Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 AM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Alan Quine looks like he will be a serviceable player to rotate into the bottom six.
I like Quine too, but he’s 26-years-old and has +300 professional games on his resume. He’s not a prospect.

But yes, he has looked good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #22
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Zag needs to play a game against some more NHL caliber rosters. He looks good against Oiler rookies and 30 minutes of a split squad game. I am guessing he will get some time in that SJ game on Thursday which should be close to SJ opening roster. That should/would be a good measuring stick.

Outside the expected (Dube), I don't think anyone is forcing themselves onto the roster. I do like the progression of some of the players over last year (Gawdin and Ruzicka to name a couple).
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #23
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think guys on the Zag hype train need to settle down a bit. He's played 30 minutes against a split squad, and a Vancouver one no less.

He looked technically good, and I'm glad they added him to the system, but he's a long ways away from proving he's ready for any NHL time at this point.
Oh absolutely. At this point he's just depth. But we really needed depth in that position, and he's looked good.

I do have a good feeling about this guy. I'm only wrong about this stuff 50% of the time 😉
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #24
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I dont think Gawdin is far from being a call up to fill in on the bottom 6. I think he could hold his own with limited minutes and appears to be improving at a pretty decent pace. He will play NHL games at some point.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #25
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was my first real look at Pospisil and I am very impressed. To think he's not even 20 yet, but looked dominant out there against older players with some real vision and touch. Also had no idea he could play center.

Ruzicka has also exceeded expectations.

Yelesin looks good, a little bit of seasoning in the minors with some video room time and learning the language & systems and he won't be far from NHL-ready.

The other guys (Kylington, Dube, Phillips, Pelletier, Zavgorodniy) have also performed well as expected. I could see Phillips in particular getting an early callup and soaring with the opportunity.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #26
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to add that the thing that surprised me the most was how many guys looked like they could handle a short stint in the lineup without embarrassing themselves, and maybe even contribute something.

This is valuable when injuries happen.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:59 AM   #27
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dube has looked great. So has Bennett. Some good things from Kylington as well.

From the kids, I agree with the consensus here: Gawdin, Pelletier, Ruzicka and, in a limited role, Zagidulin.

And a shout-out to Giordano, who wears the C like a ####ing boss.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ruzicka for me. Didn't have much hopes for him as I thought he would need a few years in the minors to find himself and his game. Came to camp and has impressed me with his hands. Got some sick mitts there. Still needs to find some speed and intensity, but he's really given me hope for a big power forward in the organization.

Gawdin gets the honorable mention. Really impressed with his shot off the wing. Could be one of those quiet snipers on the right line. Will be interesting to see his development in the AHL this year.

Disappointments in camp this year have been limited as well. I don't expect a lot in camp other than to see guys expected to take a step up, take a step up. That hasn't happened. There has been no prospect force the situation. There hasn't been a guy in a position who needs to push even step up. I expected Mangipagne to step up and seize a bigger role, but his contract situation didn't help. I had hoped Bennett would dominate, but he's not finding that groove against weaker opponents in the pre-season. This camp has been a reflection of the Flames off season. Nothing to get excited about nor any sizzle to the bacon. Bring on the regular season already. Let's play some hockey that matters.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #29
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biggest surprise for me - Gawdin. I had him pegged as an AHL'er. Seems to me he isn't far off from the NHL. Kid is good all over the ice.

Pospisil is somewhat surprising for me. I didn't think he would transition this well. He often looks like a capable NHL'er at times, though obviously could use a bit of seasoning.

Nobody else has really 'impressed' me - which is not to say that they haven't been good. I know Rucizka is impressively talented and it shows, but it is his consistency with his work ethic that is the question mark for me. I think a lot of prospects have really played well. Just wanted to cover the ones that surprised me somewhat.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #30
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked Rucizka's last game as he kinda stood out to me as well as Gawdin and his 200ft game. I also liked Yelesin and of course Zagidulin. I did like Pospisil as well from what I seen. Not so happy with Tuuolo.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good