Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #41
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Was it this guy the Flames were scouting?

Michael Lindqvist RW DOB 94 5’11 33-20-14-34 1.03

He signed with the Rangers.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #42
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Was it this guy the Flames were scouting?

Michael Lindqvist RW DOB 94 5’11 33-20-14-34 1.03
That guy is signed with the Rangers.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #43
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I mean, Derek Ryan was a sniper when he played in Sweden.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #44
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I mean, Derek Ryan was a sniper when he played in Sweden.
Will Derek Ryan and Tomas Vanek need some restraining orders? Do you like what they have done with their bathrooms? How many lockets of hair do you have or theirs?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #45
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Did they say Don Maloney works for Tre now? I couldn't really hear it as I was on the side. King mentioned something about the org structure.
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #46
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
A few things from tonight that I remember...

- 3rd jerseys are coming
Yaaaaaaay

Quote:
won't be black
Booooo

Quote:
and a fan liked the retro's and I believe KK said he would be happy
I don't like it, I don't agree with it, but I accept it
Old 06-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #47
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Tre singled out 3 guys that will battle for a regular spot Mangiapane, Foo and Ras plus few others.
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #48
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrader View Post
Did they say Don Maloney works for Tre now? I couldn't really hear it as I was on the side. King mentioned something about the org structure.
I presume so, if Treliving has ascended to Burke's role in addition to his General Managership. Maloney reported to Burke before.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #49
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Well yeah for sure haha. I was thinking more low key I guess.
Oh I know... It's always some low key guy, I was mostly joking (I want Kovelchuk of course but I don't think anyone would call him a "European Free Agent"). Sure would be nice if we could be the team that signs the Panerin.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 10:51 PM   #50
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reading in between the lines in response to a fan question, it sure sounded as if Tre will put together a package for Tavares if he hits UFA, but he made it sound like a lot of it will hinge on whether the player sees Calgary as the right fit.

He also made it sound like Brouwer wont be bought out by saying "hasn't lived up to his expectations...yet" as in he'll get another chance.

I was sure hoping to hear someone ask to what extent Brodies, Brouwers and Bennetts issues were system or style related (ie - partially GGs fault) vs what was on the players.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #51
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple things going off memory, as it has been mentioned Treliving talked about the young core. He mentioned the usual bunch, but at the end said he would throw in Brodie.

One of the amusing stories was when the team was out at the combine, Brady was outside the flames suite getting coached via FaceTime by Matt. Treliving interrupted them, but Matty was telling Brady what Treliving likes to hear and that Conroy likes to talk.

Regarding the new arena, pretty much hinted that there was a non disclosure agreement during the last round of discussions, but all sort of things came out. Said next negotiations will be in private, so pretty much admitting they are at the table or will be going.

Regarding the euro signing, I thought it was more along the lines that they hope to announce. So not signed sealed and delivered.

From a lot of the discussions hockey ops had they tinkered with their analytics.

Treliving also mentioned that Peters is a guy that does a lot based on merit. Doesn't care about contract, ice time will be earned. Also mentioned that people shouldn't get caught up on who goes to China, the players going over shouldn't be considered as making the team.

Pretty much my brain dump from the event.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #52
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The older gentleman complaining about the Flames drafting Trevor Kidd when they could have drafter Martin Brodeur was good for a laugh. Treliving said he couldn't take the credit for drafting Kidd but he did mention he had the chance to play with him in the minors.
That guy was hilarious. For those who weren't there, this guy got up and started listing off every player he didn't like, starting with Brouwer (who didn't fare well in the fan comments tonight) and eventually making it to the goaltending. This led to a complaint about the fact that the Flames haven't drafted and developed a starting goalie since Vernon and that they swapped picks with New Jersey to get Kidd and the Devils took Brodeur with that pick.

Later on, Treliving was telling a story about the Combine last week. He mentioned that they went to the Combine the same way they do every year even though they don't have a first round pick. They still interviewed a bunch of guys. They had an interview set up with Brady Tkachuk. Treliving said he took a break to go to the washroom while the guys were finishing up with the previous interview and he heard odd noises coming from the hallway where Tkachuk was waiting. It turns out, Brady was Facetiming with Matthew and Matthew was telling him all about the Flames guys, including how Conny would talk his ear off.

When he started telling that story, Treliving had the line of the night saying that the guy from earlier had probably already classified Brady as horse ####.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantrader View Post
Yes, the reporting structure has Maloney reporting to Treliving.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:48 PM   #53
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Brady drops to four (as in, round four)!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2018, 06:24 AM   #54
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

God I love Treliving. The last question of the night was "what are you going to do to get us a cup?". His deadpan response: "Well. You saved the best for last."
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #55
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the notes from the attendees. Some good comments and always appreciate the insider info.

Interesting notes on Monahan being shut down by the Flames and being pissed about it. Admittedly I was one of those who questioned his 'heart' and said he probably doesn't hate losing enough. It appears I was dead wrong and wholeheartedly admit I should have kept my mouth shut. Pretty crazy he was getting daily injections since December. It coincides with his slow decline as the season went on. He was PPG and on pace for 40+ goals until about that point. Then slowly but surely his numbers and play went down.

IMO he proved he has another tier to reachand is on the verge of achieving it. If he can stay healthy all season alongside Gaudreau and they find more consistency on the top RW spot, he very well might reach PPG and close to 40 goals. That would be absolutely huge in helping the Flames take the next step. He might not show the emotion of an Ovechkin or Giordano on the ice. But no one should ever again question his heart or desire to help this team win.

It will be an interesting off season for the Flames, even without any top draft pick selections. A big backlog on the back end is now rearing it's beautiful head. IMO that's the best 'problem' to have as those are highly sought commodities around the league and BT should be able to utilise those are trade chips to improve the team.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #56
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listening to Treliving last night, he still believes in the core of the team he built - and I think he should. When listing off his young core, he specifically named Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Hamilton and then at the end of that train of thought he also included Brodie and Bennett.

I walked away from last night wondering what roster changes he was alluding to (as far as subtractions are concerned), and the only two players I can really think of are Frolik and Brouwer, and I have a hard time believing Frolik is going to get moved.

I think we're going to see Treliving go big game hunting on July 1st for the first time in his career. If he can add two legit scoring threats up front, and we have the cap-space to do just that, then we're going to bounce from "asset depleted" right into being a deep team at all positions, which Treliving mentioned was one of his goals when he took over.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #57
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Like the fact that Tre included Bennett as a core member. Means that they will have patience which will only pay off instead of trading him for peanuts.

Still need to have patience though as our best players are just starting to enter thier prime.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 08:17 AM   #58
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think if the right player is there then Treliving will go hunting. General sense is that the team knows you overpay in term and salary in the UFA market so they need to get it right. Hearing they spent some time tweaking how they evaluate players with analytics hopefully helps them a little more.

Also, one thing that I don't think has been mentioned, to start it off KK just posed the question to the audience if they enjoy the pageantry that Vegas is bringing. Audience response was pretty mixed. At the end of the day it sounds like they will be making the effort to try and change the whole experience. Asked people to feel free to email what is working and what isn't working. IMO they fell into the trap of thinking this is a hockey market, they just want hockey. In looking around at the audience responses I think there was a pretty clear demographic division.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #59
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
He also made it sound like Brouwer wont be bought out by saying "hasn't lived up to his expectations...yet" as in he'll get another chance.
That is to bad

After listening to Pinder constantly bringing it up on the Fan 960 he has convinced me that a buy out now is the right move
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #60
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Like the fact that Tre included Bennett as a core member. Means that they will have patience which will only pay off instead of trading him for peanuts.

Still need to have patience though as our best players are just starting to enter thier prime.
A big part of what Treliving talked about last night, including in regards to Brouwer, is that they're still very focused on improving the players they have and focusing in on how they can better set them up for success.

One thing I did take away from last night, which was mentioned earlier, is that Tree did appear rather critical of Gully in terms of how he handed out ice time to players who perhaps did not really deserve that ice time - while also saying he could understand why Gully did it, as Gully wanted stability (this was specifically in regards to Brouwer's PP ice-time, if I'm remembering the question right).
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post: