Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Jake Boltman 0 0%
Daniil Chechelev 9 3.88%
Lucas Feuk 0 0%
Ryan Francis 0 0%
Pavel Karnaukhov 1 0.43%
Rory Kerins 0 0%
Johannes Kinnvall 39 16.81%
Justin Kirkland 0 0%
Demetrios Koumontzis 2 0.86%
Yan Kuznetsov 47 20.26%
Carl-Johan Lerby 0 0%
Mitchell Mattson 0 0%
Illya Nikolayev 5 2.16%
Josh Nodler 0 0%
Tyler Parsons 10 4.31%
Luke Philp 0 0%
Jeremie Poirier 88 37.93%
Colton Poolman 1 0.43%
Martin Pospisil 1 0.43%
Rushan Rafikov 0 0%
Adam Ruzicka 16 6.90%
Illay Solovyov 0 0%
Filip Sveningsson 0 0%
Eetu Tuulola 1 0.43%
Alexander Yelesin 7 3.02%
Artyom Zagidulin 5 2.16%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2020 - Round 10

It's time for the 8th annual Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking, but at a different time of year and certainly at a different time.

First a look back at previous years can be done with this handy link: Previous Results

Once again vote how you want. There are those that vote 100% on potential, some that vote 100% on the likelihood to see an NHL rink, others that apply a mix, some using the value in a trade. Completely up to you.

I'll run one a day until we are done, and then FlamesAddiction wants to do a one off list version to compare the results.

We start with 35 names so this should get us pretty close to a Flames camp.

2020 Results
1. Valimaki - 85%
2. Zary - 62%
3. Pelletier - 74%
4. Wolf (Run Off)
5. Mackey (Run Off)
6. Pettersen 42%
7. Phillips 36%
8. Gawdin 28%
9. Zavgorodniy 34%
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #2
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey Bingo just wanted to thank you for running this again this year.
I have not voted in any of the rounds, but do not take that for a lack of interest.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #3
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poirier, then Kinnvall for me.

Looking at the present state of the list, Mackey is the one guy who looks like he was voted in too high.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Looking at the present state of the list, Mackey is the one guy who looks like he was voted in too high.
Button had Mackey at 3/4 I think after the draft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #5
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kuznetsov for me...
I seem to remember Kylington getting more votes than Rasmus after being drafted due to Kylington's draft hype...we all know who of the two is more valuable.

Same thing with Poirier...I will trust our scouts that Kuznetsov is the superior prospect in the long run.

Poirier, Kinnvall, Chechelev, Francis, Nikolayev, Parsons are the next tier for me. Not sure how to rank them.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Kuznetsov for me...
I seem to remember Kylington getting more votes than Rasmus after being drafted due to Kylington's draft hype...we all know who of the two is more valuable.

Same thing with Poirier...I will trust our scouts that Kuznetsov is the superior prospect in the long run.

Poirier, Kinnvall, Chechelev, Francis, Nikolayev, Parsons are the next tier for me. Not sure how to rank them.
I would do it just like you have them listed, but I would rank Kinnvall ahead of Poirier at this point in their careers. Kinnvall seems to be the real deal. The SHL is a pretty solid league to show that level of production. Roughly 27 point defenseman based on NHLe (unless I did it wrong).

Last edited by Cali Panthers Fan; 10-28-2020 at 07:51 AM.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #7
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Kuznetsov is a big dude, with a long reach that plays a simple game. He could be a guy that plays for a long time but it sounds like he will be a low-ceiling player.

Poirier is a creative force on the ice that makes things happen. He has his warts but his ceiling is very high. Poirier gets my vote. Again.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I went Poirier.

Why? You can teach defense, and the kid didn't seem to have an attitude problem at all in any of his meetings.

Unfair comparison but the situation reminds me so much of Al MacInnis joining the Flames. Big shot and no clue defensively.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #9
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coin toss between Kuznetzov and Poirier. Went the former, but really it was 50/50.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #10
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Yanni time
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Button had Mackey at 3/4 I think after the draft.
Yeah if you look at his list here are the big differences that struck me (I added +1 to his rankings since he didn't have Valimaki as a prospect).

Kuznetzov - 6th
Ruzicka - 8th
Pettersen - 10th

I do agree with him on Pettersen. Don't know enough about the others to have a strong opinion.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I went Poirier.

Why? You can teach defense, and the kid didn't seem to have an attitude problem at all in any of his meetings.

Unfair comparison but the situation reminds me so much of Al MacInnis joining the Flames. Big shot and no clue defensively.
I also recall that MacInnis used to often fall down when skating backwards, leading to breakaways. His big slapper was often very high too. I’m sure Eddie Beers still ducks in his sleep as he was often stationed in front of the opposition net. Big Al worked on his game and his skating and look at what he became.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

woops - made a mistake
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #14
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

been voting Poirier for a while, hopefully this is the last time

then it's parsons and Kusnetsov
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #15
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kuznetsov seems like a kid who is developing extremely well. You can't teach size either.

He doesn't seem to have any major flaws, was the youngest player in the NCAA, and was already shutting down opposing players and still producing offence in the toughest division in NCAA.

There are a lot of strengths about this kid, with basically no red flags at all (other than the NCAA loophole). I bet he continues to improve his production every season too. I really like this pick.

Parsons is next after him for me. Yes, he has had a tough time with injuries/mental health issues (stemming from injuries), but one only has to look at his record in big games, and then look at how badly his team was out-shot but still won because of him. He is a "Money goalie". I still have him ranked higher than Wolf personally, as I do think what he has CONSISTENTLY done in big games is just awesome. Really looking forward to seeing him develop. If he can remain healthy, I think people are going to start loving this prospect again.

I like Porier as a prospect, and I do like that the Flames took him where they did. He is really a boom-bust pick though. He is somewhere in my next few picks, but I believe both Kuznetsov and Parsons are ahead of him. I just think Kuznetsov could be that type of D that really controls the game out there when he is on the ice.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #16
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also was choosing between Kuznetsov and Poirier. Poirier has a higher ceiling IMO, so ended up voting for him.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still picking Kinnvall. Someone said previously that he isn't much of a prospect since he's 23. But Gawdin is slightly older. I'm with Loob....

"Kinnvall, still only 22, is a fascinating addition for the Flames.

The right-handed rearguard was the leading point-producer this winter for HV71 Jonkoping, notching 11 goals and 29 assists in 51 games.

Across the SHL, only one defenceman racked up more points in the truncated season.

Calgary’s top scout in Europe knows plenty about putting pucks in the net, and Hakan Loob figures Kinnvall’s talents will translate.

“I think he has very good potential to become a really good player — and I’m talking about the NHL level — sooner than later,” said Loob, who helped the Flames raise a Stanley Cup banner in 1989 before returning to his native Sweden. “I’m very hopeful. I was really happy when Brad (Treliving) called me and said we signed him. A right-handed shot, good on the power-play, scoring points like he’s done the last two years . . . You don’t find too many free agents like that."
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #18
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yelesin, Kinnvall, Poirier, Kuznetsov make up a group of players that round out the 3rd tier of prospects, which started around rank 4. The 3rd tier I would call a good chance at making the NHL if everything works out.

IMO Tuulola, Nikolayev, Ruzicka, Boltman, Parsons, Zagidulin, and Pospisil comprise the 4th tier. Which I would title a long shot, but anything could happen.

the 5th tier would be players with a slim chance, or aren't really on the radar yet.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #19
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still a few decent players that will be outside the top 10.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #20
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Gawdin
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post: