Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #1021
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow! 22 is an amazing age. Sincere condolences for your loss.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2019, 06:55 PM   #1022
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear! What a sad day
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 02:20 PM   #1023
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm really torn about whether or not to put my German Shepard/Black Lab cross down. He's a big dog that's been pretty healthy for his life, but his hip started to go about 1.5 years ago and now he is completely incontinent. He spent the summer as an outdoor dog. I got him an insulated dog house and straw for the fall, but with the extremely cold weather I've been having late (-40 overnights) I've had him in the garage. Unfortunately, he doesn't even get up and just goes all over himself. On the other side, he still has his moments, can get excited about treats and enjoys affection.

I'm leaning towards making the appointment, but I second-guess myself when he has good moments.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #1024
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
I'm really torn about whether or not to put my German Shepard/Black Lab cross down. He's a big dog that's been pretty healthy for his life, but his hip started to go about 1.5 years ago and now he is completely incontinent. He spent the summer as an outdoor dog. I got him an insulated dog house and straw for the fall, but with the extremely cold weather I've been having late (-40 overnights) I've had him in the garage. Unfortunately, he doesn't even get up and just goes all over himself. On the other side, he still has his moments, can get excited about treats and enjoys affection.

I'm leaning towards making the appointment, but I second-guess myself when he has good moments.
It should always be quality over quantity.

Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1025
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think it's time and you will know the time. My last dog was running with me a week before we had to put him down. I went to the Vet and told her so and she was "like yes but". He had cancer. Their desire to live and continue on is amazing. Tearing up writing this.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BowRiverBruinsRule For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #1026
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend recently struggled with this decision with her Golden. The vet told her it was time but she was hesitant because she said the dog still seemed happy most of the time. The vet told her if she started becoming incontinent the dog would be mortified because Goldens are “people pleasers”. The vet also said they hide their pain a lot to please their owners.

I think it sounds like the quality of life is not there anymore.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #1027
NinePack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes ,its a terribly tough decision to make. When we had to put down out dog , She was having a horrible time sleeping, little yelps when she tried to pick up a ball or a stick. started to not eat well, stopped coming with me when i went for a walk. But she still loved getting in the truck and going to the beach. We decided to put her down when she still could have fun at the beach. Tough to do , thinking we might have been able to get couple of more weeks out of her , but that wouldve of been selfish in my eyes. She was ready to really go down hill .

My heart goes out to all of you
NinePack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NinePack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #1028
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

When I put my dog down because of cancer, he got out of the car and attempted to play with other dogs and visit with the donkeys (this was in Bragg Creek, awesome vet by the way).

That made me feel even more guilty about putting him down, even though I knew it was time.

Scheduling your dog's "end" is a very bizarre/heartbreaking situation, but you owe it to them to make that decision before they suffer too much.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 09:16 AM   #1029
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for your posts. It helped me eventually make the call. It was busy at first and then I just did not want to redial. Eventually, I did. The receptionist asked if I wanted to make the appointment or have the vet call me back to discuss if other treatments were still available. I choose the latter just to kind of delay it and reassure my position. When the vet called, he didn't present any options. He just told me that I shouldn't allow my dog to suffer. So I made an appointment for Thursday evening, the vet will call me when he's done with the rest of his appointments for the day. Now I'm going to spoil the heck out of him for the next 36 hours. I've also been prepping my 5 year old telling her that he's going to go away.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #1030
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Be strong, and be in the room for him. I know that will be the hardest thing I ever do when my buddy's time comes, but he deserves it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #1031
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We are there right now as well. I just contacted my vet yesterday for a heads up and get their options. We have a 15 year old plus Shiba Inu and she is old, slow and you can see she is hurting as well as deaf, hardly can see and gets lost all over the house and yard.

We have put down a few dogs over the years and the biggest challenge is just to admit to yourself that is really is time. Pain and suffering should not have to be going on forever and life will probably end soon anyways.

Good luck to whatever decision you end up at.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #1032
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzles View Post
I still have my dog's toy box in the family room. It's been 8 years. I have her collar hanging on the wall. I have her picture on my fridge. It all helps. I am sincerely sorry for your loss.

We haven't picked up any of his stuff yet. I mentioned it to my wife if I should put some of the items away and she broke down. I can see most of the items sitting around for years and I think I'm ok with that.

On a side note we chose to use a at home service as he hated going to the vet and was always terrified. He was completely relaxed at home and in my eyes worth the extra money.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #1033
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made the stupid decision of reading this thread at work.... difficult to keep my emotions in check right now.

I've been through this. My cat, Zoe, 17 years old, was in pretty good shape but was starting to have joint pain due to arthritis. Then one day I came home and she'd had a stroke. She couldn't stand, she'd gone blind and couldn't control her bowels.

We put her on one of my pillows and wrapped her in a t-shirt I'd been wearing.

Once we were in with her Dr, we were walked through the process and asked questions about her remains.

She was briefly taken out of the room and given an injection. We then sat together with me stroking her and talking to her until her heart stopped and she was confirmed to have passed.

It was awful. I still break down when I think about it. But, I take comfort in knowing the last thing she heard was my voice telling her I love her and the feel of my hand on her back.

Pets are family, they aren't possessions. They should be treated with the same kindness and dignity as any other family member.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #1034
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
When I put my dog down because of cancer, he got out of the car and attempted to play with other dogs and visit with the donkeys (this was in Bragg Creek, awesome vet by the way).

That made me feel even more guilty about putting him down, even though I knew it was time.

Scheduling your dog's "end" is a very bizarre/heartbreaking situation, but you owe it to them to make that decision before they suffer too much.
I still struggle with the guilt 5 years later even though everyone told me I was doing the right thing. After they put in the IV and brought here to me my sweet girl wagged her tail and settled into my lap. The rest is too painful to articulate.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #1035
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had to make the decision to put my 15 year old Shiba Inu down a week and a half ago. I had been dreading the decision for the last few years, she had slowed down but just kept trucking despite everything. Every time it was oh this is the last time she'll be on the coast, or the last christmas, or the last camping trip. She had many of those lasts over and over again.

I had unexpectedly lost another dog (Milo, not by euthanasia) in the summer very suddenly, a younger one that was supposed to live many years past Rika, and that meant that for sure 2019 was going to be a bad year losing both dogs.

The last couple months we had another puppy around for her to play with and it really did inject her with youth. She tolerated him jumping on her, running circles around her, or even sleeping beside her (she was always kind of a bitch to other dogs, and definitely was the king of the hill with Milo and her). On e morning she just started suffering bad vertigo, nystagmus, balance issues. You could see she was scared, and uncomfortable. We took her to the vet, tried a couple treatments but I think we knew it was just that time.

I'll start by saying that I feel immense relief as well as sadness. I feel relieved that she isn't uncomfortably lumbering around the house. I feel relief I don't have that decision hanging over my head. I feel relief that she won't and isn't suffering and that made and makes things just so much better. It also made it very easy to come to peace with the decision the day of. Nobody wants to just put down an animal who seems happy but is slow, or seems happy but has accidents. She was uncomfortable, I gave her relief.

Now the hard part, verbalizing the decision. We knew it had to be made, I'd been essentially grieving and preparing for years, but once you say it its final. Things go into motion, theres no take-backsies. It went by so quick, she went very peacefully and we were spared the suffering that Milo had experienced when he passed away which was so incredibly difficult to watch and not be able to take away.

Now, because everyone likes pics of pets here they all are. Rika the Shiba Inu, Milo the Chihuahua, and Remi the puppy chihuahua who is filling the holes in our hearts.

Rika

Milo

Remi and Rika

Last edited by Aleks; 12-11-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Aleks For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #1036
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This thread brings me to physical tears I can barely make it through these posts, just want to say condolences to everyone youre all brave and strong people and i truly do feel your pain.

I have 2 small dogs one 6 years old and a new addition to the family only 4 months. The thought of ever having to make this decision breaks me I cant even fathom it.
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2019, 05:07 PM   #1037
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pseudo I’m sorry for your sad loss to come but you made the loving decision for the pet that has been an important member of the family for so long.

Grief is the price you pay for love.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #1038
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thinking of you this morning pseudoreality.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BowRiverBruinsRule For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #1039
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I had to make the decision to put my 15 year old Shiba Inu down a week and a half ago. I had been dreading the decision for the last few years, she had slowed down but just kept trucking despite everything. Every time it was oh this is the last time she'll be on the coast, or the last christmas, or the last camping trip. She had many of those lasts over and over again.

I had unexpectedly lost another dog (Milo, not by euthanasia) in the summer very suddenly, a younger one that was supposed to live many years past Rika, and that meant that for sure 2019 was going to be a bad year losing both dogs.

The last couple months we had another puppy around for her to play with and it really did inject her with youth. She tolerated him jumping on her, running circles around her, or even sleeping beside her (she was always kind of a bitch to other dogs, and definitely was the king of the hill with Milo and her). On e morning she just started suffering bad vertigo, nystagmus, balance issues. You could see she was scared, and uncomfortable. We took her to the vet, tried a couple treatments but I think we knew it was just that time.

I'll start by saying that I feel immense relief as well as sadness. I feel relieved that she isn't uncomfortably lumbering around the house. I feel relief I don't have that decision hanging over my head. I feel relief that she won't and isn't suffering and that made and makes things just so much better. It also made it very easy to come to peace with the decision the day of. Nobody wants to just put down an animal who seems happy but is slow, or seems happy but has accidents. She was uncomfortable, I gave her relief.

Now the hard part, verbalizing the decision. We knew it had to be made, I'd been essentially grieving and preparing for years, but once you say it its final. Things go into motion, theres no take-backsies. It went by so quick, she went very peacefully and we were spared the suffering that Milo had experienced when he passed away which was so incredibly difficult to watch and not be able to take away.

Now, because everyone likes pics of pets here they all are. Rika the Shiba Inu, Milo the Chihuahua, and Remi the puppy chihuahua who is filling the holes in our hearts.

Rika

Milo

Remi and Rika
I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. We had to say goodbye to our almost 13 year old Newfie 3 years ago to the day. It truly is like saying goodbye to a family member.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #1040
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Shiba RIP

We made the decision and put our 15 year old Shiba Inu down yesterday. It was just too sad watching her lumber around the house, walk into things and get stuck in corners. She was a great dog and had a good life. RIP Yugi....

calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to calgarygringo For This Useful Post: