Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon30 UPD: Allegations against Dale Tallon were not substantiated by outside investigation

https://apnews.com/43da30e44b2f45c1e4071462a7f15baa

Quote:
The NHL is investigating whether former Florida Panthers general manager Dale Tallon made racially insensitive comments during the team’s two-week stay in the playoff hub city of Toronto.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the investigation to The Associated Press on Friday. In an email, Daly did not provide any details of the allegations, which were first reported by FloridaHockeyNow.com.

The publication cited a unidentified person in reporting Tallon used “racially charged language” during the Panthers’ time in the Eastern Conference’s playoff hub. After 10 years with the Panthers, Tallon was let go Aug. 10 after Florida was eliminated by the New York Islanders.

The NHL’s investigation began more than a week ago and is looking into multiple instances of Tallon making racially insensitive comments, a person with direct knowledge of the situation told The AP on the condition of anonymity because the investigation is ongoing.

The investigation comes as the NHL postponed two days of playoff games to focus awareness on racial injustice issues.

The Panthers did not respond to a message seeking comment. Tallon could not be reached.
The story on floridahockeynow.com does not have what Tallon was alleged to say nor does it know the setting.

https://floridahockeynow.com/nhl-inv...cial-language/

News Update

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/14483
Quote:
The National Hockey League announced today that the anonymous report it received that Dale Tallon made inappropriate racial, religious, and ethnic comments while serving as General Manager of the Florida Panthers has been fully investigated and was not substantiated.

The anonymous report alleged that Tallon, then-General Manager of the Panthers, had used racially derogatory language while the team was in the Toronto Secure Zone during the first week of August, and had in the past made openly racial, religious, and ethnic comments.

The same day it received the anonymous report about Tallon, the NHL retained Seyfarth Shaw LLP to conduct a full, confidential investigation. Among other steps, Seyfarth interviewed over a dozen individuals in the Panthers’ organization, and reviewed all information made available from representatives of the source through which the anonymous report was made.

The allegations were neither corroborated nor substantiated, and are inconsistent with Tallon’s past actions and his affirmative efforts in support of diversity and inclusion initiatives. As a result, based on the investigation, the NHL has further concluded that there has been no established violation of NHL policy or protocols.

The NHL will have no further comment on this matter.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-29-2020 at 11:07 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

This explains how quickly rumors surfaced that Panthers were moving on from Tallon.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Tallon says he believes the allegations stem from his alleged response to Dumba's speech, but says he does not recall saying anything racist.

https://floridahockeynow.com/exclusi...cist-language/

Quote:
According to Tallon, he believes the incident in question stems around the emotional speech Minnesota Wild defenseman Matt Dumba gave on racial inequalities on Aug. 1.
Quote:
Tallon said if anything racial was said by him: “I don’t recall it. I don’t remember it. I don’t ever use the word. They said I said something after Dumba’s speech and I don’t remember even seeing Dumba’s speech.

“I didn’t know Dumba was Black; I have only ever seen him as a hockey player. I did not know he was of color. That’s all I can say. I need to find out what is going on.”

Tallon did continue, saying any accusation against him is “not who I am.”

“This is not me,” Tallon said. “I don’t understand this, I don’t ever do these kinds of things. I don’t know what happened. I am kind of puzzled by all of this.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could just be someone hearing something wrong or taking something out of context, depending on what was "said"

Misunderstandings like that happen all the time and society is on edge as it is. One of my best friends works for the government and just had an investigation done on him because he used the phrase "chink in the armor" and someone only heard the first part and made a complaint. It was dismissed but still sucked for him to go through and he hadn't said anything wrong.

Tallon saying that he has no clue about this and the fact that no one else has said anything has me leaning more to believing him.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #5
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
This could just be someone hearing something wrong or taking something out of context, depending on what was "said"

Misunderstandings like that happen all the time and society is on edge as it is. One of my best friends works for the government and just had an investigation done on him because he used the phrase "chink in the armor" and someone only heard the first part and made a complaint. It was dismissed but still sucked for him to go through and he hadn't said anything wrong.

Tallon saying that he has no clue about this and the fact that no one else has said anything has me leaning more to believing him.

Stuff like this is dangerous. Are we expecting absolutely perfection from people? If your best friend has worked in the company for a long time then people already know how he is.

Let's do an experiment. If a white guy at my work (you can do this yourself) raises his right arm, reaches his left arm around the front of his body to scratch his right side, and I see this from behind. Am I going to accuse him of doing the nazi salute? If I've worked with the guy for years, I know who he is.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

My initial response is “I didn’t even know Matt Dumba was black” Might be the wrong way to play this.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #7
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prediction: he said "all lives matter" or complained about Dumba kneeling during the anthem
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #8
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not related, but may be noteworthy, he was the GM of the Blackhawks at the time of the Peters/Aliu incident.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:04 PM   #9
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Not related, but may be noteworthy, he was the GM of the Blackhawks at the time of the Peters/Aliu incident.
There was also an incident during that time involving Iginla where it was believed a Hawks player called him the N word.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
My initial response is “I didn’t even know Matt Dumba was black” Might be the wrong way to play this.
This is a very odd thing to say IMO.

However, I don't think Dumba is actually black. I believe he's half Filipino and is just an ally to the movement. I realize this isn't what's important here though, just clarifying the facts.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #11
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
My experience with people who say "I don't see colour" or something like it, they are just ignorant to their own racism.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Krovikan; 08-28-2020 at 05:05 PM.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 03:41 PM   #12
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

However, I don't think Dumba is actually black. I believe he's half Filipino and is just an ally to the movement. I realize this isn't what's important here though, just clarifying the facts.
Normally I would say this doesn't matter, but I actually think this is a reasonable excuse for what Tallon may have meant.

Either way, we don't know what he said, so probably best to avoid jumping to conclusions until we do.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #13
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
There was also an incident during that time involving Iginla where it was believed a Hawks player called him the N word.
I remember that. It was speculated to be Kane or Versteeg, but I don’t think it was ever proven. Seeing as how Versteeg was later signed by the Flames, it seems unlikely that it was him.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
My experience with people who say "I don't see colour" or something like it, is they are just ignorant to their own racism.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's a weird one. Every nationality has unique traits. When someone says that and means it literally, it definitely raises an eyebrow.

Now the article is also say there are multiple instances being investigated, which could mean where there's smoke there's fire. Who knows.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I remember that. It was speculated to be Kane or Versteeg, but I don’t think it was ever proven. Seeing as how Versteeg was later signed by the Flames, it seems unlikely that it was him.
I remember the next time they played in the regular season, Iggy squared off fairly with Brouwer and beat him down and then roughed him up some more, which was a little uncharacteristic if Iggy.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #16
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

HDA is about diversity in the sport, not just black people in the sport. Nadem Kadri is also part of the HDA. Being black or not isn't the key aspect of the HDA.

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-28-2020 at 05:58 PM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 06:18 PM   #17
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Society will quickly convict and hang him because that’s where we are.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #18
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I'm telling ya, it's a slippery slope.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #19
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Wood; 10-29-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #20
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
As I understand it, Tallon has already been dragged into the town square and been drawn and quartered. He wasn't even afforded a trial by combat!

... or the NHL is investigating the allegations.