Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #21
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back to Calgary. Played 3 rounds at Buffalo Hill, Meadow Lake, and Whitefish Lakes (south course).

There is no doubt about it- Whitefish Lakes is hands down the best course in the Kalispell region. Although Buffalo Hill and Meadow Lake are decent courses, Whitefish Lakes is top notch- amazing scenery, excellent conditions, very good prices, and a great clubhouse restaurant. Not to mention they have two courses.

Crazy to think membership is only $500 a year... From a value perspective, it would be like giving membership to Kananaskis for only 500.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 05-23-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:42 AM   #22
Montagna
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Whitefish Lake is awesome. Which one do you prefer? North or South?
Montagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
ShotDownInFlames12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

WHen did you golf Buffalo Hill? Our golf rep told us they've had flooding issues on the back 9 with 16 being completely underwater. They switched our tee time from there to Eagle Bend for the same price.
ShotDownInFlames12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #24
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotDownInFlames12 View Post
WHen did you golf Buffalo Hill? Our golf rep told us they've had flooding issues on the back 9 with 16 being completely underwater. They switched our tee time from there to Eagle Bend for the same price.
Ya, the valley holes on both the front and back 9 had some water issues, but nothing bad enough to shut the holes down. One of the cart paths along the creek had weathered away from the water level, but it was all permanent greens and tee boxes.

The par 3 16th is the last hole in the valley area, but it seemed fine- in fact it was my best shot of the day. 160yd shot and I stuck an 8 iron to within 5 feet for an easy birdie. I wonder if it is the par 4 15th that you are referring to, as it had quite a bit of water. Once again, not all that bad, and we got a reduced green fee because of it.

All that said, they might have some serious issues in the coming weeks when the snow in the mountains really starts to melt- I am sure the course will be closing some holes then... Not to mention the mosquitos will be unbearable in a month or so- which is actually why we don't play whitefish lakes too much in the thick of mosquito season.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #25
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montagna View Post
Whitefish Lake is awesome. Which one do you prefer? North or South?
Hmmm, I think most people prefer the north because it has fewer hazards (including houses), but I enjoy the south course. 6500 is a tad short for the back tees, but it really has some amazing holes... Number 8 and 10 on the south are two of my favorite holes anywhere. Great views.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Montana is for fly-fishing.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #27
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just thinking about playing the south course at whitefish - two groups behind us was some guys in a golf cart with a ghetto blaster hooked up - it was almost like a scene from caddy shack.......funny thing was that the Marshall drove by them several times I finally had to ask him to do something about the music.

Who brings a blaster to golf?
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #28
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a bump, I will be in Montana in mid August - any other recommendations about golf etc? Thanks.

Anywhere in Montana is fine for us as we are taking the really long way from Calgary to Moose Jaw
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #29
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played the North Course at Whitefish last weekend and it was in great shape.

Also played Buffalo Hill based on recommendations in this thread and really enjoyed it as well.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #30
Leapfrog
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thought I would bump this thread rather than make a new one....

Thinking of heading to MT for a 5 day golf trip. This thread offers lots of good advice. I am curious to know more about Old Works Golf Club. Is it worth the drive from the Kalispell area?

We will most likely hit the other courses mentioned: Whitefish Lake, Buffalo Hills, Eagle Bend etc.

Also... any lodging recommendations in Whitefish or Kalispell area (or Anaconda) would be appreciated too!
Leapfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #31
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I was just thinking about playing the south course at whitefish - two groups behind us was some guys in a golf cart with a ghetto blaster hooked up - it was almost like a scene from caddy shack.......funny thing was that the Marshall drove by them several times I finally had to ask him to do something about the music.

Who brings a blaster to golf?

You know, I've seen this a couple of times, one group was right behind us so we had it teeing off, it didn't really bug me though.. It is a bit strange, but as long as it isn't stupid loud I have no probs... would be better for them to ask though.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #32
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The wilderness club near eureka is the best course in Montana. After that go to whitefish and play whitefish lake.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2012, 05:42 PM   #33
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapfrog View Post
Thought I would bump this thread rather than make a new one....

Thinking of heading to MT for a 5 day golf trip. This thread offers lots of good advice. I am curious to know more about Old Works Golf Club. Is it worth the drive from the Kalispell area?

We will most likely hit the other courses mentioned: Whitefish Lake, Buffalo Hills, Eagle Bend etc.

Also... any lodging recommendations in Whitefish or Kalispell area (or Anaconda) would be appreciated too!
i have never golf old works - but the pictures look fantastic, and the green fees at around $60 are disgusting (assuming the pictures are legit).
According to what i read it is a 4 hour drive from kalispell to anaconda - so you are looking at a total of 8 extra hour sof driving to play this course - seems like a lot to me, but i now need to find a reason to go to anaconda.

we rented a condo in whiefish, it was pretty large and relatively clean and it had a hot tub - found the place on VRBO - it was on wisconsin Street
Old 07-30-2012, 06:09 PM   #34
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya, wilderness club is a bit out of the way, but might be the best course I have ever played. A good course to play on the way there or way back.

Otherwise, every course in the Kalispell area is good.

Whitefish lakes and Eagle Bend are probably the best in the Kalispell area, but Buffalo Hill has the best greens in my experience. I like Meadow Lake less and less every time I play there, but still a good course.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 07-30-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #35
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I like Meadow Lake less and less every time I play there, but still a good course.
Yeah our annual guys golf trip isn't playing Meadow Lake anymore... I really have never liked the course.

And some of the houses are so ridiculously close to the holes it's absurd.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #36
Jiggyiggy
Draft Pick

We have also dropped Meadow Lake from our trip. Some really nice holes but also some that kind of ruin it, plus its a little pricier than some of the other courses in the area.

Not many people have mentioned Big Mountain Golf Club (between Whitefish and Kalispell). It has been a big hit on our trips and if you do a twilight time it is very reasonable and usually empty at that time.
Jiggyiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #37
Jiggyiggy
Draft Pick

Oh, and the Wilderness Club is amazing. If you can play it on the way down to Montana on a weekday (save some $$$) it is worth it. Also they sell GC's at Costco for it where you save some money also.

A must play for sure
Jiggyiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #38
Leapfrog
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I just tried to book at Wilderness for Wed/Thurs of next week. They are punching their greens on Tuesday. Looks like I will play that next time!
Leapfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #39
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

Bump.

A group of 8 of us are heading down to Whitefish this summer for 4 nights in July.

The plan is to play Paradise Canyon on the way out.
Monday : Whitefish North course.
Tuesday: Buffalo Hill
Wednesday: Big Mountain
Thursday: Wilderness Club on the way back.

I have only played Paradise Canyon, are there any courses you would swap out in this list, this is just a rough list based on information in this thread.
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM   #40
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not try and slip in a round at Whitefish South since you are already there.