Exp:

I've gotta hand it to the wizard. He's got me back on board
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #323
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance we can just lock this thread up? Or change the title to DO NOT Fire Brad Treliving?
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #324
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zoller! Edit the thread title to 'Do Not'
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #325
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

The woahs of Brad treliving
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 12:47 PM   #326
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This past season was incredibly frustrating. Watching this emotionless team get dummied at the Dome on too many occasions meant massive change was needed. For myself there were 2 moves that NEEDED to happen the first was firing Gulutzan as I felt he was a huge part of the culture and problem with the team. The other move that had to happen was moving Dougie Hamilton. I felt as an asset he had sky high value but I also felt that something was definitely off with him.

Treliving adding Peter’s was not my top choice but I understood the move. Glad that Gulutzan was let go and happy the Flames got their guy. It became clear that the Flames were going to move Hamilton as the draft weekend approached. Treliving took a fairly large risk but a risk that made a ton of sense for the team. He was able to acquire a Dman with similar if not greater upside and a coveted right shot forward. He also had to include fan favorite Ferland and top prospect Fox. With Ferland’s inconsistency and contract situation and Fox not signing it made sense to add them to the package and get back the players we needed.

My concern after the deal was the significant work that Treliving needed to do to improve the scoring. Lindholm is an upgrade on Ferland but not a massive one. If anything the offense got a little worse when taking Hamilton and Hanifin into the equation. We all knew Derek Ryan was coming here and that occurred. It was nice to win the Czarnik sweepstakes as he could be a steal but again far from a sure thing. Today’s signing of James Neal at a respectable free agent contract was the last big win that has me extremely optimistic about next season. Coupled with the addition of Lindholm the Flames top 6 is vastly improved.

So far I would say the Flames have improved the most out of the Pacific division teams. Now if Vegas lands Karlsson or the King’s snag Skinner it could be up for debate but when looking at our neighbors to the north who had an equally if not greater disappointing season I am thankful we have Treliving looking after our squad.

Last edited by Vinny01; 07-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #327
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

While BT may be in the good books now, we all know every GM's time will come one day.

This thread can serve as a place for that discussion.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #328
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hail the wizard that is Brad Treliving
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #329
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
While BT may be in the good books now, we all know every GM's time will come one day.

This thread can serve as a place for that discussion.
People are fickle. He's in the good books right now because people are more focused on the new toys than the fact that things sucked last year after three years of him in charge. It's not like Arizona ever turned things around while he was there learning with Maloney, and now we have Carolina's coach and three of their players added. Did they take their teams anywhere?

I do like that he has the guts to make changes and is active in trades and signings, but I care a lot more about whether the team is fun to cheer for during the season than during the summertime when the only activity the Flames have is around the draft and free agency as a result of the actual hockey being no good. I also acknowledge that nobody has won the big prizes until they do it the first time. Still, making changes is the off-season isn't what makes me a fan. I'll view him positively if the team stops being boring and starts winning in the playoffs, but not otherwise.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #330
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who knows maybe he read this thread and got his ass in gear.
It really wasn't looking good for him after last season's gong show.

Good on him to make good.
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:24 PM   #331
Eric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
People are fickle. He's in the good books right now because people are more focused on the new toys than the fact that things sucked last year after three years of him in charge. It's not like Arizona ever turned things around while he was there learning with Maloney, and now we have Carolina's coach and three of their players added. Did they take their teams anywhere?

I do like that he has the guts to make changes and is active in trades and signings, but I care a lot more about whether the team is fun to cheer for during the season than during the summertime when the only activity the Flames have is around the draft and free agency as a result of the actual hockey being no good. I also acknowledge that nobody has won the big prizes until they do it the first time. Still, making changes is the off-season isn't what makes me a fan. I'll view him positively if the team stops being boring and starts winning in the playoffs, but not otherwise.
I understand your point, but at the end of the day Treliving doesn’t lace up the skates. He can’t see into the future either. Since he took over as GM I’ve been a fan of 90% of his decisions, and that’s more than I can say about most GMs in this league.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:32 PM   #332
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really is impressive how he was able to reshape the team and get me excited for the season in early July.

While I really liked the trade with the Hurricanes I did not see any of the big name free agents coming here so I failed to see how the goal scoring improved. I started thinking about Jankowski or Bennett trades but to get Neal on a fairly affordable contract was a great move in addition to the depth he added the day before.

Neal, Lindholm, Czarnik, Ryan in for Ferland, Versteeg, Stajan, Stewart/Glass/Jagr is a fairly sizable upgrade. Going from Hamilton to Hanifin is not a giant downgrade and no futures picks were traded to bolster the lineup. Pulling off a great hockey trade and wining some free agent negotiations really set this team up for next year. Outside of a couple rfa deals all his heavy lifting is done early.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #333
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
Who knows maybe he read this thread and got his ass in gear.
It really wasn't looking good for him after last season's gong show.

Good on him to make good.
Green text on the first part?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #334
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I understand your point, but at the end of the day Treliving doesn’t lace up the skates. He can’t see into the future either. Since he took over as GM I’ve been a fan of 90% of his decisions, and that’s more than I can say about most GMs in this league.
Agreed that he doesn't lace up the skates, and I'm also impressed with his ability to make big changes that look good. At the end of the day though, I also know that I don't really have the knowledge or insight to make smart assessments of what's going on with the team and the best way to build it. I can armchair GM from the sidelines on what looks like a good roster, good contracts or good coaches, but I'm just an unprofessional, ignorant speculator. I simply don't have the inside knowledge to assess his decisions before I see outcomes. The only thing I really can judge him fairly on is the outcomes.

If the outcomes are great at the end of this season, he will have won me back over. If the outcomes continue to suck, I think he should be gone. A player with all the skills but who never puts it together on the ice or a CEO with great background whose company keeps underperforming are the same. The outcomes are ultimately what matter. His outcomes so far are not good. Treliving can build any team he wants, but if the Flames continue to perform like the Arizona Coyotes then he should be gone.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote