Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-03-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default My look at Force Unleashed II

I thought I would post this up for any of you star wars freaks that enjoyed the first one.

Story Line - Like the first one, this game is fairly story line intensive. The story starts off where the last one ended. With the apparent death of Star Killer in the light side ending of the first game, we find Star Killer locked in a cage on Kamino when he is comfronted by Darth Vader, who basically informs him that he's a clone of the former star killer, and that cloning a jedi is imperfect. He is then forced to fight replica's of rebel forces but finds himself unable to kill his former love interest Juno. At that point Vader decides that this clone like the others is a failure, which kicks off the events of the game that take you to 5 different very long levels.

This game is story line intensive with a lot of intriguing questions, however it does shred some of the more well known elements of the Star Wars story.

Graphics and Sound - In a word, gorgeous, theres a real artistry to the presentation of the game and the look and feel caused by the graphics and the music. Your environment can be used to great benefit like the last game, and you really feel like your in the galaxy far far away.

the voice acting for the most part is good, except Vader is not quite right and sounds more like Keanu Vader instead of a dark lord of the sith

Game Play - This game is fairly tough in terms of levels and opponents, and the levels are extremely long. The one benefit is that there are a lot of save points throughout the game.

There has been a big improvement in terms enemy balancing. Unlike the first game where you could hack and slash an enemy to death, or equally kill him with force powers. Some enemies are invulnerable to sabres or force powers so you have to be a little more creative in killing them. This game is more boss intensive, with the boss battles being longer and drawn out. The boss on the second level needs to be seen to be believed, and killing it is extremely difficult, but rewarding in the end.

The way that you use force powers have changed slightly, they've improved the targeting for force powers as well. In addition you can now grab Tie Fighters out of the ground and crush them which would have been nice in the first game.

There is a little bit of cheating in this game as it practically prompts you on how to use force powers to get through obstacles and levels.

They've added two new force powers to the game, one being force fury which amps up all of your powers but drains you of vitality. The other is mind trick which can be used to turn your letters against each other, or cause enemies to throw themselvse off of building to their deaths

I will add that there is one level which features an OLD star wars character, and I feel like it was thrown in at the last minutes just to say he was there.

Game Play excitment and replayability - This game is extremely short and can be finished in 5 or 6 hours of game play, which is unfortunate. There is not much replayability to the game unless you want to check out both endings, and they do add some unlockable challenges which is a nice addon. However the only thing that would make you want to replay it is if you wanted the increased difficulty and to grab all of the holocrons. At the end of the game I thought that the game just wasn't worth the $60.00.

Final Thoughts - From a game play perspective this game is a lot of fun, and its always a pleasure to go back to the Star Wars galaxy. The game can be quite challenging as well.

The story line is really good, but it does stamp on what we know about the rebellion and might anger some fans.

I also think that they made StarKiller too powerfull of a jedi. Vader has been amped up this time and is a way bigger challenge to beat. However if you get Starkiller fully loaded he's pretty much unstoppable and instead of worrying about getting through the battle, you keep yourself interested by making the ultimate kill. Force Lift, Saber Throw, Lightning then check the corpse into a industrial fan.

Looking back I should have rented this game instead of buying it. But its clear that the developers have a good eye for detail and wanted to make a good game, its just too short and at times too easy.

As a rental its 8/10
As a buy its 5/10

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

That's disappointing that the game is so short. I also don't like all these lightsaber resistant/force power resistant enemies. There were enough of those in the first game and they pissed me off endlessly. If I have to slog through hundreds of them again...bleh.

I'm glad that the bosses are more interesting though. I'll definitely give this a rental.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Slight size mismatch

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Damn, was it ever short. But still excellent.

It was my favourite Star Wars game since Jedi Outcast, and it was certainly much better than the first Unleashed.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i bought the first one used last week, played it for a couple of hours, and haven't touched it since. it's such a boring God of War clone, especially the bosses. second boss i faced was some crazy jedi on a trash planet who had mechanical spider legs, and as that's the first level where you get force lightning that was the only power he was weak too. so the whole fight was just spamming lightning over and over again since nothing else worked, very boring. the next boss was even worse, since she was only vulnerable to the power you picked up on that mission, force repel. and you have to fight her on this planet with explosive acid spores all over the ground making the whole fight extremely irritating. that's when i stopped playing, i don't like games that use stupid gimmicks to make it hard instead of concentrating on the actual gameplay
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rented it on release day, got home and finished it in about 6 or 7 hours.

Not nearly as groundbreaking as the first was. The controls were a little clunky. The story wasn't compelling at all. Yoda shows up for a brief moment, but the scene is recycled and Yoda's presence is completely underwhelming.

That said, this game consists of some of the most delicious eye candy you will ever find in a game. Rendered beautifully.

Unless there is some major DLC planned then this is NOT worth the buy. Even then, the content better be priced low because the $60 price tag is a major overcharge for a game you can finish in an evening.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote