Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
tanguay'sstillgood
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default VERY low laptop volume (Toshiba Satellite)

So here's my problem. I have a Toshiba Satellite A110 and the volume is terribly low in every application I use (Quicktime, Media Player, Real Player, etc.). I have had the computer for a couple years and have just lived with it, but I can't hear anything if there is other noise in the room (a fan, for example). I have turned up the volume everywhere I can find on the computer, and have searched the internet a bit to find a lot of people with similar problems, but no solution. So, it might be a shot in the dark here, but does anybody know of a way to fix this? Is there perhaps something I can download that bumps up the volume?

Anybody else with a Toshiba had this problem and been able to fix it?

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!
tanguay'sstillgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry man, no idea. It's tricky with laptops as every volume control should be linked to the systems master volume slider unlike a desktop where you can conrtrol volume through the O/S as well as the external speakers.

Maybe it's an inherent problem with that model.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is this volume still really low when you put in speakers/headphones?
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\ Clever, another thing to try out.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
tanguay'sstillgood
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Is this volume still really low when you put in speakers/headphones?
Yes, it is. If I have it hooked up to speakers with a powered sub, then I can get it loud enough. Unfortunately, this ssolution only works for two rooms in the house. Headphones are OK depending on what type they are. If they are earbuds, then it works, but if they are the old school type that go outside your ears then it's still really quiet.

Deoxyribonucleic Acid, for example... sounds impressive, right? But have you ever seen what happens if you put something in acid? It dissolves! If we had all this acid in our cells, we'd all dissolve! So much for the Theory of Evolution, Check MATE!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Reinstall the sound drivers?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
tanguay'sstillgood
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Reinstall the sound drivers?
Just gave that a try...no difference.

I think I am just screwed with this computer.