Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Cell Phone Repair

Does anyone know of good place to see about getting a cell phone repaired in downtown Calgary?

I've got a Blackberry Storm at work that a coworker dropped and it will not turn on at all. Would like to see if there is anything we can do about this or it is indeed just toast.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

iphix in Eau Claire.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
iphix in Eau Claire.

Seconded. I went there last week with my iphone and it was fixed within hours.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

iphix deals mostly with iphones, not sure if they fix blackberries. They are good though. I used them before they had a retail outlet. You brought it to a UPS store and they picked it up there and returned it there.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was in there with a coworker getting his iphone fixed and the guy was working on a blackberry at the time and there was another lady standing there with hers to be fixed.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #6
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bumping this.

As per my post in the Nexus thread:

Earlier today I placed my Nexus 4 down (back side down) on my bathroom counter. As I went to pick it up I could hear this scrapping sound. Flip over the phone: scratch (maybe crack) going from side to side, width wise, along the glass. I have no idea what caused it. Looking at my counter and feeling with my fingers...no idea. Was weird.

I stopped using the bumper because I thought I was careful enough. Who knew? It's almost as though the glass just buckled and decided to crack or whatever. I'm pretty sure it's a crack too, as one side feels raised.

Anyone know of any places in Calgary that can replace or repair the back glass? I have contacted IPhix, but they don't know if they can get the part in. Upon doing some research online, it's the entire BACK cover that will have to be replaced. The part is known as the "battery back cover." The phone's model is LG-E960

I have found a few places online, to buy the part, but I don't trust myself enough to do the work.

Anyone recommend a good place to take my Nexus 4 to...that can get the correct (hopefully OEM) part?

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 03-22-2013 at 01:18 AM.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here's a video showing how to take the Nexus 4 apart.

Maybe I can do this...looks simple enough.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I dropped my Nexus as well about a week ago. After taking it apart, the back feels like it is very weak and now I wont have it anywhere without a proper case on it. I can give you my seller from Ebay as I replaced it myself in about a weeks time and it's an OEM. The phone is back to new and it was relatively cheap.
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
I dropped my Nexus as well about a week ago. After taking it apart, the back feels like it is very weak and now I wont have it anywhere without a proper case on it. I can give you my seller from Ebay as I replaced it myself in about a weeks time and it's an OEM. The phone is back to new and it was relatively cheap.
That name would be appreciated.

Iphix just got back to me and they say they can't get the part in. So looks like I'm on my own.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #10
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think I may have found a solution for the glass crack on my Nexus 4.

I had been searching around for a replacement back, but I didn't want to possibly have the same issue again. So while reading http://mobilesyrup.com/ today I saw an add for a product called DBrand. http://dbrand.com/

Anyway, check out the site. They have lots of perfectly cut skins for the Nexus 4 and other Android and Apple devices. Even game controllers! They're out of Canada and the skins look to be a good price. About $9 each, plus shipping.

I'm going to post this exact post in the Nexus thread, as well.

Here's a quick review and application of the product:

I think the best part is how their skins fit EXACTLY to the phones. No extra stuff not covered. Search for other review on YouTube, and you'll see what I mean.

BTW: Wireless charging STILL works with the skin, as I saw on another review of the DBrand skins.

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 04-05-2013 at 08:22 AM.