Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2020, 09:38 AM   #241
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You want to know what's pathetic? Posting here like you are some even keel fan in a forum of opposing fans while posting absolute nonsense like below on your own team forum trying to make Flames fans look bad.
I'll never understand the world of loserdom you have to live in when you have the time and energy to constantly troll opposing teams' message boards lol.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #242
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoverit View Post
The attraction was the actual dollars being traded as Lucic salary is mainly bonuses. Trade lingered until Oilers paid him. Anyone know the math of actual true $savings. Though i read around $19M ??
That’s another good point. This move is going to save Flames ownership quite a bit of money in actual dollars (not cap dollars). A large chunk of the contract has already been paid by the Oilers. Although this might not mean much to the fans, cause all we really care about is cap dollars, but I’m sure it bought some good will for Treliving with the ownership group. Maybe Treliving gets to invest those dollars in coaching or scouting,

On the other hand maybe in a year or two from now Looch decides enough is enough and he decides to hang them up? Meanwhile the Oilers are carrying dead cap space for a Neal buyout or handing Seattle a couple picks/prospects for the ‘favour’ of taking The real deal off their hands in the expansion draft.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:42 AM   #243
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
At what point do we start considering giving Mangiapane PP1 time? He has been playing very well. Ik it is very crowded on the first unit but perhaps somehting could be switched up to see if they can get some new chemistry or something.
The Flames have two powerplay units that are firing on all cylinders right now. That is every NHL team's dream-come-true. Don't change a thing.

I continue to believe that Mangiapane is a core player with tonnes of upside still untapped. He will get his #1PP opportunities at some point, but not today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #244
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It's a small sample size, but after the trade deadline, the Flames had the best power play in the league.

They had 12 PP opportunities in 7 games and scored 5 PPG, for a percentage of 41.7%. Edmonton was second at 35.3%.

They were also tied with Vegas for the fewest PP chances per game after the trade deadline. In the same time, Pittsburgh had 36 PPs in 8 games.
It’s hard to believe the Flames had a good PP when you watch the team.

What was encouraging last night was that there were some adjustments. They do the bump back to Gaudreau every time except Gaudreau tried a hard dump in instead for a fast board ricochet to I think it was Lindholm. Actually I don’t think the Flames even got possession but what it did was open things up for Gaudreau the next entry as the Jets had to start defending against the hard dump.

They need to make more little adjustments like that instead of the same old all the time.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:47 AM   #245
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
For a PGT after a big win this thread has a really high percentage of "unfortunate" posts.

Let's do better
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #246
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
It’s hard to believe the Flames had a good PP when you watch the team.

What was encouraging last night was that there were some adjustments. They do the bump back to Gaudreau every time except Gaudreau tried a hard dump in instead for a fast board ricochet to I think it was Lindholm. Actually I don’t think the Flames even got possession but what it did was open things up for Gaudreau the next entry as the Jets had to start defending against the hard dump.

They need to make more little adjustments like that instead of the same old all the time.
The bump back has never been the problem with the Flames PP IMO. It’s always been the lack of quick passes into and through the slot. Slow, deliberate passing around the perimeter is easier to defend. When the Flames in the past whipped it around they were very successful.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #247
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think Mangiapane has exceeded any of our expectations already. So glad his game has translated. Such a good value pick. Pro rates to a 20.5 goal season.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #248
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boring Sean Monahan at his finest.

Quote:
“I’m fine,” he said. “You obviously don’t want to go flying into the wall. At the end of the day, this is playoffs. You’re in the postseason and they took a penalty on the play and we capitalized.”
Old 08-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #249
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I love how the people who picked Winnipeg to win did so because they are bigger and stronger than the Flames but in Gaskal's ATL report every comment from their fans is about how soft they are and how much the "dirty" Flames are wreaking havoc on their players.

It's honestly nice to see so many fans hate the way the Flames play. I don't care if half the league thinks we're dirty it's better than being 10-ply pushovers.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #250
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
I love how the people who picked Winnipeg to win did so because they are bigger and stronger than the Flames but in Gaskal's ATL report every comment from their fans is about how soft they are and how much the "dirty" Flames are wreaking havoc on their players.

It's honestly nice to see so many fans hate the way the Flames play. I don't care if half the league thinks we're dirty it's better than being 10-ply pushovers.
This is a huge advantage that the Flames now have, and it really shines during the playoffs. I feel it was a big problem against Colorado last year.

Having Lucic, Rinaldo, Forbort, Bennett, and Tkachuk in today's NHL is a big plus. Finishing checks causes the opponent to cough up the puck and they also don't play as aggressively.
Bourque's Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #251
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I agree. Teams took liberties with Calgary in recent years. Now they seem to have some team toughness which, imo, was direly needed.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:16 AM   #252
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

even some of the smaller players punch above their weight. Mangipane and Dube may be samller players, but they don't play like it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #253
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, that ATL was salty. Do the Jets fan know this is a playoff hockey berth, after a pandemic break, en route to Stanley Cup? Did they forget that hockey during the playoffs is ALWAYS at another level and physical? Of course, I guess when Maurice is saying the things he says, they take it as gospel.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:21 AM   #254
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think Lucic had 19 million in owed dollars left on his contract when it was traded, but after paying the July 1 bonus it was 16 in actual dollars owed, less any retained salary. The Oilers retained 12.5% of the contract, but I'm not sure how the dollars on the retained salary work vs the cap hit since the bonus that the Oilers paid last year is worth more than 12.5% of the 19 million that was left on the deal if you were to look at it from the perspective of the whole season, or 16 million for the timeframe that the the Flames assumed.

Whereas Neal had 23 million remaining in salary obligations. So in terms of cash it could be anywhere from 7 to 10 million if both players were to play out the contracts. The Neal deal, is far more buyout friendly though as the last three years can be bought out for 11.5 ish million with a 6 year cap bogey of just under 2 million.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #255
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You know you can dislike a player and a trade used to acquire said player and still give that player kudos for his play? I still think Lucic is a massive weak link on the team. He's a terrible hockey player on an outrageous contract. I do appreciate the impact he is having on the ice, but it is also frustrating watching a player who can't skate, can't pass, and can't shoot worth a damn. I'd rather have someone else in his spot, but I do see that he is having a positive impact in one aspect of the game. It isn't worth $5M+.

I would prefer neither of them were on the team, and that has been my stance. You do what you have to mitigate mistakes, not compound them by taking on another mistake. Lucic will have to score the cup clinching goal for me to think this was a good trade, because that money pit makes improving the team in areas needed that much more difficult.
Fair enough.

At the end of the day, Treliving did what he could to turn an untenable situation into a positive and it looks as though it has worked. I have a hard time being critical of the GM here. Even going back as far as the Neal signing itself.

Factors outside Treliving’s control; Neal showing up out of shape, Peters putting Lindholm with JG and SM (the right call), Neal’s subsequent obstinate attitude. Did it blow up in Treliving’s hands? Yep, sure did. But part of being a GM is assuming risk. You have to be willing to stick your neck out there to improve the team, which I suspect is the mandate from ownership. Improve the team. Again, I have a hard time laying blame solely at Treliving’s feet. Is he, or has he, done things other ‘reasonable’ GMs would not have done? I think so. I would say he has done better than ‘reasonable’.

Lastly, fairly certain if you look through each teams depth chart you will find ‘boat anchors’ occupying bottom 6/bottom pairing roster spots. Or worse, the player is in the AHL. It’s kind of an outdated argument saying ‘player X makes too much money to be on your fourth line’. I don’t think you can single out one, or two, contracts and say ‘that’s why it’s broken’. a skillful GM should be able to navigate the highs and lows to create a whole that fits the organizational philosophy. To date; Treliving has done that.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:25 AM   #256
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Boring Sean Monahan at his finest.
Flames: "Oh yeah, I'm fine, this is the playoffs. They took a penalty and we capitalized."

Jets: "I don't want to call it attempted murder, but that's what it was. He tried to kill me. I'm pretty sure Tkachuk is the Zodiac and the NHL needs to look into it. Dirty, disgusting, repulsive. We couldn't capitalize on our powerplay because of fear of death, you see, it's not our fault!"
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #257
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
Women wear them almost exclusively, no? They've had to have found something that works...

I use dishsoap on my nerd glasses whenever I wear a mask. As long as the mask is tight on my nose, it seems to help.

P.S. FLAMES WIN!

What are nerd glasses?
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #258
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Neal Lucic trade was always about waiting until the spring (now summer) to evaluate it. Hands down Lucic has been a positive addition from what we saw last year in every measurable category and immeasurable intangible. if he continues to be a point per game player his salary or cap hit isn't exactly an anchor anymore.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:34 AM   #259
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
This one doesn't even look illegal in slow motion.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #260
cubistcastle
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
It makes sense that the two fanbases are not very self reflective and able to take an honest look from someone else's perspective. Those are two traits highly correlated with success, and we're talking about two places in Edmonton and Winnipeg that no one CHOOSES to live in or move too. Over time the people that aren't successful enough to get out multiply, and the people that can get out leave. The proportion of selfish, unaware and ignorant fans will be on the rise for generations in those two cities I'm afraid. Get used to it.
this is disgusting. ban?
cubistcastle is offline   Reply With Quote