Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #3321
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have the Kohler Cimarron toilets throughout the house. I've never been more happy with a toilet.

We put 1 of those in, 1 American Standard Cadet, and a Delta (forget the name). All low-water, but not dual flush.

Anyways, the American standard flushes fine, but the sides are "sticky" and catch mess all the time. The Delta to a degree too, but it is the loudest flush. Airplane loud. And sometimes doesn't fully clear out the bowl.

The Kohler Cimarron has since replaced all of them. Nothing ever gets stuck to the sides of the bowl and no matter what you throw at it, its all cleared in 1 flush. (Sometimes I will hold the handle for larger loads just to be safe, and yes, that is a thing). Best toilet, ever.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:14 AM   #3322
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Why not use strip lights? I guess the pucks will work fine though.
I just installed led strip lights under cabinet and not sure how I lived so long without it. Went rgb of course and wifi kit to control with Alexa. Downside is since it’s a rental I have cord running to counter top plug but it is hidden by coffee machine so still looks good.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #3323
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still haven't bought my under counter lights...but had another idea..resident electrician Paperbagger, I have a fluorescent tube light with the 14/2 directly wired into it. Is there a low profile outlet box I could mount externally, that doesn't look ghetto? It will be near the back of the undecided of the cabinet, so mostly hidden, but I don't want a janky metal one. Then I could use the low voltage cables. It's within a few feet of the sink. I've currently got it wired to the load terminals on a GFCI outlet.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:51 AM   #3324
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fundmark, which ones did you go with?
Old 12-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #3325
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Still haven't bought my under counter lights...but had another idea..resident electrician Paperbagger, I have a fluorescent tube light with the 14/2 directly wired into it. Is there a low profile outlet box I could mount externally, that doesn't look ghetto? It will be near the back of the undecided of the cabinet, so mostly hidden, but I don't want a janky metal one. Then I could use the low voltage cables. It's within a few feet of the sink. I've currently got it wired to the load terminals on a GFCI outlet.
Might be tough to find something to fit that bill, your best bet would be to look for a pvc box but off the top of my head I can't think of anything
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #3326
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Might be tough to find something to fit that bill, your best bet would be to look for a pvc box but off the top of my head I can't think of anything
I was looking around and found this, which looks like it would work for me:

https://www.lowes.ca/product/raceway...cal-box-215890
Old 12-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #3327
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was looking around and found this, which looks like it would work for me:

https://www.lowes.ca/product/raceway...cal-box-215890
I've seen those products before but never actually installed any. The raceway portion of it is actually energized though, its not a wire inside of the raceway, similar to track lighting. Im not 100% sure on how you connect the raceway to a power source but you might be able to make it work. It would look cleaner than a metal box though.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #3328
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, ya I shouldn't need any raceway, as long as I can get the wire in the box, it will be directly against the wall. This is from an Amazon review, so it would be something like this, but not painted black, or having exposed 14/2.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #3329
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kohler only makes two flushing mechanisms and they're virtually identical, so all Kohlers will function the same given the same bowl height and elongated/non-elongated.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #3330
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Running new Cat 6 cables in basement, if I was ever going to develop a basement myself I'd have ethernet and power on every wall or install a drop down ceiling. I Have to cut multiple holes in the wall to fish the cable
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #3331
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Running new Cat 6 cables in basement, if I was ever going to develop a basement myself I'd have ethernet and power on every wall or install a drop down ceiling. I Have to cut multiple holes in the wall to fish the cable
Fishing cable is one of my least favourite home jobs. You start trying to make no holes. Then you accept you need one. Then 3, then OMFG what have I done?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #3332
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^ exactly the point I'm at with at least 2 more to go lol
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #3333
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

... but when you get the fish done with no drywall damage, and it only takes you 5 times as long as it would have... crack a beer in satisfaction my friend! You've done it!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #3334
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Doesn't really belong in this thread but does anyone know of a good place to take a chainsaw?

I bought a Husqvarna chainsaw this past summer and it's been a massive piece of crap from day 1. Takes a good 10 minutes to get it started and when you let off the throttle it stalls almost immediately.

It's not the fuel, it's not the sparkplug. I'm wondering if the carb just needs an adjustment.
Your carb needs adjusting to our altitude. These units are likley built at sea level and they need to be calibrated correctly. That what was told to me with mine worked amazing after.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #3335
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Fundmark, which ones did you go with?
I forgot to look back in this thread. Because I have galley style kitchen I needed for both sides so I wanted the double power supply to save 13 bucks.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I bought an extra wifi controller

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only ended up using one of the rolls of leds so I have lots of extra to mess around with other projects. Unfortunately these are dumb led lights so I can't do anything too fun with them in regards to light shows.
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 07:45 PM   #3336
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
I forgot to look back in this thread. Because I have galley style kitchen I needed for both sides so I wanted the double power supply to save 13 bucks.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I bought an extra wifi controller

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only ended up using one of the rolls of leds so I have lots of extra to mess around with other projects. Unfortunately these are dumb led lights so I can't do anything too fun with them in regards to light shows.
You say they are "dumb led's", but they have a controller and app? What's dumb about them?
Old 12-04-2020, 08:39 PM   #3337
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Kohler only makes two flushing mechanisms and they're virtually identical, so all Kohlers will function the same given the same bowl height and elongated/non-elongated.
So all Kohlers will perform the same as long as its the same toilet?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:56 PM   #3338
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a question regarding running toilets. We seem to have a slow creep of running toilets in our house. Started with the upstairs second bath and now it seems the bottom half bath as well. For whatever reason the ensuite toilet doesn't seem to run. I know that the most common cause of a running toilet is a leaky flapper valve. I guess the most prudent course of action would be to replace the toilet hardware, but it wasn't doing it 2 months ago, so why now?

The other thing is that, it seems to happen when another toilet is flushed or even a tap is run. Or the tub emptied. Its not 100% so I don't know if its confirmation bias or if im on to something. That leads me to believe that maybe there's a vent blockage or even a main drain blockage that is creating a bit of a siphon when something goes down the drain.

Curious if others have had this before?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #3339
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
You say they are "dumb led's", but they have a controller and app? What's dumb about them?
Sorry it’s light jargon. Dumb Leds can only be one colour at a time. I prefer to work with pixels which can be individually controlled.

The app works great for that kit and integration into Alexa has been flawless.
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2020, 10:31 AM   #3340
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have noticed that when I have a leaky toilet its usually the fill valve.

Hard water deposits build up over time and it won't close fully and the water spills over into the overflow.

At 16 $ for a replacement I don't bother to try and clean them anymore.

1/2 hour downtime and its good to go again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I have a question regarding running toilets. We seem to have a slow creep of running toilets in our house. Started with the upstairs second bath and now it seems the bottom half bath as well. For whatever reason the ensuite toilet doesn't seem to run. I know that the most common cause of a running toilet is a leaky flapper valve. I guess the most prudent course of action would be to replace the toilet hardware, but it wasn't doing it 2 months ago, so why now?

The other thing is that, it seems to happen when another toilet is flushed or even a tap is run. Or the tub emptied. Its not 100% so I don't know if its confirmation bias or if im on to something. That leads me to believe that maybe there's a vent blockage or even a main drain blockage that is creating a bit of a siphon when something goes down the drain.

Curious if others have had this before?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk