Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2018, 01:22 AM   #81
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

My father, who was Italian, and looked he could have been of any sort of middle eastern/Indian decent routinely got pulled over by cops because he drove a decent vehicle, and there must be something wrong there. He told me that it was about every 2 months. Some times he'd get tickets, most of the time it was for nothing. 5 times I was in the car with him when he got pulled over on our street.

Yep, no racism.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:15 AM   #82
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Canada is just as bad as the U.S when it comes to racism. Just look at that thread on CP when a little boy died in Morley from influenza as an example. All the stereo types on one group is sad to read.

Last edited by Kybb79; 05-13-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:18 AM   #83
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's one for the "no #### sherlock" pile

https://twitter.com/user/status/995293945814028288

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #84
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
On the Boushie reaction,most of that sentiment was there’s one less criminal, st lest that’s how I looked at it. Race was irrelevant.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #85
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Im Jewish. I have encountered racism, but most of it didn't really matter. Usually just dumb comments about Jews. Had a guy fired once for hating Jews though.

One occasion that did matter was when I was physically attacked by someone that knew I was Jewish for being Jewish. Another time involved middle eastern men who literally ambushed us (in Calgary!) and fortunately several police on bikes appeared out of no where. Had encounters with Hezbollah before, here in Calgary, and they made it very clear violence was what they were after.

Jewish students on university campuses across North America have been under assault for years. It is only getting worse. What we have allowed on campuses is pathetic.

Jews in France and Germany (and basically the rest of Europe) are increasingly under threat of violence. Middle eastern anti-semitism is spreading with immigration and with useful idiots all around us.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/saudi-...-intel-report/

In general though, in my professional work environment, racism probably exists, but is very minimal. Let's not pretend either that racism only exists from white to other groups, there are all kinds of groups that don't like each other, from all parts of the world.

Unfortunately, for Jews, there does not appear to be any movement in the overall population that really cares that much. The left is no ally and the far right is no ally. Old anti-semitism is back and getting worse. You can see it everywhere.
Sadly, it is a real concern that isn't getting as much attention as it should.

After a massive refugee influx, Germany is confronting an imported anti-Semitism: A survey of victims of anti-Semitism commissioned last year by the German Parliament concluded that Muslims were most often identified as the perpetrators.
Quote:
Police statistics, for instance, show that about 90 percent of the anti-Semitic cases nationwide are believed to have been carried out by followers of the far right – traditionally the bastion of prejudice toward Jews in Germany.

But government officials and Jewish leaders doubt that figure, citing a default designation of “far right” when the perpetrator isn’t known. The government also has no reliable means of tracking anti-Semitism that falls below the level of the criminal – something Klein said he’s determined to change.

A survey of victims of anti-Semitism commissioned last year by the German Parliament concluded that Muslims were most often identified as the perpetrators. A separate study found comparatively high levels of anti-Semitic thinking among refugees with a Middle Eastern or North African background.
http://nationalpost.com/news/world/a...-anti-semitism
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #86
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I've had my share of people being prejudiced towards me. I don't believe in "races" (it's extremely outmoded thinking), so I don't use the word "racist".

But man, so many white people ever HATE First Nations people. It sorta scares me.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #87
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
I don't doubt for a fact that there were racists who said horrible things about indigenous people after the Stanley/Boushie incident. I know there were, and it's horrible that there is still a small percentage of our population that thinks that way. That said, it's important that we accurately identify racism, and not just throw that word at people who are not racist, otherwise we're only further damaging relations and further dividing people.

A large portion of Saskatchewan people were labelled racists after Boushie's death, especially by the media. The implication was that it was the fact that he was Native, that so many people had little to no sympathy for him. Is that the truth? Or is the truth that Boushie's death was a consequence of the crimes he was committing, and the risks those crimes exposed himself to, and very few people have sympathy for that. What do you think, icecube?

In regards to the majority who support Gerald Stanley - do you think they would still support Stanley if Boushie had been white?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #88
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Stanley had been Native and killed a white kid who was steeling from a reserve there would not have been a huge gofundme to support his defense.

If the the kids in the vehicle were white a tweet from an elected official saying the only mistake was leaving witnesses would not have been sent.

I don't think it unreasonable to say that at a minimum most people in Saskachewan have an implicit bias against Natives.

Last edited by GGG; 05-13-2018 at 10:53 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #89
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Were the majority of Stanley's supporters racist?

That's what I want answered.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #90
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post

A significant number surely are racist. Who knows how many? That's impossible to answer.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #91
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Racism against indigenous people in Canada runs deeply through our culture. This seems to be more prevalent in Saskatchewan, for sure.

It’s not hard to see this racial bias appear in any event where indigenous people are involved. Would the reaction have been different if Boushie was white? Absolutely. How different? It’s impossible to say, because it’s impossible to gauge how deeply racial bias against indigenous impacts decisions and reactions. Does it change reactions entirely? Or just add a little force to whatever direction they would’ve leaned anyway?

Hard to say. But yeah, if the question is: Were the majority of Stanley’s supporters racist?
The answer is: impossible to say.

If the question is: Was the reaction on both sides no doubt influenced by racial bias against indigenous people (to an unknown degree)?
The answer is: Undisputedly yes.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 12:00 PM   #92
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Would the reaction have been different if Boushie was white? Absolutely. How different? It’s impossible to say, because it’s impossible to gauge how deeply racial bias against indigenous impacts decisions and reactions.
It is impossible to say, I agree. It didn't seem to change things much though when a rancher from Okotoks, Edouard Maurice, in February shot Ryan Watson while he and his girlfriend were trespassing and stealing.

There wasn't much, if any, sympathy for Watson either.

Quote:
As for his injury, Minue and Reimers had little sympathy for the accused.

“Poor muffin got shot in the arm stealing somebody’s stuff?” Minue said. “Just too bad.”
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ed-in-shooting

Now obviously, Watson never died. Does the reaction change if the bullet kills him instead of hitting his arm? Maybe, or maybe not. Personally, I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
But yeah, if the question is: Were the majority of Stanley’s supporters racist?
The answer is: impossible to say.
Referencing the above case again - when Maurice faced charges of aggravated assault and careless use of a firearm after he shot Ryan Watson, there was a FundRazr started for Maurice that reached $40k.

https://fundrazr.com/b1KjM0?ref=ab_1...LgC1rbK3eSuLgC

Now what would it have reached if this case not only received national exposure, but if our federal government tried to influence the courts into incarcerating Maurice? I think it's a safe assumption that it would have gone much higher.

Point I'm making is, there is little sympathy for criminals, regardless of race. Colten Bushie did not get shot because he was indigenous, like icecube claimed. He was shot because he was committing a crime on private property, and had the property owner fearing for his families well-being.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #93
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another question is would the result of the trial have been different had Bouchie been white. I doubt it but we won't ever know for sure. And a second question is was justice served. There are plenty of states in the union where the only trial here would have involved Bouchie's friends and how long without parole their life sentences for capital murder would be. So I think the outcome was about right. Racist?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:36 PM   #94
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This incident really pissed me off because it hits so close to home with it being in Canada and getting the coverage in the media that it got. The racist lady explained that she's "not like that normally" and she isn't a racist and hasn't said those kinds of things before.

Okay racist lady lol.

Personally, I've experienced racism before more than a few times (I'm Asian) with one of my most memorable experiences hearing things from my ex-gf's parents (she was white). "Your English is very good, no accent at all!" and "No, like where are you ACTUALLY from?" in response to my first answer, which was "Calgary".

It's really unfortunate that I won't ever be seen as a Canadian by some people simply because I'm not white (just as the lady in the Cranbrook video said to those guys), even though I was born in small town Alberta and have lived my entire life in Canada.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #95
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't doubt for a fact that there were racists who said horrible things about indigenous people after the Stanley/Boushie incident. I know there were, and it's horrible that there is still a small percentage of our population that thinks that way. That said, it's important that we accurately identify racism, and not just throw that word at people who are not racist, otherwise we're only further damaging relations and further dividing people.

A large portion of Saskatchewan people were labelled racists after Boushie's death, especially by the media. The implication was that it was the fact that he was Native, that so many people had little to no sympathy for him. Is that the truth? Or is the truth that Boushie's death was a consequence of the crimes he was committing, and the risks those crimes exposed himself to, and very few people have sympathy for that. What do you think, icecube?

In regards to the majority who support Gerald Stanley - do you think they would still support Stanley if Boushie had been white?
Yes I do

No diff then that young man that shot that meth head who was trying to steal his property outside of calgary. It has to do with defending your home
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #96
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

WHITE FRAGILITY: WHY IT’S SO HARD TO TALK TO WHITE PEOPLE ABOUT RACISM

https://compact.org/resource-posts/w...-about-racism/

Quote:
The following are examples of the kinds of challenges that trigger racial stress for white people:
  • Suggesting that a white person’s viewpoint comes from a racialized frame of reference (challenge to objectivity);
  • Receiving feedback that one’s behavior had a racist impact (challenge to white racial innocence);
  • Suggesting that group membership is significant (challenge to individualism);
  • An acknowledgment that access is unequal between racial groups (challenge to meritocracy);
Quote:
Not often encountering these challenges, we withdraw, defend, cry, argue, minimize, ignore, and in other ways push back to regain our racial position and equilibrium. I term that push back white fragility.

This concept came out of my on-going experience leading discussions on race, racism, white privilege and white supremacy with primarily white audiences. It became clear over time that white people have extremely low thresholds for enduring any discomfort associated with challenges to our racial worldviews.

We can manage the first round of challenge by ending the discussion through platitudes—usually something that starts with “People just need to,” or “Race doesn’t really have any meaning to me,” or “Everybody’s racist.” Scratch any further on that surface, however, and we fall apart.

Socialized into a deeply internalized sense of superiority and entitlement that we are either not consciously aware of or can never admit to ourselves, we become highly fragile in conversations about race. We experience a challenge to our racial worldview as a challenge to our very identities as good, moral people. It also challenges our sense of rightful place in the hierarchy. Thus, we perceive any attempt to connect us to the system of racism as a very unsettling and unfair moral offense.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #97
meritmat
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

No

Most of his support were rural people. It came down to supporting somebody who’s only crime was defending his home from a group of armed criminals
meritmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #98
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
WHITE FRAGILITY: WHY IT’S SO HARD TO TALK TO WHITE PEOPLE ABOUT RACISM

https://compact.org/resource-posts/w...-about-racism/
I hope you've posted this ironically or as an example of racism... Otherwise you may have just outed yourself.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #99
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wow, I can't believe an entire group of people would take exception to their character being impugned on the basis of racial identity. That's outrageous. Better put the entire writing team at "compact.org" on the case to get to the bottom of this pickle.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #100
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
I hope you've posted this ironically or as an example of racism... Otherwise you may have just outed yourself.
You're already a lost cause my friend.