Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Are Micro USB connectors globally universal?

I'm traveling to Europe and am taking my Nexus 4 with me. I'm going to buy an European USB plug but can I just use my existing cable?
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes
Old 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks guys, I thought I'd play better safe than sorry.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #5
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Almost all North American USB power adapters are universal voltage too, so if you were in a pinch you could use one with a plug adaptor safely without worrying about the voltage
Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #6
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Almost all North American USB power adapters are universal voltage too, so if you were in a pinch you could use one with a plug adaptor safely without worrying about the voltage
Great advice there - I found out after buying a pricey voltage converter I didn't need.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think pretty much every modern electronic purchased in NA these days have universal power adapters. Everything I can think of that I would travel with does. Only thing that you need to consider these days is the outlet adapter.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little unrelated but using anything but the supplied micro USB cables for e-readers (Kindles and Kobos at least) won't charge it.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
A little unrelated but using anything but the supplied micro USB cables for e-readers (Kindles and Kobos at least) won't charge it.
Hmm? I use a random micro-usb cable on my Kobo and it works perfectly fine, and have charged a Kindle with it too.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My Nexus 7 would only charge with certain cables, like the one that came with it. I think it had something to do with how long the connector is.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
My Nexus 7 would only charge with certain cables, like the one that came with it. I think it had something to do with how long the connector is.

It's probably something similar to this. I've just had rotten luck when trying to use numerous different micro USB ends to charge Kindle/Kobos. Some register as plugged in but none have actually supplied power.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #12
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i think there is A and B connectors though, might want to check which one you need
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's probably something similar to this. I've just had rotten luck when trying to use numerous different micro USB ends to charge Kindle/Kobos. Some register as plugged in but none have actually supplied power.
Are you talking cables or the power adapter? The power adapters come in lots of different amperage. Seems that some devices require a minimum amount of amps, and some don't work with the higher amp chargers.

As far as the micro usb connectors, they seem to be quite unreliable, and get loose after a while, and then stop working in some devices or only work if you get them in at the right angle, or the outlet in the device starts going bad too. I used to rag on Apple for not sticking with the standard micro usb ports, but I am really starting to hate micro usb!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Are you talking cables or the power adapter? The power adapters come in lots of different amperage. Seems that some devices require a minimum amount of amps, and some don't work with the higher amp chargers.

As far as the micro usb connectors, they seem to be quite unreliable, and get loose after a while, and then stop working in some devices or only work if you get them in at the right angle, or the outlet in the device starts going bad too. I used to rag on Apple for not sticking with the standard micro usb ports, but I am really starting to hate micro usb!
Cables, though I'm positive that the adapter wasn't a factor (just a basic 500mAh adapter or usb port which should theoretically work one way or another)
My ideal is NFC in all devices for file transfer and magnetic charging ports...
Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a kobo vox that will only charge correctly with the supplied cable- but I thought it was a mini USB, not micro? I could be mistaken. It would charge with other cables, but the device wouldn't register the status of the charge unless it was the official adapter.