Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default MP3 Player

So apparently Apple stopped making ipod nanos and only makes the touch now? The entire point of an mp3 player for me is having something small.

It seems most people are using their phones to stream or store music these days. I need something small for running.

Any suggestions for MP3 players? And is it painful to transfer music too if everything is in itunes? (I like to keep things decently organized, and it seems the actual files from itunes are named arbitrarily)

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about a watch option that you then use wireless headphones with? Something like a spotify connected watch. You can download a playlist to the watch and then just wear it. Is that an option you'd consider?

An example is my Samsung Gear Sport. It is a smartwatch/fitness watch with a spotify app.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../11645092.aspx

I'm sure there are others.

Last edited by metallicat; 10-13-2018 at 03:54 PM.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to metallicat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 12:02 AM   #3
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I got my wife a Fiio X1 mp3 player a couple of years ago. She used it all the time and loved the sound quality. I got it off Amazon for around $100-$120 I think.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeep991 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep991 View Post
I got my wife a Fiio X1 mp3 player a couple of years ago. She used it all the time and loved the sound quality. I got it off Amazon for around $100-$120 I think.
Those are great mp3 players but they're almost as bulky as a phone. I think the Sandisk Clip Plus is more compact but I don't know how well it works.

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-SDMX28...lip+sport+plus
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #5
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
What about a watch option that you then use wireless headphones with? Something like a spotify connected watch. You can download a playlist to the watch and then just wear it. Is that an option you'd consider?

An example is my Samsung Gear Sport. It is a smartwatch/fitness watch with a spotify app.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product.../11645092.aspx

I'm sure there are others.
How many songs can you get on it about? Do you need your phone with you?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #6
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Those are great mp3 players but they're almost as bulky as a phone. I think the Sandisk Clip Plus is more compact but I don't know how well it works.

https://www.amazon.ca/SanDisk-SDMX28...lip+sport+plus
I was eyeing these. Can anyone comment on their quality?

Old 10-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Can't comment on quality, but Costco.ca carries the 8gb for $55 if you want to save a few bucks. And you could return if it sucks.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
How many songs can you get on it about? Do you need your phone with you?
I'm not sure on exact number. You also have to have a Spotify subscription as well, so maybe my idea isn't the best if you don't already have that. And no, you add a playlist to your watch and leave your phone at home.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #9
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Apple stop supporting Nanos on iTunes as well? I tried to put new music on yesterday and I couldn't get it to recognize my device. Looked online and have no idea what to do.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #10
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sony's A-series MP3 players are good bang for the buck, and much cheaper than their American retail price if you import them - my 1st gen was from Japan and my 4th gen is from Hong Kong.

https://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/w...yers/t/walkman
boogerz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #11
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was eyeing these. Can anyone comment on their quality?
I didn't have this specific model, but I had the clip zip which was similar. The sport is a decent mp3 player, especially for running or just lugging around a huge library of music (due to ability to use micro SD). Main issues would be the interface is slightly lesser than other mp3 options, but for running, that's not a major issue. Due to the size, the battery starts showing its age around 3-4 years which might upset you as the mp3 player itself should continue to show it has plenty of mileage to go and lastly, some people feel the clip on the mp3 isn't strong enough, but this is easily moddable.

For the clip sport, it is too bad you cannot put the rockbox firmware on it. Otherwise, it would be the hands down first choice.

The Clip zip is compatible with rockbox though, however, it's been scalped to kingdom come due to it being discontinued. Most of them work reasonably well, but due to age, the battery life may not been the greatest. Sometimes I regret selling my rockboxed clip zip... but the Fiio X3 I purchased has been nice as well and I didn't need 3 mp3 players as I have a Cowon J3 as well and other misc options.

If you're ok spending slightly more, I'd suggest this one for running:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-Walkman-S...oof+mp3+player

I have the early variant of this Sony mp3 player. I presume the issues with the early variant were fixed in this iteration. This mp3 is rated for swimming, but I wouldn't suggest it unless you upgrade the tips to better seal water out. 4GB doesn't sound like a lot, but it's more than enough to have a playlist or two, which is all I really need for a workout mp3. Some people complain they can hear their steps while wearing this mp3, but I never found it was a big deal. For me the advantages were such:

1. No cables and no external item while working out? Awesome. No random pulling out the mp3 by accident while working out. The over the ear band also helps greatly in making sure they don't just randomly fall off. Bluetooth headphones were also great for no cables while working out, but then you have a media device bulge somewhere.

2. Fully water proof. Super sweat shouldn't kill it. Perhaps a sauna or hot tub may due to the heat. But no need to worry about a damp headphone needing constant replacement.

3. Being able to shower with these on has been pretty awesome. There's just something sweet about listening to my wind down music while showering that just really completes the workout for me when I used this.

The slight downside is that many reported their mp3 bricking after a few years. Mine has been going strong so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
^Can't comment on quality, but Costco.ca carries the 8gb for $55 if you want to save a few bucks. And you could return if it sucks.
https://www.costco.ca/SanDisk®-8GB-C...100126197.html

Yeah, that's a decent price. I'm sorta tempted to nab it to leave in my car as a dedicated music player, but I wish it had the option for Rockbox. I think I'm going to stick to my original plan of rooting an Android phone for the car purpose instead.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:06 AM   #12
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Sony's A-series MP3 players are good bang for the buck, and much cheaper than their American retail price if you import them - my 1st gen was from Japan and my 4th gen is from Hong Kong.

A series is a very slick and sweet mp 3 player for sure. I'd definitely consider it to replace my Fiio X3 if it dies as a good value audiophile level mp3 player option. However, it's still perhaps not the best option for running or workouts as it has a size profile similar to a smallish phone which for some might still be considered bulky.

Sony has a few good options though:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-NWZ-B183F...words=sony+mp3
(Super tiny, quite cheap, limited interface)

I think I'd consider this over the clip sport actually.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
...The Clip zip is compatible with rockbox though, however, it's been scalped to kingdom come due to it being discontinued. Most of them work reasonably well, but due to age, the battery life may not been the greatest. Sometimes I regret selling my rockboxed clip zip... but the Fiio X3 I purchased has been nice as well and I didn't need 3 mp3 players as I have a Cowon J3 as well and other misc options...
I don't regret buying it! My original failed about a year ago, I was happy to have yours as my backup.

Sure wish they still sold something that size I could put Rockbox on though.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I think I bought 2 of the Sandisk Clips from Target when they were blowing them out at $12.

You get a lot more functionality with Rockbox, and I used them for running or long flights too. Small and unobtrusive.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:00 PM   #15
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Did Apple stop supporting Nanos on iTunes as well? I tried to put new music on yesterday and I couldn't get it to recognize my device. Looked online and have no idea what to do.
This is why I don't update itunes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post

$4000?! My buck may be different than yours. 16gb for $300 when the nano was $150. How did you import it?

Quote:
I didn't have this specific model, but I had the clip zip which was similar. The sport is a decent mp3 player, especially for running or just lugging around a huge library of music (due to ability to use micro SD). Main issues would be the interface is slightly lesser than other mp3 options, but for running, that's not a major issue. Due to the size, the battery starts showing its age around 3-4 years which might upset you as the mp3 player itself should continue to show it has plenty of mileage to go and lastly, some people feel the clip on the mp3 isn't strong enough, but this is easily moddable.

For the clip sport, it is too bad you cannot put the rockbox firmware on it. Otherwise, it would be the hands down first choice.

The Clip zip is compatible with rockbox though, however, it's been scalped to kingdom come due to it being discontinued. Most of them work reasonably well, but due to age, the battery life may not been the greatest. Sometimes I regret selling my rockboxed clip zip... but the Fiio X3 I purchased has been nice as well and I didn't need 3 mp3 players as I have a Cowon J3 as well and other misc options.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm a big fan of my noise cancelling headphones but maybe the Sony is worth a try since tugging wires has to be the most annoying thing to ever happen.

Looks like I'll have to try out a couple from Sony vs Clip or sport too. I think I'll miss the 16gb my nano has, since I just leave basically all my music on it. It just feels so foreign going away from an ipod since I've had one since 2005. Before that was a discman..

Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #16
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
snip

$4000?! My buck may be different than yours. 16gb for $300 when the nano was $150. How did you import it?

snip

The A-series is the A10, A20, A30, A40, and A50 which are all under $400 CAD including shipping if you buy new from a North American seller. They're all light, small, good battery life, and excellent sound quality for the price point. The A10 is the first gen and A50 is the newest - Sony releases a "new model" each year. The A30-50 series have the same internals and an external metal casing that is surprisingly dent resistant. The A10 and 20 have the same internals, but plastic external casing that will crack easily.

I have no idea about the importing process, but my A17 and my previous NW-A850 were purchased from Japanese stores via Amazon a few years ago. The Japanese shipper took care of everything, although it took three months to arrive. I bought my A45 while I was in Hong Kong earlier this year, which isn't a good example of importing, but it worked out to $225 CAD, which is cheaper than you'll find it from any store in North America. Might be worth a shot to see if any of the big box HK electronic stores like Fortress will ship here.

Last edited by boogerz; 10-15-2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Changed couple to few
boogerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:55 AM   #17
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://filehippo.com/download_itunes/

Download an older version of iTunes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't regret buying it! My original failed about a year ago, I was happy to have yours as my backup.

Sure wish they still sold something that size I could put Rockbox on though.
I am always glad the clip zip found a good home and you could put it to good use It was better than letting it collect dust.

I was looking online and it looks like a certain mp3 player manufacturer AGPTEK might be looking into putting together a small mp3 that is capable of rockbox. They have done a small mp3 player so far, but not one in a clip zip sized package. Here's hoping they figure it out sooner rather than later.

I believe they're cheaper than the sandisk option listed above.

Quote:

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-NWE395-B-...95%2FB+Walkman

You don't need to chase the A series. There are other versions of the walkman that could meet your needs as well for <$200.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-Digital-M...95%2FB+Walkman

The A45 is $300 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-WFSP700N-...9&keywords=mp3

A little steeper for noise canceling looks like this. Sony has some interesting offerings for headphones/ear buds you might like with noise canceling and no/few wires.

Last edited by DoubleF; 10-16-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:07 AM   #18
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://filehippo.com/download_itunes/

Download an older version of iTunes?
I tried to revert to an older version, but then it wouldn't let me access my purchased library.

I found a nano driver from a shady website and that seems to work right now. Pretty annoying anyway.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #19
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I tried to revert to an older version, but then it wouldn't let me access my purchased library.

I found a nano driver from a shady website and that seems to work right now. Pretty annoying anyway.
Damn, I didn't know that. Hopefully you keep your nano chugging for many years and Apple doesn't murder support for your music player.