Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #841
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like they are planning to use Roger's Place for hockey and CommonWealth stadium for the opening/closing ceremonies. What a joke.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #842
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Just like the arena situation, all the best, most meaningful reporting is coming from the Globe and Mail and not from anything local. Wonder why that is.
It's kinda sad how far Calgary's media has fallen. No tough investigative reporting of powerful interests. It's basically small-town boosterism at this point.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 PM   #843
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Looks like they are planning to use Roger's Place for hockey and CommonWealth stadium for the opening/closing ceremonies. What a joke.
I can't believe people could not see this coming ... I have absolutely no interest in sharing the Olympics with Edmonton so they can have the premier events and we get what ?? How does this benefit Calgary ??
stamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #844
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I guess we will never get a new arena and stadium ....
Old 11-20-2017, 08:33 PM   #845
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As far as I'm concerned they can use all the tax money they plan on using for this Olympics and put it to use towards building a new arena and stadium ...
Old 11-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #846
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see the value in doing in the Olympics if all the events, let alone the main ones, can't be done in the Calgary region.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #847
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It's kinda sad how far Calgary's media has fallen. No tough investigative reporting of powerful interests. It's basically small-town boosterism at this point.
and yet you can't really blame them can you? Nobody wants to pay for good solid journalism anymore...

Meanwhile this has 'crippling financial disaster' written all over it. I wish our city would just walk away.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 09:56 PM   #848
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I have no reason to doubt this claim but where was this pointed out? I had a quick scan of the Globe pieces and I never saw that.

It's my understanding from the preliminary reports presented to council that the main hockey venue would be the "proposed yet to be built new arena" followed by the Stampede Corral with a muli-million dollar renovation. The Saddledome would be used for figure skating and other skating style events.

Open and closing ceremonies would be done at Stampede Grandstand venue.

Personally all of this seems lunacy to me regardless.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 PM   #849
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Edmonton has anything to do with this Olympic bid then I vote we pull the plug now. I don’t want to share anything with them! E=NG
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #850
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I have no reason to doubt this claim but where was this pointed out? I had a quick scan of the Globe pieces and I never saw that.

It's my understanding from the preliminary reports presented to council that the main hockey venue would be the "proposed yet to be built new arena" followed by the Stampede Corral with a muli-million dollar renovation. The Saddledome would be used for figure skating and other skating style events.

Open and closing ceremonies would be done at Stampede Grandstand venue.

Personally all of this seems lunacy to me regardless.
"Staff wants "to specifically explore venues outside of Calgary … in order to reduce the costs of hosting the 2026" Olympics, the supplemental agenda document says."

Why build new facilities in your own city when other cities have them already?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #851
stamps
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
"Staff wants "to specifically explore venues outside of Calgary … in order to reduce the costs of hosting the 2026" Olympics, the supplemental agenda document says."

Why build new facilities in your own city when other cities have them already?
Because building the new facilities here benefit Calgary and our region .... and the purpose of holding these games would be to promote our region , which Edmonton is not a part of ... if the province is so concerned about hurting Edmonton's feelings then let them have the whole thing and refund my tax dollars on this exploratory bid and put it towards a new arena and stadium in Calgary ...
Old 11-21-2017, 02:58 AM   #852
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole draw of the Olympics is that you have all the best athletes in the world from every sport together in the same place competing at the same time. If you start spreading things around, you lose the appeal of the Olympics.

That said, re-using the ski jumps in Whistler likely makes the most sense for 2026. Ski Jumping is a relatively low-popularity sport in North America. It doesn't have that many competition events at the Olympics and it requires a specialized venue that can't really be repurposed for something else afterwards (I believe the only thing the big tower at COP is used for now is ziplining).

The other options for ski jumping are either to renovate/upgrade the jumps at COP or build completely new jumps elsewhere (likely in Canmore). Neither option would be cheap (and upgrading COP might not even be possible with the construction that has gone on around there in recent years).

All the other events should be held in the Calgary/Canmore/Banff region. The only other city that should be looked at is Red Deer to host the curling competition. If the new arena, Saddledome, Corral/new practice rink are allocated for hockey and figure skating/short track, they'll need a building in the 6000-8000 capacity range for curling. In that case, the Centrium is probably the best option and is about the same travel time as Banff from downtown Calgary.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:21 AM   #853
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new Fieldhouse will host curling
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #854
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would I want this if we don't even get the actual hockey in Calgary? Who thought this was a good idea? Why should we spend another dime on this?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #855
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
The new Fieldhouse will host curling
That's what is suggested in the report, but I can't see any way it survives to the actual bid. It shoehorns something into the field house that doesn't really belong.

The only way using the field house for curling would make sense is if the project involved tearing down the Bauer and Bush arenas (which it most-likely will) and re-building one of them to have at least temporary capacity of 6000 and using it for the Olympics, but that's not what is proposed.

The other obvious problem with using the field house for the Olympics is that the field house would need to be built in time for the Olympics. That's certainly no guarantee.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 AM   #856
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm sure the report will come out saying other venues outside Calgary were looked at, however it's more economic and in the best interest of the Olympic spirit for all events to be centered in Calgary and the Alpine events to be centered in Canmore. blah blah blah.

I think this is just an early way to say were considering everything.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #857
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I would still recommend reading Jason Markusoff's work. Used to be a good writer for the Herald and now still covers the Province for Maclean's.

That is the problem with all local media, though; the National/International media is always the most critical because they don't have to bend the knee to local advertising and access like locals do.

Last edited by Cappy; 11-21-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #858
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
you should be more concerned about the reports that Calgary Bid Exploration Committee has buried reports that show their economic numbers appear to be nowhere near accurate.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #859
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ski jumps and sledding tracks in Canmore would be cool, especially if they could link the Nordic Centre to downtown with a gondola -also an Olympic Plaza at the downtown gondola station.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:52 PM   #860
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

IF they wanted Edmonton part of it they would need to build that high speed rail between the city. That alone is estimated to cost multiple CalgaryNexts.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote