Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-09-2017, 11:36 PM   #41
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
IIRC they do the Jets and Sens with some Canadiens and Leaf games. On Centre Ice when we play these teams TSN is the broadcast I get.
Didn't they buy the old Hockey Night in Canada theme song? Is that more or less dead now for most Canadians then? That would be terribly lame.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 AM   #42
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Sureloss and AC. They always seem to get me right as I need to leave the house.
You really need to get indoor plumbing!
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #43
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Did TSN stop doing hockey?
Sorry, should have clarified. They don't do AS MUCH hockey as they used to. Which is sad, because no one really has anything good to say about Sportsnet.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OmegaV4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #44
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great interview best part was Tre acknowledging that this team still needs more scoring, whether it's our young players taking a step forward or by adding another scoring piece. The Flames are so close but adding another scoring winger could really make them elite.
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #45
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
Sorry, should have clarified. They don't do AS MUCH hockey as they used to. Which is sad, because no one really has anything good to say about Sportsnet.
Well, maybe I am in the minority but I quite appreciate the massive increase in televised games since Sportsnet took over the NHL. There are many things about which to complain, but this is a huge "win" from my perspective: living out of market my viewership of Flames increased from about a dozen every year to more than twenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #46
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've said it before and i'll say it again, the two players who will push the team over the edge are Ferland and Bennett.

Ferland will be a 20/20+ guy if he's riding shotgun on that top line, I don't get why people keep overlooking him time and time again.
Bennett I honestly have no clue how he'll do this year, but I'm extremely hopeful he breaks out. There should be no excuses this year, it's a make or break season.
Treliving also mentioned that he really believes Bennett can and will break out this year.

I also agree that we need to try and solve our problems (scoring) internally as much as possible.
Going after Jagr right now pretty much signals that none of our prospects are ready to take the next step this year. When Tre said the kids need to come in and take a job away from someone, I feel that refers to both players in and out (UFA's) of the organization.
That signing or any other signing if it happens at all, imo won't happen until after training camp at the earliest.

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 09-10-2017 at 02:35 PM.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #47
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Bob McKenzie's 51 minute interview with Brad Treliving

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
...Bennett I honestly have no clue how he'll do this year, but I'm extremely hopeful he breaks out. There should be no excuses this year, it's a make or break season.
Treliving also mentioned that he really believes Bennett can and will break out this year...
What does this mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #48
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What does this mean?
There is a vocal section of the fanbase that are ready to move on from Bennett due to the fact he is not a superstar before he turned 21. That same faction within the fanbase is now saying it is make or break for young Sam. Many others in the fanbase are happy to be patient and still see him as a star player but acknowledge it will take longer to get there than it was initially thought.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:17 PM   #49
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What does this mean?

Haha, what Vinny said. No chance this team gives up on Sam, that would be oileresque stupid to trade this kid away.

He will be fine and we will see trend upwards, we've already seen it with him. Be patient, stay the course.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #50
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
There is a vocal section of the fanbase that are ready to move on from Bennett due to the fact he is not a superstar before he turned 21. That same faction within the fanbase is now saying it is make or break for young Sam. Many others in the fanbase are happy to be patient and still see him as a star player but acknowledge it will take longer to get there than it was initially thought.
Ready to move on? I don't believe there are a lot of fans who want to "move on" from Bennett. I love how he plays and I specifically said Bennett will be the player to put the Flames over the top.
With that said, I also fully acknowledge that he may never reach his potential and will potentially be a lesser player than a whole bunch of players from his draft class.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to think that if i'm drafting a forward in the top5, I don't want a project player. I'm expecting the player to have an impact before the end of his ELC, other wise whats the point of drafting so high? Players picked in that range are picked because they have top line potential and are expected to reach it soon.
For most top5 drafted forwards, their career trajectory can be directly correlated to how they performed in their first 3-4years.

Maybe "make or break" wasn't the right term to use for Bennett, but this is definitely an important year to show mgmt and the fans as to how much of his potential is attainable.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:31 AM   #51
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Ready to move on? I don't believe there are a lot of fans who want to "move on" from Bennett. I love how he plays and I specifically said Bennett will be the player to put the Flames over the top.
With that said, I also fully acknowledge that he may never reach his potential and will potentially be a lesser player than a whole bunch of players from his draft class.

I also don't think it's unreasonable to think that if i'm drafting a forward in the top5, I don't want a project player. I'm expecting the player to have an impact before the end of his ELC, other wise whats the point of drafting so high? Players picked in that range are picked because they have top line potential and are expected to reach it soon.
For most top5 drafted forwards, their career trajectory can be directly correlated to how they performed in their first 3-4years.

Maybe "make or break" wasn't the right term to use for Bennett, but this is definitely an important year to show mgmt and the fans as to how much of his potential is attainable.
It's an important year for sure. But I have to disagree with your view that top picks are expected to have early impacts. The point is to get the best NHLer and how long they take to do that isn't the motivating factor. You don't take the kids you think will peak earliest, you take the kid you think will be the best NHLer when fully developed. Bennett isn't a project pick and that type of thinking betrays some impatience IMO. One thing you haven't noted that is important is that Bennett basically lost almost an entire year due to injury/surgery. So in reality he's basically a year behind his peers who did not lose a year. Also notable is that the Flames drafted Bennett partway through the rebuild. Had he been drafted earlier in the rebuild he likely would've been handed a bigger role sooner, with more ice time and better line mates. IMO if you switch the years we drafted Bennett and Monahan and if Bennett doesn't lose a season due to injury Bennett might already be our top centre.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 AM   #52
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
It's an important year for sure. But I have to disagree with your view that top picks are expected to have early impacts. The point is to get the best NHLer and how long they take to do that isn't the motivating factor. You don't take the kids you think will peak earliest, you take the kid you think will be the best NHLer when fully developed. Bennett isn't a project pick and that type of thinking betrays some impatience IMO. One thing you haven't noted that is important is that Bennett basically lost almost an entire year due to injury/surgery. So in reality he's basically a year behind his peers who did not lose a year. Also notable is that the Flames drafted Bennett partway through the rebuild. Had he been drafted earlier in the rebuild he likely would've been handed a bigger role sooner, with more ice time and better line mates. IMO if you switch the years we drafted Bennett and Monahan and if Bennett doesn't lose a season due to injury Bennett might already be our top centre.
Injuries, role etc etc are all fair points, but never the less, at the end of next season, Bennett will be near that ~250-300 games played range at which point you pretty much know what type of player you have on your hands.
Take a look at the 2012 and 2013 draft where most of those players are in that games played range right now. They have essentially established the type of player they're going to be for the rest of their careers.

I realize I may come off as a little harsh on him but I sincerely want him to do well and put everything together.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #53
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's the point of drafting so high? Timeline shouldn't factor in. Only ceiling, floor, likelyhood to hit ceiling, and likelyhood to find similar talent later in the draft.

If a project player has a legitimate chance to be impactful as the next Joe Thornton, Pavel Datsyuk or Peter Forsberg, has the floor of an NHL player, you should take that player every time, regardless of where your draft position is or how long it may take to develop into the projected player. Burke, who I often criticize, knows this... he's a guy who has drafted guys like Kadri, the Sedin twins, Pronger, Bobby Ryan, even Morgan Rielly very high in the draft... where were these guys during their draft+4 or 21 year old seasons VS their prime?

Quote:
Most top 5 drafted forwards also get plopped into scoring roles on shallow teams with a probable hole at every position. Bennett's situation wasn't so convenient. Bennett would not be the #1 center on the New Jersey Devils with Taylor Hall on his LW? Unless you think Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, or Backlund don't deserve to be top 6 forwards at LW or C respectively, you're basically stuck with Bennett in an unideal situation to break out - which is still okay.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:02 AM   #54
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Injuries, role etc etc are all fair points, but never the less, at the end of next season, Bennett will be near that ~250-300 games played range at which point you pretty much know what type of player you have on your hands.
That's not really true though. Every player is unique. Players develop at different rates. Players have different strengths, weaknesses, and obstacles to overcome. Every player has different opportunities, ice time, line mates. Some players peak early. Some players take a few years to hit their strides (Blake Wheeler taken 5th overall for example.) Wheeler despite not signing with the team that drafted him is a good example of taking a kid who isn't expected to peak early. He was always a project pick and had he been signed he would've been a great pick. Brayden Schenn another kid picked 5th overall didn't really hit his stride until 6 years after his draft. Doesn't make the pick a bad pick, you certainly wouldn't rather have Scott Glennie or Paajarvi-Svensson over him, two of the forwards taken in the top 10 after him. Scheiffele wasn't a top 5 pick but he didn't break out until 4 years after being drafted. Pretty sure WPG is pretty happy they were patient with him. Kyle Turris was a skinny kid when drafted and took a few years and a trade to fully develop but that doesn't make him a bad pick especially compared to a complete bust taken in the top 10 that year like Zach Hamill or the somewhat disappointing Sam Gagner who never developed into a foundational NHLer.

You're trying to generalize and I understand that tendency. But we're talking about unique players and unique situations and therefore generalizing holds limited value in analysis. There are specific reasons why Bennett may be a little behind his peers and I've pointed them out (injuries and opportunity) and if you aren't taking those into account then you aren't really doing an honest appraisal of the situation.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:04 AM   #55
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett's bum shoulder changed parameters.

The Flames 2015 playoff run made it more complicated. After burning his first year, there was no option to send him back.

Bennett isn't far behind or further ahead of where he should be. Now the 2yr bridge will allow for proper evaluation.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dying4acup For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #56
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

finally watched the whole thing (thanks TSN for not geoblocking for once). No ground-breaking info but very enjoyable ... an hour really flies by when an intelligent and well-spoken GM speaks to the best hockey journalist in the world. Great stuff.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #57
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
What's the point of drafting so high? Timeline shouldn't factor in. Only ceiling, floor, likelyhood to hit ceiling, and likelyhood to find similar talent later in the draft.

If a project player has a legitimate chance to be impactful as the next Joe Thornton, Pavel Datsyuk or Peter Forsberg, has the floor of an NHL player, you should take that player every time, regardless of where your draft position is or how long it may take to develop into the projected player. Burke, who I often criticize, knows this... he's a guy who has drafted guys like Kadri, the Sedin twins, Pronger, Bobby Ryan, even Morgan Rielly very high in the draft... where were these guys during their draft+4 or 21 year old seasons VS their prime?

Most top 5 drafted forwards also get plopped into scoring roles on shallow teams with a probable hole at every position. Bennett's situation wasn't so convenient. Bennett would not be the #1 center on the New Jersey Devils with Taylor Hall on his LW? Unless you think Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, or Backlund don't deserve to be top 6 forwards at LW or C respectively, you're basically stuck with Bennett in an unideal situation to break out - which is still okay.
I really don't get this sentiment. I think Bennett is in a perfect position for his age and pedigree. He is not under pressure to perform as a team offensive driver. The top opponents players will be getting deployed against Monahan. He's not stuck riding a shut down line because we have a top-tier defensive centre. So he gets soft minutes, offensive zone starts and hopefully this year, decent linemates. Versteeg is a very talented player with strong veteran presence and their are many (good) possibilities on the other side. Brouwer bounce back? Foo? Jankowski? Possibly Tkachuk as Backlund and Frolik are assigned yet another youngster to show how to play hockey? Potential surprises ffrom Klimchuk/Poirier/Shinkariuk/ and on down the list.

Not to mention he's not a young guy surrounded by a bunch of married men with kids. Most of the budding core of this team are his age group.

I think the path is as clear as it can be for a Sam Bennett break out and it's really all in his hands to make it happen.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:52 PM   #58
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well, maybe I am in the minority but I quite appreciate the massive increase in televised games since Sportsnet took over the NHL. There are many things about which to complain, but this is a huge "win" from my perspective: living out of market my viewership of Flames increased from about a dozen every year to more than twenty.
Quantity without the quality.

There's no production value at SN. How many times can they mix up Freddie with Dougie?

Sigh

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear View Post
Quantity without the quality.

There's no production value at SN. How many times can they mix up Freddie with Dougie?

Sigh

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
I think that was a running joke. As for quality, I never even noticed the sound issues, even after some posters complained (over and over). Picture quality -
I also didn't notice a huge difference (but then I grew up on old HNIC and Channel 7 hockey).

The normal local commentating team of Ball and Hrudey is second to none IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #60
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The picture quality has improved. I used to exclusively use the other team's broadcasts in my videos as they were super quality. Now I just use the alternate live feed for home games to remove the superimposed ads. There are also a lot of alternate replay angles with glaringly superior cameras that I use as well.

The sound is significantly off though because of the ads. When it cuts from live to a closeup camera, the time jumps noticeably. Its a pain to edit with.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: