Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #4041
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I know you guys are excited by his most recent showing but let's stop plugging Bennett in as the 2C before he's successfully played 3C for even a season. How many times have we done this.
The better question is when has Bennett been given the chance to play 2C? We can do it as speculation as many times as we want but if the coaching staff never even try it...
Old 10-30-2020, 06:56 PM   #4042
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Is this what you're proposing? I would like to see it, but I think many posters here will assume that the first line would get caved in physically.
Swap Gaudreau & Tkachuk.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #4043
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Agreed.

Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Dube - Monahan - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Bennett - Leivo
Whoa, what?? I surprisingly like this a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #4044
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Dube - Monahan - Lindholm
Man, I wish they had tried developing Dube as a centreman, despite his smaller stature. Imagine someone with his speed streaking through the middle as the C with those other two trailing.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #4045
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Man, I wish they had tried developing Dube as a centreman, despite his smaller stature. Imagine someone with his speed streaking through the middle as the C with those other two trailing.
Everyone knows you won't win anything relying on a small, speedy center to drive your offense.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:52 PM   #4046
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
its totally possible for them to do this while attacking in the offensive zone while Monahan takes the tougher d zone assignment and takes face offs, which he has become quite good at.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:07 PM   #4047
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
its totally possible for them to do this while attacking in the offensive zone while Monahan takes the tougher d zone assignment and takes face offs, which he has become quite good at.
I disagree.

The centre generates speed precisely because he has those defensive assignments. Those assignments will put him in a position to gain open ice and back off defenders as deep down as the defensive hash marks. It's what makes guys like Nathan MacKinnon and Brayden Point so damn dangerous IMO. On the flip side, if that player isn't handling those D zone assignments, he has far fewer options when his team does acquire the puck, and this is what limits Gaudreau on our own team.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-30-2020, 10:32 PM   #4048
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree.

The centre generates speed precisely because he has those defensive assignments. Those assignments will put him in a position to gain open ice and back off defenders as deep down as the defensive hash marks. It's what makes guys like Nathan MacKinnon and Brayden Point so damn dangerous IMO. On the flip side, if that player isn't handling those D zone assignments, he has far fewer options when his team does acquire the puck, and this is what limits Gaudreau on our own team.
I've been thinking this for a while. I also think it's why Monahan has been discussed as trade bait in the last little while over Johnny, and it's why Tre has been defending Johnny. Perhaps management believes that trading Mony, and getting faster at the C position will cure the problems on the top line. If we could get back a young C (like Cozens, although it's wishful thinking), I think Lindholm is perfectly capable of playing 1C until that young C is ready for top line duty.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2020, 10:33 PM   #4049
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree.

Could you elaborate on the bolded portion?
Old 10-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #4050
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He’s played only 70 games - I think they can still do it.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:47 PM   #4051
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Whoa, what?? I surprisingly like this a lot.
Sure, play our most dynamic offensive forward on the 3rd line? Look, Gaudreau had a bad year along with everyone on offense but to bury him on the 3rd line won't happen.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:45 PM   #4052
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Sure, play our most dynamic offensive forward on the 3rd line? Look, Gaudreau had a bad year along with everyone on offense but to bury him on the 3rd line won't happen.
And was 2nd in scoring a couple points off the team lead...I wish I could struggle like that
Old 10-31-2020, 03:47 AM   #4053
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think moving on from Bennett now, after all these years, when he's finally showing signs of living up to his draft ranking is a bad idea. Like if "playoff Bennett" is regular season Bennett under Geoff Ward, you have to see how that plays out, no?
But when he’s playing bad, people say you can’t possibly trade him because it’s selling low. So you shouldn’t trade a player when he’s playing well... or when he’s playing bad. When is a good time to trade a player?
Old 10-31-2020, 07:59 AM   #4054
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
It's not burying him, it's balancing the lines. However, Id prefer Dube to be the right wing with them. This allows you to roll 3 different lines at about the same 5on5 TOI without having a significant drop off. Backlund still takes the heavy defensive minutes and Johnny still gets all the power play time he can handle.

But it puts our team in a great position to have balanced scoring depth. Gaudreau would be good for Bennett and Dube but I think their game would be a great change of scenery for Gaudreau as well.

People really need to stop thinking so matter of factly when it comes to line combinations. There are ways to set up the lines that would make us have no "3rd line" but basically three equal lines, each one capable of having more minutes depending on who is firing on all cylinders that night.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 08:05 AM   #4055
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
But when he’s playing bad, people say you can’t possibly trade him because it’s selling low. So you shouldn’t trade a player when he’s playing well... or when he’s playing bad. When is a good time to trade a player?
When it's a player like Bennett who provides something few others on the team do (physicality), will be at worst a cheap but effective 3rd/4th line winger and who elevates his game to basically ppg levels in the playoffs, there is honestly no reason or good time to trade him.

What is the fascination with trading him, especially for something like a 2nd? He is literally our best playoff performer and people just want him gone because he isn't living up to being a 4th overall pick. so what? if he was actually a bust he'd be bouncing around the KHL like Yakupov. but he's not. He's an effective player who is a valuable asset in the most important time of the year. You don't trade those players.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 09:28 AM   #4056
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a fan of splitting the big 4 across three lines, as it messes with the PP (and post-PP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2020, 09:35 AM   #4057
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Not a fan of splitting the big 4 across three lines, as it messes with the PP (and post-PP).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point, which is why I'd love to see this tried:

Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Bennett - Dube
Mangiapane - Backlund - Leivo
Lucic - Ryan - Simon/Nordstrom

(I view this as essentially two 2nd lines one getting most of the offensive starts the other getting defensive starts with the 1st and 4th both capable of playing some harder minutes as well. I could also see Lindholm and Dube being swapped to get the speedier more natural puck carrier in Dube matched up with the slower Tkachuk and Monahan who might not be as adept at hitting the line with speed and gaining entries.)

Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Tanev
Giordano - Kylington (Gio and Vali can be switched, I'm just hyped for the kid and am expecting big things.)

PP1
Tkachuk
Lindholm - Monahan - Gaudreau
Valimaki

PP2
Mangiapane
Dube - Backlund - Bennett (Any order really I'd just like to see these 4 guys get power play time)
Andersson

With Hanifin as the fill in for either Dman

Last edited by BigErnSalute_16; 10-31-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:43 AM   #4058
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So....Gio is a 3rd pairing dman ( Norris winner 18 months ago) Sam Bennett is a 2nd line C (was on pace for fewer points than Rinaldo last season) and Valimaki is the PP QB on the 1st unit without ever proving he can play that role at this level?

OK then.
Old 10-31-2020, 09:44 AM   #4059
Fan69
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
Good point, which is why I'd love to see this tried:

Tkachuk - Monahan - Lindholm
Gaudreau - Bennett - Dube
Mangiapane - Backlund - Leivo
Lucic - Ryan - Simon/Nordstrom

(I view this as essentially two 2nd lines one getting most of the offensive starts the other getting defensive starts with the 1st and 4th both capable of playing some harder minutes as well. I could also see Lindholm and Dube being swapped to get the speedier more natural puck carrier in Dube matched up with the slower Tkachuk and Monahan who might not be as adept at hitting the line with speed and gaining entries.)

Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Tanev
Giordano - Kylington (Gio and Vali can be switched, I'm just hyped for the kid and am expecting big things.)

PP1
Tkachuk
Lindholm - Monahan - Gaudreau
Valimaki

PP2
Mangiapane
Dube - Backlund - Bennett (Any order really I'd just like to see these 4 guys get power play time)
Andersson

With Hanifin as the fill in for either Dman

Like your idea on the line up but I would switch out leivo and Dube myself. For one to see what exactly we have in leivo, but secondly I love the idea of putting Backs in between Dube and Mangi and I see it as a perfect mentoring situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2020, 09:48 AM   #4060
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really believe Lindy is going to take over center duties and run a line; shift Mony to the left side and let him take his strong side draws much like they have done with Lindy on the RW.

Monahan - Lindholm - Tkachuk — Scoring line 1
Gaudreau - Bennett - Dube — Scoring line 2
Mangiapane - Backlund - Leivo — Shutdown line
Lucic - Ryan - Simon — Energy line
Nordstrom

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Tanev
Valimaki - Nesterov
Kylington

Markstrom
Rittich
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post: