Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:
Default Pumpkins

Anybody know where one can get pumpkins now?

Grocery stores near me are sold out
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thorncliff Safeway had some yesterday, they were in the bakery section, for some reason...maybe that's why they still had some.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #3
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

They're all over the neighbourhood this time of year, just go grab one.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #4
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Halloween has started to become a thing in Australia. With pumpkins not exactly being readily available here this time of year many grocery stores have started advertising watermelons for carving.

Not sure how I feel about this... Using something other than a pumpkin for a jack-o-lantern seems like Halloween blasphemy. That said pumpkins here can be costly and hard to find so this at least lets more people get into the Halloween spirit. Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Y'all are already upside down and backwards, so why not go full Saskatchewan, too?
Old 10-29-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
They're all over the neighbourhood this time of year, just go grab one.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #7
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thorncliff Safeway had some yesterday, they were in the bakery section, for some reason...maybe that's why they still had some.
Appreciate the tip. I checked it out. No luck today.

Seems, according to a lady in customer service, they get shipments, don’t know when they are coming, people are pleasantly surprised, and they get cleaned out within an hour or so.

I’m going to keep trying!

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 10-29-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:48 PM   #8
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the supply maybe tight as I have seen several posts on the neighborhood Facebook page.

Some linked an ad to a guy selling them for $15 or so each, which several folks seemed to think was a lot. But most posts on our Facebook page generally include inexpensive or cheap
Old 10-29-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Sounds like the supply maybe tight as I have seen several posts on the neighborhood Facebook page.

Some linked an ad to a guy selling them for $15 or so each, which several folks seemed to think was a lot. But most posts on our Facebook page generally include inexpensive or cheap
Yeah, I think the freeze may have hit the supply side.

I would consider paying more for a pumpkin if you want to PM a link to that ad
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #10
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

There were some at the midtown coop this morning...I've heard coops have been the best bet right now.

Apparently it's a bad crop this year, going rotten early. Mine certainly did yesterday...luckily checking at the coop worked out.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at Superstore before Safeway, and they had about 20 bins outside of frozen ruined pumpkins. I guess they just left them outside in the cold? Doesn't seem smart. But probably why there is such a shortage if other stores did the same.

I guess I must have had really good timing when I went to Safeway.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #12
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If all the pumpkins that are grown to be cut up and discarded were either the tasty sugar pies or other types of squash and actually consumed for food, the world would be a better place.
I hope Australia doesn't start wasting watermelon to conform.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #13
Guest1

Global news was asking people for their pumpkin-hunting stories... There were many posts in my community FB page. The last place that had any on that thread was the produce store on Macleod by Once upon a Child. I left mine outside, but haven't checked the frozen-ness of it yet.
I think I might go to plastic next year... And that's coming from someone whose birthday is ON Halloween
Old 10-29-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Halloween has started to become a thing in Australia. With pumpkins not exactly being readily available here this time of year many grocery stores have started advertising watermelons for carving.

Not sure how I feel about this... Using something other than a pumpkin for a jack-o-lantern seems like Halloween blasphemy. That said pumpkins here can be costly and hard to find so this at least lets more people get into the Halloween spirit. Thoughts?
Start growing pumpkins as a side gig, sounds like you could make some bank.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #15
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
There were some at the midtown coop this morning...I've heard coops have been the best bet right now.

Apparently it's a bad crop this year, going rotten early. Mine certainly did yesterday...luckily checking at the coop worked out.

my wife had been looking for pumpkins here in kelowna and was talking to a lady that works at superstore and the employee told her that lots of pumpkins were going bad early - so it's not just a calgary thing.

i think she ended up finding a couple at save-on.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
Guest1

I also heard that there are some people posting on Kijiji that bought up a ####load of pumpkins and now are selling them for 10 times the original price.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:53 PM   #17
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I also heard that there are some people posting on Kijiji that bought up a ####load of pumpkins and now are selling them for 10 times the original price.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:04 PM   #18
jtfrogger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had Facebook remind me this morning that on October 29 last year, I was on the hunt for pumpkins with most stores being sold out.

This year, we were on the ball and picked up three pumpkins a week and a half ago. Ha ha, silly 2018 jtfrogger, 2019 jtfrogger has you beat. They were a little soft and would not last long indoors, so we put them on the patio to keep them from rotting before we can carve them.

So, after work today, I brought them inside to carve. Oops. They are now frozen solid. I'm sure they won't be pretty when they thaw. So, same day as last year, I am on the same quest.

Around 5:45, I head to Midtown Coop. They were out, but told me that the Richmond Road Co-op was the last store to have any. I went straight there and ended up with the very last one from their bin just after 6:00. Staff seemed a little freaked out that they were going so fast. One person in their produce section had a little fear in her eyes when she mentioned the swarming around the bin she witnessed and clearly did not want to promise that there were any left.

I wanted a couple more, so I went to the Save-On across the street. They had none. All their stores in the city are apparently out too. They did have a weird squash that kinda looked like a green pumpkin and my kid was kinda impressed with that one. We also got one of the ones with a picture of a decorated skull on it.

So, we have three very different pumpkins this year that will be carved tomorrow. One is a traditional orange one, another green pumpkin-like squash, and other pre-decorated.

2020 jtfrogger won't let the pumpkins freeze. October 29 will not be another pumpkin quest. Hopefully.
jtfrogger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jtfrogger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You left pumpkins outside in -15??? That's first degree gourdicide man. Well, -15 degree, anyway. You should have had your pumpkin purchasing powers revoked. -15? Sheesh, they didn't stand a chance. RIP orange face x3.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #20
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Maybe if some families didn't buy 10-12 pumpkins each, there would be a few left for the rest of us.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote