this era of stars and that needs to be addressed.

You mean Kawhi gave the Raps a championship. He owes nobody nothing, as a free agent hes entitled to go wherever he likes.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:35 PM   #243
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Well, I refuse to look at the season in a negative light as this is what we've hoped we'd see in our lifetime, a championship.

The Kawhi thing feels weirder and less special as time goes on and will definitely make the festive feeling next season when he comes back feel a little less so. A few things stand out now that times has passed and you start to put things together.

1) Kawhi reportedly had moved his stuff from Toronto before the free agent week, I think a lot of people looked past that as we hoped and prayed he'd sign here

2) Looks more and more like not only did Toronto not have a chance but that he actually may have played that whole hoopla day in Toronto up in a shrewd tactic to force the Clippers to get who he wanted before he signed

That stings if true (and it certainly looks like it), but I guess you have to respect that he owed Toronto nothing and gave us a championship, and ultimately if you're signing in LA, it makes sense to force them into being a contender rather than the Clippers knowing you're signing and not going all in.

So yeah, we were likely a pawn in free agency week and that stings after everything the city and country gave him, like true adoration with murals and memories that will last a lifetime. And yes he looks different than the casual, quiet guy who didn't want any hoopla around him.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-10-2019 at 08:43 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #244
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

At the end of the day, though NBA players by and large don't want to play in Canada because it's foreign and cold and they want warm and being in the NBA spotlight, and NHL players don't want to play in Canada because it's cold and despite being home to so many they want out of the spotlight where NBA players want in it, lol.

So basically Canada will never be somewhere that attracts rich athletes and our sports will always mostly suck because of that. We're a place that attracts immigrants and born Canadians stay here because we focus on providing a country where the lower class can live with some dignity and move up and those that can't help themselves are helped, while immigrants come in, get jobs and live the life they could only dream of back home, and I'm comfortable and happy with that.

Rich athletes can go play in the entertainment capital of the world, a country set up as a playground for the rich and famous while everything crumbles around them. I don't see a reason to envy those "great" cities. There's a price for how fun it is down there, imo.

Last edited by jayswin; 07-10-2019 at 08:47 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #245
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I mean they made the playoffs and took two games from a fully healthy Warriors team at Oracle without Kawhi and Paul George, so no, it's not realistic for them to miss the playoffs. It would take a massive amount of injuries or a staggering fall off a cliff from multiple players. And as has been mentioned throughout the process, and was viewed as the realistic way the Raps could keep Kawhi (with the 1+1), getting to the 10 years of service opens up another level of max for Kawhi. And this is what player do now to pressure the front office to keep a team competitive. The Clippers are now compelled to keep a strong team together if they wanna keep Kawhi long term. LeBron started this with Cleveland, and it pretty much worked.

And the NBA has addressed this by allowing teams to spend way over the cap on their own guys and to pay guys they have Bird's rights on an extra year and a higher average. So short of directly intervening to stop super teams (good luck with that), things are what they are. And say what you will about Kawhi, but he gave up more than $50 million by forgoing the supermax with the Spurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Uhh, the same Clippers that had a representative at most of all the Raptors home games? The same Clippers who were fined for tampering during the season?

https://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...i-leonard.html
Public tampering by commenting on a player isn't quite negotiating a contract with a guy before he even becomes a free agent. It's hard to believe that wasn't the case with almost every FA contract signed within the first 24 hours.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-10-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:18 PM   #246
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's actually really easy to stop super teams. Just have no max. If a player then wants to be on a super team, he has to take less than market value.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #247
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kawhi gets LA out of his system, he and Giannis sign with Raptors in 2021. E4

#5DKawhiChess
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #248
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
It's actually really easy to stop super teams. Just have no max. If a player then wants to be on a super team, he has to take less than market value.
Actually if you want to stop super teams drop the individual player cap. If kawhi can only make 33 million a year he will go somewhere competitive. If the raps offered him 75 maybe he stays.

The San Antonio situation is a weird one. Somewhere the trust broke down and he looked out for his long term health. No fault there.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #249
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Yes the individual Max is way too low. There are some pretty mediocre players on Max contracts these days. Fixing that would go a long way to smoothing some of these issues.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #250
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

They could also change Bird's rights again so that teams can offer basically unlimited term. Yes one extra year is a lot of money. Four extra years, guaranteed, is a lot harder to walk away from.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #251
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
Yes the individual Max is way too low. There are some pretty mediocre players on Max contracts these days. Fixing that would go a long way to smoothing some of these issues.
Tobias Harris makes as much as kawhi. That's insane.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #252
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed to trade Russell Westbrook to the Houston Rockets for Chris Paul, first-round picks in 2024 and 2026, pick swaps in 2021 and 2025,

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #253
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1149481812017569792
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #254
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

God damn the NBA is gonna be good next season.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #255
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like the rarest of trades where both teams lose. I guess slight win for the Thunder since they get picks, but two abysmal contracts swapped for each other. Russ is certainly the better player, but the Rockets need shooting off Harden, not a guy who is one of the worst shooting guards in the league.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #256
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking the George trade was an anomaly but I guess now that drove up the price for skilled players. Houston looks good on paper but I really don't think Harden and Westbrook make anyone else better but themselves. In basketball that works but I'm not sure having two of those players on the same team is a good thing. Very odd how teams can completely mortgage their distant futures by dealing picks 8 years out, when their GM won't likely be around by then. It becomes someone else's mess to clean up by then. Anyway, crazy times in the NBA. The two LA teams look like the favorites at this point still.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:34 PM   #257
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Westbrook and Harden are gonna kill each other fighting over who gets to shoot the ball more
Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #258
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

man the NBA offseason is wild.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1149522249709285376
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 02:45 PM   #259
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
This seems like the rarest of trades where both teams lose. I guess slight win for the Thunder since they get picks, but two abysmal contracts swapped for each other. Russ is certainly the better player, but the Rockets need shooting off Harden, not a guy who is one of the worst shooting guards in the league.
I highly doubt Paul will be a Thunder by November. He can prob net them another 1st rounder.

I want the Raps to get Adams if OKC is doing a fire sale! and dump Gasol.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #260
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I highly doubt Paul will be a Thunder by November. He can prob net them another 1st rounder.

I want the Raps to get Adams if OKC is doing a fire sale! and dump Gasol.
From who lol. Who wants to pay Chris Paul $43 million in three years? He's maybe a buyout candidate but I doubt he gives up the green. They'd have to tack on a first rounder to dump him, though they certainly have enough of those coming up.