Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NHL 13 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Press Release
NHL 13 Delivers Major Innovations That Will Change the Way You Play the Game

True Performance Skating and Hockey I.Q. Create Innovative New Gameplay Experience

GM Connected and NHL Moments Live Provide All-New Experiences that Connect Hockey Fans to Their Friends and the Real-World of the NHL

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:EA) announced today the key features for EA SPORTSTM NHL®13, promising the biggest change to the franchise since the introduction of the Skill Stick in NHL® 07. Headlined by all-new True Performance Skating, and supported by an innovative new A.I. system dubbed EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., NHL 13 will deliver a revamped gameplay experience that accurately captures the speed, creativity and strategy of NHL hockey. In addition, NHL 13 will also deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and the real world of hockey with the all-new GM Connected and NHL Moments Live modes. NHL 13 will be available on September 11, 2012 in North America and September 14, 2012 in Europe.

NHL 13 delivers an innovative new gameplay experience, accurately capturing the speed, creativity and strategy of today’s NHL through:
  • True Performance Skating – A game-changing innovation for the franchise that adds physics-driven skating and over 1000 new animations. True Performance Skating authentically replicates the explosiveness, momentum and top end speed displayed by today’s NHL players. True Performance Skating combined with the Skill Stick, finally gives gamers access to the entire toolset of an NHL player, delivering unprecedented control and unlocking a level of creativity never before possible in a hockey videogame.
  • EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q. – An innovative new A.I. system that governs the behaviors of players, goalies and team systems. In previous NHL games, players were only aware of skaters in their immediate proximity and goalies could only react to the player in control of the puck. With EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., all players are now fully aware of every other player on the ice, resulting in quicker, smarter and more true-to-life decision-making. EA SPORTS Hockey IQ also delivers the deepest and most customizable set of real-world hockey systems and strategies ever for the franchise.

NHL 13 will deliver new experiences that connect hockey fans to their friends and to NHL hockey with:
  • GM Connected – The ultimate fantasy league with friends. GM Connected takes the franchise’s most popular offline mode, Be a GM, and allows you to play with and against your friends in your own 30-team NHL. Whether you are a hardcore sports gamer or a hockey fan that moonlights as an armchair general manager, the mode offers unrivaled accessibility and depth by allowing players to manage, play or coach on the road to building your team’s legacy. GM’s can also take their experience with them with a mobile companion app, ensuring that they never miss a single moment.*
  • NHL Moments Live – Rewrite or relive history as you replay some of the most thrilling moments from today’s NHL. NHL 13 evolves the concept introduced by other sports games, introducing each scenario with real-world NHL footage to bring players closer to the intensity of the moment. Moments from the 2011-12 NHL season will ship on disc and new moments from the 2012-13 NHL season will be added as and when available throughout the season.

Fans of the franchise can expect several other improvements and innovations in NHL 13, such as:
  • Team-First Presentation, which customizes your NHL 13 experience based on your favorite NHL team
  • The addition of Customizable EA SPORTS Hockey IQ allowing players to create and record their own player and team strategies to a level never before seen in the franchise.
  • Improvements to core offline and online modes, including Hockey Ultimate Team, Be a Pro, EA SPORTS Hockey League, a refined on-ice presentation, and more.

NHL 13 Stanley Cup® Collector’s Edition Available for Pre-Order

Celebrate over 20 years of EA SPORTS NHL hockey with the first ever collector’s edition on this console generation. With Stanley Cup-inspired digital offerings, the NHL 13 Stanley Cup Collector’s Edition includes
:
  • Exclusive collectible Stanley Cup® tin featuring an embossed Stanley Cup image
  • Two Stanley Cup® Theme Hockey Ultimate Team packs featuring randomized player items from the Western and Eastern Conference Champions
  • Gold Jumbo Hockey Ultimate Team Pack (Regular) featuring 24 randomized items, including an exclusive Wayne Gretzky Hockey Ultimate Team Legend and six other rare items
  • A CCM Boost Pack featuring the all-new CCM RBZ stick (For use in Be a Pro and EA SPORTS™ Hockey League)
  • A 10% discount on a one-time purchase at shop.NHL.com
  • A complete copy of NHL 13

MSRP: $79.99

*App not available in France, Gibraltar, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Libya, Morocco, Serbia and Montenegro, and Syria

Visit the EA SPORTS NHL 13 website for more details and other pre-order offers.
http://www.easports.com/nhl

Last edited by Joborule; 05-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Come on Joborule, spill the beans!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will likely continue my trend of just buying the even years... so bring on NHL14
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll buy it...Always do.

Yes I know I am a bad consumer for buying it no matter what, but I don't care.

Wonder if they will have gameface this year, I think Madden has it now and of course FIFA.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So.... did they actually fix the game i wonder?

I hope BAGM got a total overhaul.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lt.Spears For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they don't mess with the skill stick. The best control in any sports game out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Spears View Post
I hope BAGM got a total overhaul.
I like to simulate my seasons, so I'd love for it to become more realistic.

I want things like choosing coaches, financing, etc., among other things like improving the game simulation itself. If you don't turn injuries off, players drop like flies, and for months at a time.

Last edited by Ashasx; 05-14-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I predict the following...

Tweaking the physics
Gameface
Either online GM mode, or an online be a pro mode
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love some new play by play commentary. Long overdue.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #9
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

They do need new commentary (hopefully Gary Thorne again), but among other things, they've re-used many of the animations since 07. It needs an overhaul. They game looks by far the most dated of all EA sports games.

Also, is it true that the game with be $40?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kinect Support - Be a commentator mode.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Kinect Support - Be a commentator mode.
Can't you just turn down the volume and mumble to yourself?
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What they need:

-New Graphics engine
-New polish on things (for instance im tired of seeing the exact same Stanley Cup celebration since 2008)
-New animations
-New PBP and commentators
-Complete overhaul of the BaGM mode so that you dont have an 82 overall Glencross and an 80 overall Tim Jackman. Or stupid trade logic where you can trade Iginla + 1st round pick for Malkin.

Fix those things and i will buy.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #13
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest thing I want is a Be A Pro mode similar to MLB: The Show. You should have to start on the fourth line and slowly work your way up to the first line rather than start on the first line and try and stay there which isn't that difficult.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The biggest thing I want is a Be A Pro mode similar to MLB: The Show. You should have to start on the fourth line and slowly work your way up to the first line rather than start on the first line and try and stay there which isn't that difficult.
That happens in NHL. Turn your difficulty up from Pro.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm one of the rare ones that absolutely loves the games. I generally can look past all the issues and play consistently throughout the year. I do have a list of things I'd love to see change, but they clearly won't be enough to stop me from picking this up.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Mostly I play 12 in Be A Pro. The other game I play is NBK2K12 and their My Pro is LIGHT YEARS better than EA's Be A Pro.

EA needs to rip the following things off of 2K sports for their Be A Pro:

In-Game Skill Points. When I make a good play I want to be instantly rewarded with skill points, when I make a bad play I want to lose them. I'm sick of playing a solid game, scoring two points and getting a total of 50 skill points without any indication of where or how I gained or lost points.

Reasonable Coaching Decisions. I'm the #1 goal scorer in the league and I get zero PP time and never see the in Overtime. That drives me bonkers.

Post-Game Press-Conferences. Maybe the best feature of 2K12's My Pro. After the game there is a press conference where you're asked a question about either the game or a milestone you reached or something. You have 4 choices of how to respond to it and the way you respond affects your standing with 1. Your Teammates 2. Local Fans and 3. League-Wide Fans. This leads to the following:

Team-Mate Chemistry. Based on "team-play" scores and your press-conference responses your Chemistry score goes up and down. If you have better chemistry your team actually functions better, and if you have lower chemistry they keep the ball out of your hands in clutch situations.

Trade Requests/Who's Interested in Me. I want some modicum of control over my relationship with the Franchise other than at contract time. If I hate the team I'm on I want to be able to request a trade. I also want to know who's interested in acquiring my services.

Reasonable Career Goals. Sure, it's great to shoot for the Gretzky/Orr records, but I'd like to see some benchmarks in between 100 goals and 898 goals. Reward a guy for getting 500/500, playing 1000 games, or consecutive 30-goal seasons.

Off-season improvement. This is a big one for younger players. Give me some freaking skill points to spend at the beginning of each season! Younger athletes get BETTER from year-to-year. They work out in the off season! They have trainers! They get bigger and older!

Endorsements. In 2k12 when you get drafted, the team throws up a billboard with you on it, you can go look at it. When you get good, you get put on the cover of Sports Illustrated and get sent a copy. When you get great, Jordan contacts you and designs some custom shoes for you. Little perks like this feel fantastic.

Skate With the Cup. I can't remember where I read it, but someone posted this on a message board and it's a brilliant idea. When you win the cup you should get to skate around the ice with it. Like, actually control your skater, look up at the cup, look around, savour the moment. It's the Stanley-Cup for crying out loud.

The gameplay and physics of NHL12 I'm totally happy with - except the goalie interference garbage - that can be pretty much left alone as far as I'm concerned. It's the game-modes that I want to see improved. From the sounds of it Be a GM needs work too.
driveway is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also play both NHL 12 and NBA 2K12 and feel the exact same way. I could live without the endorsements and other little perks, but the interaction with the franchise and the coaching decisions really need to improve along with the way in which skills progress.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Basically this is what we already knew, NHL get swepped under the rug and is generally worse than its polished NBA/NFL/Soccer Rivals.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #19
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Spears View Post
Basically this is what we already knew, NHL get swepped under the rug and is generally worse than its polished NBA/NFL/Soccer Rivals.
NBA went into hiatus after trying to revamped the series and failed to even ship out the game. It's just returning with a new studio and development this year.

Madden is in its first to second full year with a brand new development team. That game is heavily criticized by the gaming community for it's potential not being reached. Last year was another small step in progress. This year may be a bigger one though.

While NHL has gotten stagnate, overall it still a good series. In better shape than Madden and NBA quality wise. The main criticism it faces is not feeling different enough from previous iterations.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
this video disappoints me... why? because the last thing i think about when playing is "boy i sure wish i could do more with the skill stick while playing"

i know its obviously not the only thing they will work on, but i just continue to be amazed at how many problems the game has and how they ignore them and add useless features that no one cares about...
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ea sports , nhl 13 , video game