Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2021, 10:25 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default 50 years ago

Jim Morrison died in Paris. The ultimate Shaman of Rock and Roll A genius intellect, a amazing song writer and unbelievable performer. The Doors to me were one of the leading bands of its era, with the unique keyboard circus stylings of Ray Manzarek, the heavy guitar work of Krieger and the powerful drumming of John Densmore, all behind the unbelievable voice of Morrison.

Morrisons song styling went from beautiful poetry like Riders on the storm to Touch me. To the strange and surreal like Break on Through. to the bizarre like the End (Father, I want to kill you, mother, yes son, I want to $$$$ you), and LA Woman.

There was always the conspiracy that Morrison's death was faked and he ended up as a cab driver in Mexico under the name of Mojo Risen (LA Woman). The stand had a creepy section where one of the characters was convinced that he had encountered Jim Morrison.

One of my favorite first bands growing up, and the book "No one gets out alive" was one of my favorite biographies growing up. When I tried to learn the bass guitar when I was 12, the first song I listened to and tried to play was "Roadhouse Blues"

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2021, 11:54 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I love this piano version of "Riders in the Storm" One of the best keyboard versions I have heard.

Quote:
"Riders on the Storm" is a song by The Doors from their 1971 album, L.A. Woman. According to band member Robby Krieger, it was inspired by the song (Ghost) Riders in the Sky
Old 07-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #3
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my mid-teens I started listening to my Dad's vinyl copies of the self-titled album and Morrison Hotel after seeing a documentary on Muchmusic called "The Doors in Europe". Then the Oliver Stone movie came out in '91, which pretty much solidified my obsession. Not long after that I went out and bought all the albums, bootlegs, videos, posters, and t-shirts I could find.

Even today they're still such a great and unique band, and Morrison was truly one of a kind.

Another good documentary that comes to mind:

Also, this one never gets old.

Last edited by direwolf; 07-04-2021 at 10:25 AM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #4
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just listened to an interesting podcast on Jim Morrison’s death. One theory is that he had a heart attack but drugs seem the likely culprit, possibly causing a heart attack. The Doors had some great music, with Riders on the Storm being my favourite.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote