Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-01-2018, 03:00 PM   #21
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
And you make it sound as though he was given an opportunity and made the most of it right off the bat. He was waiver-eligible in his first full season with the Canucks and was really only on the roster by necessity. Through the first three months of the season he was borderline useless; Canucks fans and media were convinced he would be little better than a career AHL/NHL 'tweeter; he had 2 goals and 6 points in his first 25-games.

Baertschi deserves credit for becoming a regular NHL player, but his early struggles had much more to do with him than it did Flames management, and the first several months following his trade to the Canucks amply demonstrated as much.
I'm not defending him as a player per se, but the bottom line is that he was stuck in the minors with Calgary. He got traded, and of his next 208 games, 193 have been as an NHL player. In large part because he got to work on his game at the NHL level, he'll now be earning $3.367M per year for the next 3 years.

Whether or not you think the Flames were right from their perspective in how they treated Baetrschi, I can't see how you can deny that Baertschi made a wise choice from his perspective.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #22
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He wasn't stuck, he sucked and sulked. His junior coached called him out on it and he made significant changes mentally and worked at his game and it paid off. This is by his own admission. If he done that with the Flames he probably would have been in the show a year early. This has little to do with the Flames and more to do with two teams nearly giving up on him in a span of a year.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #23
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
He wasn't stuck, he sucked and sulked. His junior coached called him out on it and he made significant changes mentally and worked at his game and it paid off. This is by his own admission. If he done that with the Flames he probably would have been in the show a year early. This has little to do with the Flames and more to do with two teams nearly giving up on him in a span of a year.
There was actually a bit on TV about how he used his hobby of drawing to get control of his mentality while in Utica. In the same segment Hrudey mentioned he saw Baertschi sulking in the hallway and thought to himself "this kid is never going to make it", and then congratulated Sven on finally turning it around.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:21 PM   #24
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Again, I'm not defending him as a player, just his business decision. And I've never said the Flames did anything wrong. In fact I called it win-win?!?!

But to fact check your response, at what point were the Canucks nearly giving up on him??? After those 15 games in 14/15 he was never sent to the minors again, and at the start of the 15/16 season, when he was struggling, he was in the lineup every night and generally played 8 and 14 minutes per night. He definitely picked it up later in the season, but there's no indication that the Canucks were on the verge of throwing in the towel.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #25
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Again, I'm not defending him as a player, just his business decision. And I've never said the Flames did anything wrong. In fact I called it win-win?!?!

But to fact check your response, at what point were the Canucks nearly giving up on him??? After those 15 games in 14/15 he was never sent to the minors again, and at the start of the 15/16 season, when he was struggling, he was in the lineup every night and generally played 8 and 14 minutes per night. He definitely picked it up later in the season, but there's no indication that the Canucks were on the verge of throwing in the towel.
There was lots of talk from the Canucks brass on what to do with Sven and yes he was kept on the roster which was already mentioned since he was waiver eligible. There was lots of talk about waiving him and taking the risk of losing him after a short stay to the season . Green had been all over him to basically smarten up as he was not putting the effort in like he did in junior. Canucks kept him up and he turned it around. He was being told the same things from the Canucks as the Flames said, it was the risk of being cut again and Green working with him that straightened him out.

You can say that leaving was what got him going, it is that narrative I disagree with. He finally listened to his coaches and got off of his ass. If he'd done that with the Flames from the get go he would have been in the NHL sooner. He flat out admit he didn't put the work in with the Flames and didn't handle what was being asked of him well.

But yes, it was a win win for the teams and the player and I happy with Rasmus.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #26
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

previous to the signing a lot of vancouver media weren't sold on baertschi ... i think the contract puts an even bigger spotlight on him... frankly, I don't see him continuing with a 16% shooting percentage even if he's on a line with Boeser and Horvat... a correction will occur

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey...-blocks-or-not

https://thecanuckway.com/2018/04/21/...chi-necessary/

https://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2018...sven-baertschi
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #27
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Perfect . Another great signing from Dim Jim
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:24 PM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a heck of a lot better than what they gave to Beagle and Roussel at least.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:36 PM   #29
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That's a heck of a lot better than what they gave to Beagle and Roussel at least.

RFA vs UFA

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #30
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mason Raymond 2.0 lmao.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #31
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Mason Raymond 2.0 lmao.

I agree, he will be a 20 goal scorer for the Canucks.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:40 PM   #32
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Andersson may be better, but Sven could have fit this teams core if he didn't get injury problems/confidence and work ethic issues.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy will likely never play close to an 80 game season. He's already had a few concussions and is simply a fragile player. He's got some talent but it's tough to ever get footing when his seasons always seem to get derailed with injuries.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:58 PM   #34
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I can say is: "Ha ha!"

Baertschi to me is still only a notch above tweener level. He always underwhelms whenever I catch the Canucks. Skilled? Absolutely! Just underwhelming.

I don't think that the Canucks even have to improve that much before Sven gets pushed out of the lineup. That seems like a contract that is simply too rich for a player like Sven.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:11 PM   #35
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sven is not built for the playoffs. He’s too soft to get the job done when the game is on the line.

He will continue to put up ok numbers on the Canucks during the regular season. That’s about it.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #36
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's fine that Sven doesn't put up points in the playoffs, the nucks won't have to worry about that for a while.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 AM   #37
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that if we didn't have the history with Sven we'd all be saying this is a pretty fair deal for his production. It's under 4 million for a guy that can put up some secondary offense and the term is very reasonable. It's a pretty solid deal.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 AM   #38
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depending on what he signs for this deal could make Lindholm look like an absolute steal
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #39
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He is definitely injury prone, even in juniors he tended to be fragile. We were all excited to see him in the world juniors in Calgary and he could not even get through one game.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:48 AM   #40
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
He was initially sent to the Canucks AHL team when the trade went down, playing 15 games, but was called up to end the NHL season and never looked back. You make it sound like he continued to toil in the minors until he made big changes, which is not true.
He didn't look back because he became a 2 way player, he has said his time with Green helped him a lot for the next season

He still didnt play top 6 minutes right away either with vancouver, he very much earned them, some guys just need a fresh start or a different coaching style

Hes become a quality 2nd line winger, regardless of the team, hes good in his own zone, and has shown creative flashes. With the sedins gone its very likely he gets at least pp2 time this year and his points should go up even more.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote