Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is true BING should be down in a few days as well.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I heard that the boneheads renovating Hillside Mall cut through some fibre optic cable or something. That may have started as a joke though, so who knows.

I felt absolutely lost for those four or five hours. Really sad if you think about it haha.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who say they like Bing more than Google in those commercials are flat out liars!
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HOOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

BING is the special little cousin that people rarely talk about... Because they really shouldn't give copycats the attention.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Hey now, it costs a lot of money to ship data all the way from Vancouver to Vancouver Island. It's not like there's a tube from one place to another. The worst part is that Purolator won't even pick up on the weekends!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #26
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150 View Post
I heard that the boneheads renovating Hillside Mall cut through some fibre optic cable or something. That may have started as a joke though, so who knows.

I felt absolutely lost for those four or five hours. Really sad if you think about it haha.
i laughed at the guy who phoned into the zone this morning saying that it was a fibre optic line cut in the ocean that served just google... Yea google has it's own fibre optic line that serves the island and just has gmail/google/youtube on it ... no that's not how google/gmail/youtube work.. (ignoring the fact that it was related to shaw customers affected only at this point)

Yes, google has fibre optic internet in one place in the states, but that would cause those customers to lose all of their internet, not just google provided stuff - if a fibre optic line was cut it would be far more than just google/youtube/gmail that would be down, it would be all of shaw's internet.

shaw screwed something up with some packet filtering stuff they were doing, probably trying to put in some detection for detecting illegally download stuff or something, 100% shaw's problem in it's software, not at all a fibre line cut.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #27
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
i laughed at the guy who phoned into the zone this morning saying that it was a fibre optic line cut in the ocean that served just google... Yea google has it's own fibre optic line that serves the island and just has gmail/google/youtube on it ... no that's not how google/gmail/youtube work.. (ignoring the fact that it was related to shaw customers affected only at this point)

Yes, google has fibre optic internet in one place in the states, but that would cause those customers to lose all of their internet, not just google provided stuff - if a fibre optic line was cut it would be far more than just google/youtube/gmail that would be down, it would be all of shaw's internet.

shaw screwed something up with some packet filtering stuff they were doing, probably trying to put in some detection for detecting illegally download stuff or something, 100% shaw's problem in it's software, not at all a fibre line cut.
Ya it sounded fishy to me, that's why I added the disclaimer. Pretty ridiculous f up by Shaw though. So dumb.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote