Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #81
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes View Post
Is this credible or merely propaganda, Captain?
I think that its credible . . . with exaggeration.

A Nuclear Powered Cruise missile is a frightening concept, especially one that could theoretically be capable of extreme high speed. If you can extend the range of a cruise missile from about 600 miles to unlimited, its possible that you have a really small missile that you can coat with RAM, that after launching can basically fly low and navigate between trees.

Yeah that would really be a ABM killing technological break through.

The draw back is that you would only have one warhead on a missile, instead of multiples on a missile like a MIRV'd ICBM.

Ok, let me step back and kind of explain.

the advantage of a MIRV is that you can basically shower a target with multiple large warheads. That means that there is a higher likely hood of a target getting hit. However in the face of a ABM threat, if you take out one or two missiles, you rip a hole in a enemies plans. For example. if you take out one American missile submarine you rip a huge hole in America's deterrence plan.

With a cruise missile you would pretty much need to emphasize redundancies into any war plan. The benefit though is because Cruise Missiles are very smart weapons now. You could pretty much launch 2 or 3 missiles that would dive into the clutter and could navigate to the target from different routes and directions.

There are three things that the major powers are working on.

Hypersonic weapns.

The American's I think are banking on a Mach 6 missile called the high speed strike weapon that can be fired from a F-35, its a conventional powered Scram jet enabled stealthy cruise missile with a range of 600 miles.

The BrahMos II was a Indian/Russian concept that would travel at Mach 6, have a range of 300 miles and be launched from their next concept destroyer.

Extreme Long Range.

The running joke is the 70's and 80's was that American and Russian missile boats could fire from along their docks and hit targets anywhere. What's interesting is that those ranges are there, but maybe the day of the ICBM is coming to an end with major powers researching the ability to knock out ICBM's before they get to their terminal phase.

The answer is in cruise missiles. If you can get a self reliant cuise missile that can launch off of a hidden launcher instead of an aircraft, sub or ship. You get a deadly, and with modern stealth and the size of a cruise missile, and the ability to create a smart cruise missile something that's terrifying and unstoppable with something like a Star Wars esque laser defense grid. If the Russians have come up with a nuclear powered engine for a cruise missile, that thing has no range limits and probably a lot of speed.

Obviously stealth is huge, but the Russians have been working on autonomous brilliant weapons, the ability to maneuver and evade is on the table.

I think on this board a few years back that Russia had changed its defense philsophy, the day of the overwhelming crush of the Red Army and the doctrine of 5-1 has gone away. Instead Russia has been pouring a ton of money into projects based around the idea of fewer weapons and troops and greater effect.

When America pulled out of the ABM treaty and started placing ABM technology around Russia. The Russian's reacted by looking for ways to make ABM yesterdays news.

Just to illustrate

These are the things that the Russians have or will have soon

RS-28 Samat - A new generation of ICBM with the ability to carry extremely heavy leads. It can use conventional warheads, or in theory hypersonic gliders. They also carry extensive countermeasures.

The Underwater ballistic drone. Basically this is almost like a unmanned hunter killer with a unlimited range. It can be used for interdiction, where it can basically float in an enemies water and then attack a target with or without human intervention. Basically it could float up to a ship like the George Washington, ask if its Sarah Conner and kill it. If they have this on the table. Its going to have an extremely small signature, probably be nuclear powered and extremely quiet, and it can go to a strike area and sit quietly like a mine until it detects its target and then its also supposed to be extremely fast.

Kinzhal missile system. Deployed has a 2000 mile range and can maneuver autonomously, it also travels at 10 times the speed of sound.

RS-26 Rubezh (in production) - a next generation depressed trajectory supersonic MIRV or MARV equipt intercontinental ballistic missile. This thing basically takes a straight line through the atmosphere to its target 6000 miles away at 20 times the speed of sound. Basically its so fast that the time between a launch warning and impact is extremely small.

We know that Putin isn't bragging out Russia's new classes of submarines.

The Russians have started to bring their Yasen submarines on line which are considered a next generation deep diving high speed extremely quiet submarine. Their new Borei class of missile boats is a fourth generation highly capable missile boat.

The Russian's are becoming too good at what they're doing and in terms of keeping secrets. I was surprised that the SU-57 was deployed, but we have seen 6 of them now.

Putin showed test footage of the cruise missile so I'm inclined to believe that something is there.

Now I don't doubt that the American's are working on similar things. But the Russians seem to have made a generational leap forward.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #82
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just to add, that cruise missile, while the concept of using it against a city is frightening. A hyper sonic ultra maneuverable extremely long range extremely accurate cruise missile concept is designed with two thoughts in mind.

First - decapitation strikes. If you have a weapon that can launch and vanish and hit its target in lets say 20 minutes, it defeats any concept of evacuating a government.

Second - Counter force - This is designed to take out a countries arsenal of nuclear weapons as a first strike option.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #83
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does a nuclear powered cruise missile work? A conventional missile works by shooting fire out the back with chemical thrust. I don't understand how you keep a rocket in the air with a, uhm, controlled nuclear detonation?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 AM   #84
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How does a nuclear powered cruise missile work? A conventional missile works by shooting fire out the back with chemical thrust. I don't understand how you keep a rocket in the air with a, uhm, controlled nuclear detonation?
Just Google Project Pluto or nuclear propulsion and you will find your answer.

Basically, the system super heats the incoming ram air which creates the thrust.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #85
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Funnily enough, this isn't a new concept, the American's were working on it in the 60's.

Ironically it was cancelled because it was seen as the American's as way to provocative, and that ICBM's were easier and cheaper to develop.

In the whole . . . Alannis Morrissette would look at this as kind of ironic.

The modern day Russians don't care about the provocation anymore, they feel they were provoked into this by America going whole hog into ABM research which in theory could make a nuclear war winnable.

Also this is the type of technology that could theoretically make the ICBM obsolete.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:34 AM   #86
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The western media is shaking in their collective boots about the nuclear weapons mentioned in Putin's announcement, but they have totally ignored perhaps the most important revelation and that is the information about the Kinzhai (Dagger).

They are operational in the Southern Military District on board MiG-31. I don't doubt that SU-30/34/35 can carry them as well.

On board the MiG-31 makes this a very formidable weapons system. Without any notion of hyperbole, naval warfare as we know it is finished. We have entered a new era where no modern or prospective air defense system deployed by any NATO fleet can intercept a single Kinzhai. A salvo of six or so of these missiles will decimate a carrier battle group.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #87
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
The western media is shaking in their collective boots about the nuclear weapons mentioned in Putin's announcement, but they have totally ignored perhaps the most important revelation and that is the information about the Kinzhai (Dagger).

They are operational in the Southern Military District on board MiG-31. I don't doubt that SU-30/34/35 can carry them as well.

On board the MiG-31 makes this a very formidable weapons system. Without any notion of hyperbole, naval warfare as we know it is finished. We have entered a new era where no modern or prospective air defense system deployed by any NATO fleet can intercept a single Kinzhai. A salvo of six or so of these missiles will decimate a carrier battle group.
I think that they just used the Mig-31 as a test bed, but the Mig 31 is pretty much a pure interceptor.

I would think that the idea would be to link up a missile like the Kinzhal with their frontal naval aviation groups and find a way to mount them on something like a long range Blackjack bomber which have gone through extensive modifications. They're also close on the PAK DA

Right now its assumed that the Kinzhai can travel at mach 10 and has a 2000 mile range. That means that if the missile is launched from maximum range it would arrive on target in about 20 minutes.

Most Naval air defenses right now are focused around SAM missiles and the venerable R2D2.

A medium range RIM-161 has a range of under 400 KMS so it would have at at best under 3 minutes to intercept and the problem is that a mach 10 missile would outrun shrapnel from a war head explosion and a missile to missile hit isn't going to happen.

The Phalanx has a maximum range of 3 miles, the missile has a speed of about 127 miles a minute or 2 miles a second..

This is why the Russians and American's are putting a lot of money in ship born laser defenses, that can shoot out to the range of basically a Aegis radar and can shoot a lot in a short period of time.

The doctrine won't change all that much from the 70's doctrine of the Soviets using a plane like the Badger to pinpoint a naval formation and radio the information back to a flight of backfires that would then close and shower the formation with missiles, and then boost away on after burners.

However, now you have the threat of using satellites to pin point a formation. Send that information live to one or two stealth based bombers, or a lot of Black Jacks who would then close and fire missiles that could arrive in seconds.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #88
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I stand by what I wrote. It is deployed right now with MiG-31.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #89
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sorry Baron, I didn't doubt what you are saying.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #90
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There are a lot of posts here about the hi-tech, but here are a couple of lo-tech shots:

A gun "truck" in the Sinai:

and an Iranian Safir jeep used by YPG in Afrin, Syria:

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #91
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

the SU-57 program might be in trouble as the relationship between Russian and India is fractured.

http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-...lth-jet-2018-3

Old 03-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #92
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some skookum tanks in Syria.

A Syrian Arab Army (SAA) T-72 previously captured by the Jihadis and then modified. The jihadis abandoned the tank in Ghouta.

Some SAA T-62s:

With BMP in Ghouta

Eastern Syria
Old 03-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #93
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
the SU-57 program might be in trouble as the relationship between Russian and India is fractured.

http://www.businessinsider.com/f-35-...lth-jet-2018-3

Multiple experts recently told Business Insider that Russia's program to acquire and field the Su-57 desperately needs an infusion of cash from an international investor like India.

As much as Putin wants to rebuild Soviet Union Part Deux, he’s trying to do so in the context of a Russian economy the size of something between Canada and Mexico.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 AM   #94
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, they've been pouring a ton of money into their military to modernize it.

Newly designed subs.

Stealth fighter bombers.

They just released another claim of the hypersonic missile.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/11/world...ile/index.html

Its like the Ronald Reagan days when the Soviet economy was broken by run away defense spending.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #95
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is an SAA 240mm mortar in action on one of the Ghouta fronts. Its max range is 10km and the shell weighs 130 kg.

The up-armored SAA ZSU-23 is typically used in a direct fire support role for ground troops. Its designed, though, as an anti-aircraft platform.

SAA T-55MV. This tank has the Kontakt explosive reactive armor.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #96
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well this could be somewhat not awesome

https://twitter.com/user/status/974381652385386497

Now personally, I believe that the American's have some spare ones sitting around, they could just drop one off.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #97
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russia's new Surmat rocket launch. This is the oddest launch I've ever seen. It's like the rocket gets popped out, says "hold on a sec, I gotta ditch this garbage on my ass. Ok, good to go!"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:41 AM   #98
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It almost looks like a missile launch from a sub, where it air boosts out and then ignites its rocket motor to get clear.

ICBM's are notoriously fragile, they usually depend on their fuel tanks to provide rigidity, and you can pretty well push a screwdriver through their skin because they need to be light. I'm assuming that firing its main engine from inside of a silo would damage the missile so they launch it with a conventional booster instead.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #99
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A 23mm technical firing line in Syria. The receiving end of that firing line would not be pleasant.

We often joke about the technicals, but they are quite effective. However, even though the Toyota Hilux is a very capable truck, I think its frame will have a short life expectancy with those 23mm firing off the back end.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:00 AM   #100
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The dangerous world of IEDs is no more evident than when they are disguised as toys. This one was found in the Afrin area of Syria.

...powered by readily available batteries.