Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #2001
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I think it’s more than just competing with hockey in May/June. Right or wrong there are American sports they don’t want to compete with. Plus holidays. There was a good breakdown on CP of why some dates don’t work a while ago. Not sure if it was just guessing or came from the league/commish.

They don’t want the Grey cup to ever fall on remembrance day, so that rules out 2nd weekend in November. They want to avoid Halloween so that rules out late Oct. They don’t want it on Canadian thanksgiving, that rules out 2nd weekend in October. They don’t want to compete with the World Series, that rules out most of mid-late October. They don’t want to compete with NHL season opener, that rules out early Oct.

Late November is a nice dead zone for sports. NHL is well underway, NCAAF isn’t much competition because it’s on Saturday. Baseball is done. NFL is about it.

It’s stupid and it’s wrong and they shouldn’t be afraid to compete with anyone but it’s the way it is.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #2002
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I can't see how Halloween stacks up at all against the other dates you listed. Don't do it on Oct 31 specifically, and you're fine. That leaves lots of the rest of the end of October to use.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #2003
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #2004
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers and Law would be big misses if they can't go. Good to see LBs and DBs alll out there.

Huff and Myala will need to be at top of their game if Rogers can't go (they'll be double teaming Reggie).
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:27 AM   #2005
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Games a toss up for Sunday if this weather holds up. I just feel like coaching will pull the Stamps across the finish line, though.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #2006
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the weather, the latest forecast I saw is an improvement from earlier in the week and doesn't seem to be all that bad (-9 with light winds), if the wind remains calm, it should be a decent day for football.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #2007
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I received a free parking pass for Sundays game and never used one before to tailgate. How early could I set up there Sunday? How do I avoid stealing someones tailgating real estate that uses it all the time. I don't want to step on any toes of some of the hard core fans that tailgate there every game.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #2008
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #2009
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I think it’s more than just competing with hockey in May/June. Right or wrong there are American sports they don’t want to compete with. Plus holidays. There was a good breakdown on CP of why some dates don’t work a while ago. Not sure if it was just guessing or came from the league/commish.

They don’t want the Grey cup to ever fall on remembrance day, so that rules out 2nd weekend in November. They want to avoid Halloween so that rules out late Oct. They don’t want it on Canadian thanksgiving, that rules out 2nd weekend in October. They don’t want to compete with the World Series, that rules out most of mid-late October. They don’t want to compete with NHL season opener, that rules out early Oct.

Late November is a nice dead zone for sports. NHL is well underway, NCAAF isn’t much competition because it’s on Saturday. Baseball is done. NFL is about it.

It’s stupid and it’s wrong and they shouldn’t be afraid to compete with anyone but it’s the way it is.
Based on this just do the Grey Cup at the end of September. Make the final game of the season on Labour Day and run three weeks of playoffs. Go from 21 weeks to 15 or 16 weeks. Problems solved.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #2010
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Jorden does indeed draw in, he's a faster version of Chris Matthews who was a great add late in 2018.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #2011
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
If Jorden does indeed draw in, he's a faster version of Chris Matthews who was a great add late in 2018.
Prior to injury but it's anyone's guess if he's still the receiver he was prior to the injury. Still if Rogers can't play it can't hurt to have him in the lineup.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #2012
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lions release WR Duron Carter

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/11/08/lions-...-duron-carter/

Quote:
In his lone season with the Lions, Carter amassed 614 yards and three touchdowns while making 67 catches.

Carter’s dismissal is likely the first of many changes to a BC roster that failed to make the playoffs in 2019, ultimately costing head coach DeVone Claybrooks his job.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #2013
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

double post
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #2014
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Man, I'll be stoked if Jorden is back. But it seems like a risky proposition to bring a WR back from a 14 month knee injury to play on a frozen, snowy field.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 PM   #2015
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

I don't get it. What about all the years when Halloween or Remembrance day do not fall on a Sunday?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #2016
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
Man, I'll be stoked if Jorden is back. But it seems like a risky proposition to bring a WR back from a 14 month knee injury to play on a frozen, snowy field.

Which is why no one should expect a lot from him.

it would be great to see him back and able to play again, but dude is jumping into the playoffs without seeing game speed for over a year.

If the team wins then i could see him helping next week, and even more in the GC should they get there..

Law is a huge loss if he cant go. With the weather looking bleak, the running game is so much more important as well as stopping it is the other way. Bombers have a big edge there.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #2017
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don't get it. What about all the years when Halloween or Remembrance day do not fall on a Sunday?
Yeah, Halloween hasn’t landed on a Sunday since 2010. Next time isn’t until 2027. For those years just move back the Grey Cup one week to November 7.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #2018
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stamps will be without both Law and Rogers tomorrow but Jorden is back and listed as one of the starting slotbacks!
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flickered Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #2019
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1193198771498364929
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2019, 11:31 AM   #2020
Scorch
First Line Centre